Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 83453 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Poll added--
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2010, 03:24:36 pm »

@The shells thing - I'm very aware of what goes on with all the possible entries, I was trying for 2 or 3 days trying to get it to work. I believe it's not happening in this version by using a reaction. I've yet to test/use the shell on a horn or hoof or giving a creature a shell, but I wanted to avoid that. Oh well.

@Everything else - Seeing as I've got most everything figured out and I think I still have 2 or 3 available posts for extra stuff. Is there anything you guys suggest I should add?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2010, 12:19:04 am »

bump
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2010, 12:46:07 am »

So, I heard that you wanted to do some wiki editing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial
This should help you ;)

Now, a request or two:
Add a tutorial on creating creatures.

Now a question:
If I removed everything from the raws, what needs to be added for the bare essentials that dwarf fortress needs to run fort mode?
I added all the body templates and material templates.
1 custom stone layer.
1 custom soil layer.
1 custom creature/civ.
A few other things that I don't recall.

In the end, I get a few errors along these lines.

"Unrecognized somethingsomethingsomething STEEL"

'somethingsomethingsomething' meaning that I forgot.

Do you understand what I am asking? I can elaborate.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2010, 01:01:47 am »

Well, you would need something to cut trees and mine. You need to have the entity_default and what your race is allowed to use. A plant (food) a tree (wood) a stone, soil.... hmmmm... various items, like buckets (for giving injured water), there's a lot you'd need for it to work, items were the one thing I didn't mess with. I'm really not too sure, you'd have to play with it and see what lets you start a game and what doesn't. the errorlog really helps a lot.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2010, 01:55:48 am »

Through my research, I found out it goes fine without items. If you edit the allowed items and such for the civs, that is.

But, It complains if steel and the like are gone.
Any ideas as to why?

I kind of don't like being limited to having to include certain items/materials.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2010, 02:59:34 am »

Through my research, I found out it goes fine without items. If you edit the allowed items and such for the civs, that is.

But, It complains if steel and the like are gone.
Any ideas as to why?

I kind of don't like being limited to having to include certain items/materials.

Steel is related to the metal prefs in civilizations, isn't it?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2010, 03:06:54 am »

Everything is referenced some place. You just have to go through and examine each file carefully. It shouldn't have an issue with steel being gone. There's a guy making a minimalist mod and he has it pretty much down to pick, axe, stone, tree, plant, etc. literally all named that more or less.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2010, 07:22:42 am »

If I had to guess, I'd say steel is still referenced either in a reaction or an entity file, in addition to its metal location which you have deleted.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »

I've figured out that

:FLASK:VIAL:GLASS_specifier:NONE

is the item specification for a glass vial, where specifier is one of GREEN, CLEAR or CRYSTAL

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:58 pm »

Cool beans, I'll have to add that.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2010, 06:43:30 pm »

Alright everyone, I updated the ENTIRE stone metal and gem entries... For the sake of no one else whining about it. I guess I need to start the wiki page cause I ran into the character limit again...

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2010, 06:59:11 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shaostoul's_Guide

First go for the wiki page, let me know what you think... is there a "spoiler" like tab for the wiki? or that's going to be a VERY long page...

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2010, 07:22:31 pm »

I don't think there's a spoiler-like function.  But you can make an Contents! ;p

I clicked 'Random page'  a few times until I found a page with one for you to copy:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Floodgate

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:46 pm »

So that's how it's going to have to be? Oh boy... Well I guess I'll be going for the new world record of the longest web page. ;)

-edit-

I'd like to say my pinky is really tired with all the control v..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:59:11 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2010, 08:40:38 pm »

Yay for macros! My fingers will live!!!

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shaostoul%27s_Guide

Give my guide on the wiki a look, lemme know what ya think ;)

It's still got quite the ways to go.

-edit-

Through the help with I'm guessing an admin from the wiki, I've got collapsible windows!

Now I've just got a lot of re-writing to do.

-edit-

the wiki now has more information than the forum guide, if you want me to keep the wiki and this thread on par with each other, let me know.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:58:47 pm by Shaostoul »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29