demons
magma
necromancers
undead
tantrum spiral
loyalty cascade
giant mosquito invasion

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION  (Read 67938 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2013, 08:18:46 am »

#327: Dwarves can survive up to about a 9-story drop, though it seems 10-stories and up guarantees death.

#328: When dropping a mother and her 8-day old child from 9-stories, the child will land on the mother, causing the child to sustain only minor injuries.  The mother will probably be less fortunate.  However, the child cannot be operated on until it goes up.

#329: When performing Dwarf-Dropping Experiments, make sure to keep the test subjects separated at all times to avoid tantrumming.

#330: Elven Merchants' Donkeys can kill a giant moose when it goes berserk, then kill half of your military and cause a trantrum spiral, which will invariable kill your fort's doctor.

#331: When attempting to get your doctor to become legendary in all of his medical skills, expect to go through many, many dwarves, and probably have your thread locked when you attempt to make a medical journal on it. 

And on that: Crusty's back! :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:52:27 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 100 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:14 am »

Oh, I read that as, "You can dye adamantine cloth" and I got excited.
lol.. I wasn't clear enough. Yes, you can dye adamantine strands. The item description will tell you that it has been dyed. "This is a (sic) adamantine strand. It is emerald green with emerald dye." And you can still use it to make adamantine wafers. The bit where I say "wasted unit of dye" was because I was making adamantine wafers, not cloth, so naturally the unit of dye used to dye the adamantine strand was wasted.
Queue manager
I just found this post while trying to figure out why my dwarves refuse to make me more wafers.  I noticed that I'd been accidentally dying my adamantine strands and now I have 12 bundles of adamantine strands 2 tiles away from my magma smelter and yet adamantine wafers is still greyed out as an option.

Any ideas?

Go into the stocks screen, forbid everything but the dyed adamantine threads. Make adamantine cloth from it, then (m)elt the cloth to make adamantine wafer?

AFAIK, dying doesn't change the way adamantine strands are handled, so that sounds more like an access problem, or uneven magma supply, or stockpile links preventing use or the strange bug where possible reactions don't properly show up on magma smelters. Hell, maybe the smelter doesn't check for strands stored in cloth bins?

To the best of my knowledge, a dyed adamantine strand is just that - a wasted unit of dye. They appear to get smelted into wafers just fine, and if you weave them into cloth, the dye will not carry over. In fact, the quality of the cloth isn't even taken into account when making adamantine clothing - a masterwork bolt of adamantine cloth is, at 25200 dwarfbucks, more valuable than anything you can make out of it, apart from artefacts.

332. An aesthetically pleasing 'panic room' area is not very useful if you don't stock food and drink inside, and things get even worse when you don't realise one of the tantrummers threw the access lever, sealing the place off. Dwarfs will not consider lowering the bridge again if they're too busy tantrumming, berserking and dehydrating.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:40 am »

#333: Although dwarves prefer alcohol, they will die of thirst if you are unable to provide them water, even if your booze stockpile is full
#334: When you reclaim a fortress (that died of thirst), you'll found that every animal of the previous owners will be dead, and every previous possession will be dispersed all over the embark site. Usually, you'll find the least important ones INSIDE, while the armor, the weapons and the food will be OUTSIDE, where it will be stolen by a Kea
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »

#333: Although dwarves prefer alcohol, they will die of thirst if you are unable to provide them water, even if your booze stockpile is full
Only if they can't get to the booze themselves.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2013, 02:08:50 pm »

It was right to the mason workshop. Not forbidden.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 24, 2013, 03:27:01 pm »

#335: Dwarves hate elves so much that they will put off trading with the caravan until it leaves.

#336: Actually they just hate dealing with anyone they don't know. The only reason a dwarf will go to the depot to trade is if they literally have nothing else to do (hint: turn off all labors).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2013, 04:15:21 am »

The only reason a dwarf will go to the depot to trade is if they literally have nothing else to do (hint: turn off all labors).
No, that doesn't work. As soon as you request a trader to go to the depot, your broker will automatically eat, drink, sleep, go on break and generally just screw around until the caravan leaves.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2013, 04:53:26 am »

337: regular sized keas can and will hurt merchants. the one time they show up en-masse is during your first caravan in a serene location when you barely managed to build the depot above ground due to fun with magma in your first year. and then the bloody merchants will screw off before you can finally trade.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:20 am »

338. Just because it's the default option, nothing requires me to stick to 'only broker may trade'. If i can live with less-than-perfect trades (which is the case in 100% of my forts) 'anyone may trade' has no real downside and gets the trades done.
338a. The only downside is that with that setting "trade at depot" is yet another thing your noble can do instead of holding the damn meeting. If only "anyone can hold meetings" were an option (or if nobles got fixed and treated meetings as an actual job instead of idle time)...

339. If you want to play with invaders, you gotta be lamely paranoid. If you try to colonise the surface, it's much too easy to have infiltration routes for goblin ambushes. Playing the game can become quite annoying if every single ambush results in two months of tantrums, only clearing up enough by the time the next ambush is due.

340. Don't give your legendary hunters free reign in the caverns. While they can track down and bag a draltha quite nicely, they will also target a giant cave spider, which is slightly above their ken. The real problem won't be the loss of the hunter, though, it'll be the rush of haulers pouring into the caverns to collect the hunter's socks. And the haulers who then decide they must get the haulers' socks...

341. No hole is too small for a magma crab to get or shoot through. Plugged-up holes, magma channels isolated from the magma sea and floored over/walled off volcano basins aren't just an aesthetic measure, they're vital to prevent dwarfs getting their heart torn apart by basalt spittle or getting incinerated by fire balls from imps.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2013, 12:18:25 pm »

It was right to the mason workshop. Not forbidden.

Did you only have 1 type of booze? I learned in my 3rd fort that lack of variety is the same as having none. Everyone quit drinking the dwarven wine, tried water, found none and died of thirst. Of course none of this became apparent until the first death.

Yeknom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2013, 05:58:25 pm »

339. Elk Birds can't fly. So when the goblins turn up mounted on them just raise the bridges and wait it out instead of thinking that you need to fight them (with a woefully under trained military) because they would just fly over the wall if you try to lock them out.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2013, 09:56:38 pm »

340. If it's calm for awhile, that's because there are lots and lots and lots of ambushes all queuing up to jump you at the same time.

340a. Build scout towers with chickens in them and random cage traps.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2013, 09:58:11 pm »

I learned in my 3rd fort that lack of variety is the same as having none. Everyone quit drinking the dwarven wine, tried water, found none and died of thirst.
Dwarves will always drink alcohol when it's accessable. They'll get tired of drinking the same old booze, but they will carry on drinking it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2013, 04:48:40 am »

341.  Check the units screen for dangerous critters before sending the entire fortress on a clearcutting expedition.

342.  When doing something that involves sending large numbers of dwarves outside or into the caverns do not allow yourself to be distracted as wildlife maulings decrease dwarven productivity.
342a. Especially not when you have modded things like cave dragons or GCS to appear on all cavern levels in packs of 3-5 with a high frequency.

343.  The time to make coffins is before you need them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:51:03 am by hiroshi42 »
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2013, 07:38:44 am »

344. Necromancers can raise your buried dead.

I have nigh on four hundred undead in the middle of my fortress.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25