Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DFHack Plugin] Yearly Report (Brainstorming)  (Read 1201 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[DFHack Plugin] Yearly Report (Brainstorming)
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:59:10 pm »

Another plugin I've been meaning to write is something that monitors various useful information and presents it to the user at the end of each in-game year. There was a post on the suggestions forum somewhere about something like this, but I lost track of it. Basically it would be the stocks menu on steroids, reporting all sorts of useful/interesting statistics of what happened in the previous year.

The biggest one I can think of it keeping track of imports/creations/exports/destructions/consumptions of various items so you can keep track of how much food/drink/metal/clothing you use in a year and plan accordingly. Initially it'll probably just be a simple text file and won't actually present in-game unless I feel like overachieving. I might write a sort of "in-character" report based on the bookkeeper and fudge the numbers based on their skill, etc.

I'd love to hear suggestions on what would be useful to keep track of, or ideas about how it should be presented.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DFHack Plugin] Yearly Report (Brainstorming)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:13:54 pm »

Something that might be fun to keep track of is deaths, kills, and skill ups. It might be a lot of information to keep track of on a per unit basis, but you could at least do overall skill ups and such to keep track of how your fort is progressing.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:32:01 pm »

The only significant limiting factors are how much monitoring it takes to keep track of things accurately (the impact on framerate) and how well the data can be presented to the user in a way they can understand. Individual unit stuff is quite plausible. I think it would be better to present too much information than too little.

It occurs to me that it could also be used to do experiments on game mechanics, exact statistics on the combat effectiveness of weapons/armors, etc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:48 am »

Unit stuff can be calculated and presented at the same time without inaccuracy (being fairly permanent changes), so that shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I think also that what weapon a unit was killed by might be stored somewhere... or perhaps it's the other way around, what kills a weapon has done. I'm pretty sure the latter is the one.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:40:35 am »

Yes, I believe I found that weapons store kills in their item profiles. I was looking for a way to upgrade an item based on the number of kills it has.

The amount of information collected and stored isn't what I foresee being an issue, it would be how to effectively convey that information. You (or someone else) could always write an external script that reads the information and parses it into useful graphs and such. I am not sure what all can be done with the in game gui, but from what I have seen, it may be better to process large amounts of information externally, with a more maleable code.

At the very least, if you were to gather all of that data and export it in some format, I might be interested in creating a python (or some other language) program that would analyze it and provide easy to view information, like population or wealth graphs, and things like that as an idea.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:08:37 am »

If you're really feeling like overachieving, you could integrate it with the Bookkeeper. So that it's only available with a highly skilled, accurate bookkeeper, which is presented once a year in a way similar to the trade/liaison meetings. Once a year the bookkeeper tries to meet with the expedition leader/baron or whatever you have to discuss the last year. You get a dialogue of some sorts which presents you with a few charts, stock changes over time, population statistics, wealth etc.
You know what, I'm gonna take this to the suggestion forum.
Or not, I'm way too lazy to write that out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:14:36 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 06:13:46 am »

Suggestions for info:
How many kids born.
How many migrants arrived.
How many civ members died, including deathcause.
How many happy/content/unhappy/miserable civ members.

Number of rooms
Number of crafts per type. Maybe sub-type? (would resemble stocks screen after a while, just yearly. Would probably be the least interesting (?) screen, because you kinda have the stocks screen for it already.)

How many kills, including deathcause.

Wealth produced that year
Wealth exported that year
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:05:36 am »

Amount of shit left behind by dead goblins/kobolds that year.