Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846359 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #360 on: August 16, 2014, 10:31:02 am »

Hiya,

Given the immediate responses to my most recent question, I wanted to clarify it.  Originally in the 31.xx releases, if your chosen civ was dead, the fort never received traders or migrants after the first autumn or so.  It was then changed at some point in response to confusion/questions/(possible complaints?) from the players so that now, even if the civ has been dead hundreds of years, every fort gets randomly-generated traders and migrants until it hits the pop cap.I was wondering if there were plans to remove the random generation of traders for dead civs now that there is a warning saying that the civ is dead?   So that, if the civ is dead, the fort doesn't receive dwarven traders (at least until ToadyOne gets around to implementing trading routes and relationships with specific traders as part of the caravan arc).

-Dame de la Licorne
Perhaps I need to clarify as well... To the bolded portion specifically: This hasn't been the case since 40d. Ever since 31.xx, a dead civ means no more migrants, and no more traders.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 16, 2014, 10:39:04 am »

Talvieno,

I could have sworn that a fort still got traders, even if the chosen civ is dead.  But apparently I'm wrong.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #362 on: August 16, 2014, 10:46:58 am »

Outside of the hardcoded migrant waves, I too haven't noticed caravans on dead civs. (I have, however had elves and humans :) )
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 16, 2014, 10:48:17 am »

I would hazzard a guess, to say that the no pole option, is as it is now.

The one-pole option is what the current worlds are (one pole at one end of the map and an equatorial (hot) region at the other). A two-pole option would have the hot region in the middle. A no-pole world wouldn't have any latitude-based temperature scaling, just normal variance like you see with the other world parameters.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 16, 2014, 02:28:35 pm »

I would hazzard a guess, to say that the no pole option, is as it is now.

The one-pole option is what the current worlds are (one pole at one end of the map and an equatorial (hot) region at the other). A two-pole option would have the hot region in the middle. A no-pole world wouldn't have any latitude-based temperature scaling, just normal variance like you see with the other world parameters.
And the Flatlanders are still left without an option for a central pole... and I want the four Elephants and the giant turtle, too.

"What's this?  After a lot of rock, we seem to be mining through... hide?!"

More seriously, do the new map layout options imply some kind of edge-wrapping behavior?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 16, 2014, 02:33:28 pm »

I will believe it when it happens. There was thread showing (unintentionally, poor guy that created thread tried to show opposite, but failed epically) ugly trend of releases to be longer, and longer, and longer... interestingly, there are distinct two tiers of release lengths.
I respect that you wish to do that, but all I have to say to that thread is that applying statistics to a single person's habits is a really bad idea to begin with, on multiple levels. :/

Yeah, I'll give that theory more credence when somebody shows me another 20+ year development cycle that did the same.

And the Flatlanders are still left without an option for a central pole... and I want the four Elephants and the giant turtle, too.

So what does this make the demons, then?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 16, 2014, 02:44:30 pm »

So what does this make the demons, then?
Very badass white blood cells.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 16, 2014, 02:57:37 pm »

Talvieno,

I could have sworn that a fort still got traders, even if the chosen civ is dead.  But apparently I'm wrong.

-Dame de la Licorne

I know that in 40d it was possible to run a fort with no migrants or dwarf traders if you had a dead civ.  If your civ was only almost dead, like say 1 or 2 people hiding in the back end of nowhere (or the migrants fleeing your just abandoned fort), you would still get migrants and traders.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Urist_McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 16, 2014, 03:04:29 pm »

Have you ever thought of implementing possible mutations in the game? For example above ground cattle living underground lose their eyesight but gain heightened hearing or something similar? Basically just readapting different creatures to the biome they're found in?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 16, 2014, 08:59:45 pm »

I have thought about making a mod where all rocks are organic tissue. . .

Not that I'm gonna. It was part of brainstorming how to make DF into a completely different game.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 16, 2014, 09:25:53 pm »

Have you ever thought of implementing possible mutations in the game? For example above ground cattle living underground lose their eyesight but gain heightened hearing or something similar? Basically just readapting different creatures to the biome they're found in?

That should probably go in the suggestion forum, but there has been some talk of this, iirc, for birth defects, regional effects and as a way for hybridization to occur between two species. That was years ago, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 17, 2014, 02:55:43 am »

From DF Talk #20:

Capntastic:   So the deep down dwarves, when they come up, maybe they should just be very very allergic to the sun?
Toady:   Well they will be cave adapted.
Rainseeker:   Exactly.
Capntastic:   But extremely cave adapted, have another tier.
Toady:   Maybe blind, they'll just lose their eyes.
Capntastic:   They'll be blind and they'll be completely white, you know, like those cave fish.
Toady:   Beardless, beardless, no, they'll have flesh that replaces the beard or something like these tendrils that come out..
Capntastic:   Fleshy beards?
Toady:   Translucent fleshy beards that generate light, but they don't have eyes, so it doesn't mean anything. And yeah, they have alcohol detectors in their stomachs and so on, they waddle around and roll in the mud. And yeah, so that's about like a dwarf. That's what we expect from a dwarf.
Rainseeker:   Ya, that's pretty good.
Toady:   A Cthulu-esque mob that comes out of the deep.
Capntastic:   But they're friendly and they talk with a Scottish accent.
Toady:   That's right. Scottish deep spawn. It's interesting being in this position, because now we've got all kinds of choices. I'm not sure those are the choices we're going to make, but got all kinds of choices, so it should be cool.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2014, 04:06:54 am »

From my experience YES, if you play with a dead civ, you still have migrants and traders.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2014, 09:28:02 am »

Hey Toady One, I don't know whether you tested with towns or not, but could you look into bug 7764 where all shops become taverns after an insurrection is successful, whether or not it's a player led one? It really takes some of the fun out of doing an insurrection in a town, plus kind of gamebreaking.

Sephimaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2014, 04:43:07 pm »

I really, really like the pole options.

Also: Awsome how many bugs are getting squished. Does anybody know how much he has fixed, percentage wise?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:48:35 pm by Sephimaru »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 306