Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846578 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #780 on: November 24, 2014, 08:02:19 pm »

And the birth sphere effect spawns babies of the species you're fighting whenever you strike them. :P

And the pregnacy sphere would um.... you know, impregnate, lol XD

Lets get our brains out of the gutter here though and look at another one, How about lightning? Shoots lightning or gives the target a massive shock. Mjolnir anybody?

Not all of them are suitable as spheres for weapons though, like coasts, what would you do for that? Though that's often paired with other water related spheres.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 24, 2014, 08:40:23 pm »

Well cant we simulate lightning with a syndrom already? You know paralyses, burnmarks etc. should be straight forward.

I for one hope that IF such magical weapons come into play they alongside normal artefacts and named Antiques get properly bound into the history of the world, say by becoming artefacts of a religion and some such."The underpants of Saint Urist! He wore them for 7 years straight!"
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 24, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »

lulz

im thinking a weapon with one sphere could have different effects than a weapon with the same sphere.

like one sword with lighting sphere fires lightning bolt as a built in ranged attack while another sword shocks on contact.

it would be cool to see a bow/crossbow that shot lightning bolts instead of arrows/bolts and eliminate the ammo. or if that seems to overpowered for the great toads likening it could CHARGE the ammo.

the religion aspect could be interesting.

maybe a temple to a lightning god could have 

(some DF language name here) deaththunder the snowing sparks

this is an magical artifact short sword. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. electricity courses through its blade.
it is made of silver and encircled with bands of gold opal. it menaces with spikes of gold. on the item is the image of a dwarf and (some god of lightning here) in silver.the (god of lightning) is smiting the dwarf.

the sword is considered sacred by the followers of (lightning god)

then if an adventure takes it without permission....ANGRY PRIEST! RUN!

it would be cool to see a helm or face veil with the water sphere allowing you to breath underwater (give it to a dwarf and build atlantics anyone?)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 26, 2014, 07:40:12 pm »

Hmm. So I see the new gelding task has a skill attached to it. Makes me curious, what happens when a bad job gets done. :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 26, 2014, 08:10:32 pm »

Infection and death, or failure to sterilize. Or nothing. Can't play df right now. I had expected the job to fall under the labors of animal caretakers or dissectors, or maybe surgeons (good training eh?)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 26, 2014, 09:24:04 pm »

we should carry on the magic discussion in another thread (or this one I don't care) the thread should be were and named what?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:43 pm »

Another single-purpose profession?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We definitely need to do something to stop those skills from multiplying so much! Fortress needs smiths, NOT wax workers, armokdammit.

On a lighter note, I am about to start a cross-training program for my sworddwarves. This should help us against goblins, at least in long-term.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 26, 2014, 11:47:07 pm »

Another single-purpose profession?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We definitely need to do something to stop those skills from multiplying so much! Fortress needs smiths, NOT wax workers, armokdammit.

On a lighter note, I am about to start a cross-training program for my sworddwarves. This should help us against goblins, at least in long-term.
Armor Making, Arms Making and Tool Making though they have synergies are different specializations. Or are you decrying the plethora of other jobs?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 27, 2014, 03:57:03 am »

I had expected the job to fall under the labors of animal caretakers or dissectors, or maybe surgeons (good training eh?)

I thought surgeons too, since it's literally a surgery.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 27, 2014, 09:11:04 am »

"Got rid of mating-at-a-distance"
So now animals don't reproduce with spores like the Orks from 40K?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 27, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »

Added gelding and associated profession/skill/etc.

I also would have thought as either a medical skill (like surgery) or animal something (like animal caring or training). Creating a new competence for just gelding is (IMHO) a waste of time and clarity in skills unless....unless...it will eventually become a fighting skill :p

About multiplication of skills, I think someday Toady will simplify it and it will be much better after that, like for all things he did before. (first steps, densification, complexification, complete mess, then rationalisation and new system)
Why not creating, for example, a "Creating" skill, which will include potery,metalsmith,wax worker, leather, cloth, etc...and could be coupled with a material preference ? I know it's not the place to make suggestion, but here is my question related to profession anyway :

Do you plan one day of simplifying the profession tree, and if yes, could you tell us more about it ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:57:57 pm by Inarius »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 27, 2014, 01:08:14 pm »

The forum is not wanting to quote mr-wiggles post for some reason.

anyways @mr-wiggles: He's probably referring to the farming category with its plethora of specializations.

Pseudopuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 27, 2014, 03:22:28 pm »

Any more plans for optimization soon? Even with only 80 fort dwarves there is still quite a significant difference in FPS from .34 to .40. This is worrying for a lot of people.

Also, thanks for adding gelding.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:58:43 pm by Pseudopuppet »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 27, 2014, 05:00:04 pm »

Any more plans for optimization soon? Even with only 80 fort dwarves there is still quite a significant difference in FPS from .34 to .40. This is worrying for a lot of people.

Also, thanks for adding gelding.
Nopes. ToadyOne has made it an urgent goal, to make DF run only as slowly as possible.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 27, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »

Any more plans for optimization soon? Even with only 80 fort dwarves there is still quite a significant difference in FPS from .34 to .40.

I'd actually like to see the data on this! Mostly because speculating on causes of slowdown is my favorite counterproductive thing to do.

EDIT: No sarcasm, I really do enjoy speculating on slowdown causes even though that's a fruitless endeavor leading to nothing but sorrow if acted upon
...goddammit let me go on record as not making fun of anybody here
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 306