Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846601 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #480 on: September 21, 2014, 04:36:02 pm »

Thought rewrite! Now I'm excited.

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 21, 2014, 05:20:23 pm »

If you're talking about this report, its status (our primary method of indicating priorities) is already "confirmed".

I don't know what "confirmed" is supposed to mean, aside from some admin reproduced the bug. What I'm asking is just that it actually gets fixed. There are other similar bug reports with the "new" status, and they deserve a higher priority than "minor", imo.
Why is your pet bug more important then someone elses pet bug? You don't think ToadyOne is aware there are bugs in the game?
Gee, I dunno? Maybe because combat is an important part of the game, and practically all one does in adventure mode? You might as well face it, but it's what most awesome stories amount to. Maybe when your platoon of dwarves manage to pulp all of a dragon's limbs, but it still wipes out your fort because they're entirely functional, you will change your mind.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 21, 2014, 07:41:24 pm »

If you're talking about this report, its status (our primary method of indicating priorities) is already "confirmed".

I don't know what "confirmed" is supposed to mean, aside from some admin reproduced the bug. What I'm asking is just that it actually gets fixed. There are other similar bug reports with the "new" status, and they deserve a higher priority than "minor", imo.
Why is your pet bug more important then someone elses pet bug? You don't think ToadyOne is aware there are bugs in the game?
Gee, I dunno? Maybe because combat is an important part of the game, and practically all one does in adventure mode? You might as well face it, but it's what most awesome stories amount to. Maybe when your platoon of dwarves manage to pulp all of a dragon's limbs, but it still wipes out your fort because they're entirely functional, you will change your mind.

You should be using swords or axes or spears against a dragon anyway, not warhammers and maces.

I thought he had done the dwarf thought rewrite already, well, I knew he was doing a dorf brain rewrite, but didn't know he was holding off on the main part of it until after the release.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 21, 2014, 07:50:56 pm »

Yeah, he had intended to do it with the pathing rewrite, but it quickly turned into a huge can of worms so he set it aside to keep from delaying the release even further.

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 21, 2014, 07:54:10 pm »

Can someone summarize what the thought rewrite entails? It sounds exciting.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 21, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »

Can someone summarize what the thought rewrite entails? It sounds exciting.
All I know is it's needed for job priorities.

I assume it's about making all the new personality traits have an effect on behavior in dwarf mode, instead of being descriptions only.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 23, 2014, 06:50:46 am »

I assume it's about making all the new personality traits have an effect on behavior in dwarf mode, instead of being descriptions only.
Sooo... now (or at least in 0.34) pretty much only jobs affected by personality was broker/manager (you WILL know when you get dwarf prone to procrastination) and hospital care (taking aside supposedly fixed healthcare bugs, you HAVE to have someone that enjoy helping others).

If you are right, in future every job will be like this...? Dear Armok.

This will be un-fun (as in forced micromanagement hell).

I hope game will have some way to indicate that certain dwarves are unsuited to given job. And immigrants will be generated with professions and skills with at least some skew in direction of their personality (to today I remember philosophers with "intelectual discourse = waste of time" character trait, clearly showing profession and skill generation is/was totally random and indepedent from personality).
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 23, 2014, 08:44:01 am »

My impression was the main point of it is to merge the new emotion/thought/state of mind system that was added with the new version with the old "recieved a happy/sad thought" system, because right now they're completely separate systems that don't intersect, and that's weird.

So basically, ripping out the happy/sad thought system and putting it back in a form that uses and complements the various other newly-added dwarf brain changes already in place, instead of just being an arbitrary happiness sliding scale on the side that's not affected by anything else.

Can't remember where I read that though, so I might be wrong.

Fakedit: Found it.
Quote from: Devlog
The mind has been rewritten quite a bit -- people now experience emotions according to different circumstances (lots of awkward monologues there), and they consider actions differently. The main outstanding issue is that I didn't get around to converting existing dwarf mode thoughts, so they sort of exist concurrently with the new emotions and that needs to be changed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:59 am »

Sooo... now (or at least in 0.34) pretty much only jobs affected by personality was broker/manager (you WILL know when you get dwarf prone to procrastination) and hospital care (taking aside supposedly fixed healthcare bugs, you HAVE to have someone that enjoy helping others).

If you are right, in future every job will be like this...? Dear Armok.

This will be un-fun (as in forced micromanagement hell).

I hope game will have some way to indicate that certain dwarves are unsuited to given job. And immigrants will be generated with professions and skills with at least some skew in direction of their personality (to today I remember philosophers with "intelectual discourse = waste of time" character trait, clearly showing profession and skill generation is/was totally random and indepedent from personality).

It's only micromanagement hell if you let it, also, DT will be of major help because you can sort by how suited what dwarves are to what jobs.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 23, 2014, 01:44:40 pm »

Will you go on a pub crawl to research the tavern arc? How do you generally research, come to that?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 23, 2014, 07:06:10 pm »

Will you go on a pub crawl to research the tavern arc? How do you generally research, come to that?

This movie probably counts as source material:
PowerGoal48, ROAD HOUSE, (Future): Onlookers led by you stop a fight, and somebody demands to see the manager. The manager appoints you official bar bouncer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:03 pm »

I don't think you linked the movie?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 23, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »

The movie name is also the PowerGoal name -- Road House.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 23, 2014, 07:49:54 pm »

Ah, I wasn't sure if that was the movie name.

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:38 am »

The recent dev log update may be light on details, but I nearly lost it. :D
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 306