Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9306 9307 [9308] 9309 9310 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13413746 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139605 on: November 05, 2018, 03:22:04 am »

Was witness to a birth in a Walmart parking lot. Called 911, got ambulance, stayed with lady until professionals arrived, then buggered off because babies are disgusting.

I thought that sort of shit happened in bad sitcoms. Not reality.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139606 on: November 05, 2018, 03:31:58 am »

Was witness to a birth in a Walmart parking lot. Called 911, got ambulance, stayed with lady until professionals arrived, then buggered off because babies are disgusting.

I thought that sort of shit happened in bad sitcoms. Not reality.
I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart is a sitcom.

Like, you're guaranteed to find more alien abductees around Wal-Mart than anywhere else... Their implants are probably there to either serve as cameras or just improve the extra-terrestrial reception.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139607 on: November 05, 2018, 04:10:14 am »

@Smiling Americs & shy Norwegians:
But what if I'm a tourist in Norway, and I need directions to a certain place?

My WTF: Wanted to write the question above, only for Toady to suddenly run maintenance.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #139608 on: November 05, 2018, 04:14:57 am »

In fact, the correct way to greet a Nordic stranger is the language-specific word for "sorry" and then an immediate brief explanation of your problem. As in, "I'm sorry that I'm forcing you into a social situation, but here's how you can make me go away."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139609 on: November 05, 2018, 04:24:51 am »

In fact, the correct way to greet a Nordic stranger is the language-specific word for "sorry" and then an immediate brief explanation of your problem. As in, "I'm sorry that I'm forcing you into a social situation, but here's how you can make me go away."

Well, it's pretty much the same in Russia: Just as I have thought.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139610 on: November 05, 2018, 04:27:41 am »

Yep, pretty much this. Although at least the Norwegian word for "sorry" is also the word for "excuse me", so it's not quite as alien of a greeting as one might think. Still the same general principle though; "Sorry to disturb you/violate your personal space".

My WTF: Wanted to write the question above, only for Toady to suddenly run maintenance.
I'm just impressed by how quickly it was done.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139611 on: November 05, 2018, 04:38:46 am »

You mean all this time, I have been exhibiting Nordic social norms, and did not realize it?  You mean my schizoid behaviors around people are nordo-typical, and not a manifestation of social aberration?

Can I move there easily?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:42:07 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139612 on: November 05, 2018, 04:44:40 am »

We supply readily tourist pit stops for just that purpose so that you'll never have to interact with anyone other that map notice boards and brochures
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139613 on: November 05, 2018, 04:50:17 am »

I am liking the sound of this more and more.  Tell me, do people get all up in your shit because you have the wrong kind of grass, or because it is 2cm taller than ordinance, like they do here in the US?  If the people in Norway are like, "No, I dont care about their lawn. It's their problem, not mine." and "No, those people really dont want to know about how my kids are playing football this year, and they sure as hell dont want to see the pictures.", then please--- how hard it is to immigrate there?

I am quite OK with living out in the middle of a tiny shack on a desolate island on some nameless fjord, as long as nobody comes to visit.  Honest.  People here? They think I am crazy for having such proclivities.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139614 on: November 05, 2018, 04:54:04 am »

I am liking the sound of this more and more.  Tell me, do people get all up in your shit because you have the wrong kind of grass, or because it is 2cm taller than ordinance, like they do here in the US?  If the people in Norway are like, "No, I dont care about their lawn. It's their problem, not mine." and "No, those people really dont want to know about how my kids are playing football this year, and they sure as hell dont want to see the pictures.", then please--- how hard it is to immigrate there?

I am quite OK with living out in the middle of a tiny shack on a desolate island on some nameless fjord, as long as nobody comes to visit.  Honest.  People here? They think I am crazy for having such proclivities.

Or you can come to Siberia, build a hut in the middle of taiga, and live by yourself.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139615 on: November 05, 2018, 04:55:53 am »

True story:  Been considering moving to Alaska, but the -50F winter temperatures are a bit unpleasant to consider. (Not insurmountable, mind--- but if I can get the same degree of "Fuck off, bastards!" someplace warmer, it would be preferred.)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139616 on: November 05, 2018, 04:59:44 am »

True story:  Been considering moving to Alaska, but the -50F winter temperatures are a bit unpleasant to consider. (Not insurmountable, mind--- but if I can get the same degree of "Fuck off, bastards!" someplace warmer, it would be preferred.)

Is civil service regarding icy sidewalks better in Alaska/Murica? I've said this before, but it's almost like there's no one cleaning the ice in my city.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139617 on: November 05, 2018, 05:01:02 am »

Where I would intend to move, there is no such thing as a sidewalk.

See also, OTC land sales.

As for "general" 'Merican sidewalks in the winter...

This is very much city govt centric.  Each city government has its own taxes it levies for things like metropolitan transit, road repair, and ice removal/sand spreading for the winter months.  Depending on how foolishly the city squandered its money (I have YET to see a competent city government here) it may or may not be able to adequately keep sidewalks and roadways de-iced.

Typically, cities that are more prone to heavy snow/ice will have better budgets reserved for that function, and cities that typically do not, will not.   

Most people end up having to shovel their own sidewalks, and basically everyone has to shovel their own driveway. (The city are almost universally asshats, that bulldoze snow up INTO your driveway in the winter time when they doze the snow off the streets.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:41:38 am by wierd »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #139618 on: November 05, 2018, 05:44:27 am »

I am liking the sound of this more and more.  Tell me, do people get all up in your shit because you have the wrong kind of grass, or because it is 2cm taller than ordinance, like they do here in the US?  If the people in Norway are like, "No, I dont care about their lawn. It's their problem, not mine."
More like "What's a lawn?" unless you live in a small town, in which case yes, nobody cares how (or even if) you take care of it.

"No, those people really dont want to know about how my kids are playing football this year, and they sure as hell dont want to see the pictures."
Almost nobody cares, and those that do care will ask you rather than wait for you to tell them.

how hard it is to immigrate there?
From the US, not too hard, though not as easy as it would be from an EU country. More info on Finland here, other Nordic countries probably have their own similar sites.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139619 on: November 05, 2018, 05:56:17 am »

Is there work for either a CNA, an industrial draftsman, or a SAN admin there?  I can do all three of those with above average competency.

I remember giving support for Europe when i worked for Netapp, and I rather liked how the Eurozone countries were less "OMG! I GOTTA PROTECT MY JORB AT ALL COSTS!!" and more "Yeah.  The SAN is down. We need help. Is this a good time?".  (US support calls had almost panic-stricken admins, who have the threat of foreign outsourcing dangling overhead at all times, and so they take every little burp as life and death emergencies, where the Eurozone callers were more "Wait-- I need to make my tea------ OK-- Now, let's do this." which I much preferred.)   I could totally hang with a crowd like that. What I could not hack working for Netapp was the break-neck pace and coronary heart-attack inducing stress levels from their corporate structure, not the actual subject matter of the support calls.

Also, how essential is learning finnish/norwegian/swedish?
Pages: 1 ... 9306 9307 [9308] 9309 9310 ... 10987