Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1848991 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:59 pm »

Currently there are two ways of interacting with the world from fortress mode and theoretically have an impact in doing so. Through trade and through war (killing off sieges.) If you were too read (from your liason) that your dwarven home land was being invaded by elves, could trading weapons to your dwarven brethren help their cause and have a meaningful impact? Would starting a war with the elves help as well?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2014, 09:32:22 pm »

Not sure about sending weapons home, but if the elves are at war with your civilization, any elven merchants you do see would be from a completely different elven civilization, so I don't think drowning their caravans to make them angry too would help at all.

Actually, that gives me a few thoughts now that invaders come from groups on the world map.

Can you be at war with a civilization from one race and still get merchants from a different civilization of that race now?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:41:15 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2014, 10:59:24 pm »

Would starting a war with the elves help as well?

Not sure about sending weapons home, but if the elves are at war with your civilization, any elven merchants you do see would be from a completely different elven civilization, so I don't think drowning their caravans to make them angry too would help at all.

If the elves went to war with your mountainhome, they would be at war with you as well.  Or maybe the causality is reversed... you gave one to many elven merchants a magma bath, and now an elven army is marching on your capital.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2014, 06:08:47 am »

PTW

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2014, 11:18:19 am »

Are these theories? They sound like theories. I do appreciate theories, don't get me wrong. It would be nice for more exact specific details. Such as, if you gave your dwarf caravans steel equipment they would reach the front lines in 6 months etc... or if you killed off elves and had them attack you.... it would affect the outcome of battles etc etc. I think ToadyOne may only know this.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2014, 11:27:14 am »

Are there any extended plans for underground dwarven roads? Will there be travelers on them during Adventure Mode gameplay, and will they ever be utilized for other things like migrants and sieges? Will they be fleshed out too? (at the moment you can easily find yourself attacked by a giant cave spider while traveling along them). Finally, will we ever see any sites only accessible via these underground roadways?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:47:39 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2014, 11:42:19 am »

Currently there are two ways of interacting with the world from fortress mode and theoretically have an impact in doing so. Through trade and through war (killing off sieges.) If you were too read (from your liason) that your dwarven home land was being invaded by elves, could trading weapons to your dwarven brethren help their cause and have a meaningful impact? Would starting a war with the elves help as well?

Off-screen combat doesn't yet take weapon stockpiles into account.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2014, 12:08:41 pm »

Deep sites weren't supposed to be in this release?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »

Deep sites weren't supposed to be in this release?
Isn't that what the deep dwarven fortresses are? Maybe I got them confused at some point. My mistake, then.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2014, 12:25:27 pm »

The deep dwarven sites are in. Those are the dark grey ones in the center of the mountains, and they are only accessible by tunnels, I'm pretty sure.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2014, 12:47:21 pm »

The deep dwarven sites are in. Those are the dark grey ones in the center of the mountains, and they are only accessible by tunnels, I'm pretty sure.
Huh, I haven't seen any, and I've been looking for them. I'll edit my post, though.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2014, 01:15:39 pm »

Huh, I haven't seen any, and I've been looking for them. I'll edit my post, though.
I haven't been to any, but I've seen them on the map.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »

Starting as a dwarf in adventure mode can place you in the deep sites. They do have tunnels that pass through the caverns, and you can fast-travel through the underground tunnels.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2014, 02:03:51 pm »

I didn't see any yet because I'm not playing dwarves much. Everytime I tried I got into a fortress without exits or I couldn't find it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2014, 02:22:12 pm »

It could be that I'm genning worlds too small to find any.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 306