Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 971408 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #7305 on: February 15, 2014, 05:16:38 pm »

dunno, plot-envy?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »

just wait until my plot goes on. it has 12 chapters. the first chapter alone is in 3 parts
Why is it so long? :P
He wants to be one of the cool kids.

Remember, Akroma, it's not the size of the plot, it's how you use it. I could probably describe my plot in only 2-3 sentences, but it will doubtless do at least two neat RP things no other plot has.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: February 15, 2014, 06:15:00 pm »

yeah, I'm sure it'll be super cool. I mean, after how you have spat on most plots that were offered so far, surely you will deliver only exceptional quality that everyone will totaly love, right? :P
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: February 15, 2014, 06:16:24 pm »

I certainly hope to. At the least, I won't be running overpowered monsters, using contrived plot devices, or not leaving any mark on the game afterwards.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »

yeah, but

- everyone is so powerful, combat is almost arbitrary. enemies may seem overpowered, but really, that's what it takes to avoid them being blasted to bits almost immediatly. It's magical girls fighting evil - just talking evil out of it kinda destroys any suspension of disbelieve. Ra just folding like that, Dumah rather easily agreeing with simply letting Shysm go... Sometimes things just do what they want because they can, and have little reason to actually listen to you in the first place. Imagine WW2 as a plot. Hitler had the army to start a war, wanted to start a war, and it took an enormous effort to put an end to that - and sometimes the effort is what the PCs have to do. When an enemy is too strong to simply blast to pieces, finding a way is what goes - and nope, just talking hitler out of that kinda stuff was not really an option.

- contrived plot devices..I am not sure which one you mean. Haven't seen many McGuffin things around yet, except maybe the Menhir thing - and that wasn't too bad. That being said, is this not a game of tropes? A bit cliche wont hurt. I am suprised nobody did any *find the 7 crystals of McGuffinness* yet, and wouldn't even complain if they do
. nothing bad with cliche

- hehe, leaving a mark on the game afterwards is what I am aiming at. it's a bit problematic, because frankly, most characters are kinda like teflon. they simply don't care. Best example is Kyle, I guess, but Jaque is also a good example. The characters simply don't quite care enough, because usualy they are simply too strong and, excuse me, too flattly written to care. And of course when you try to actually *make* them care, you get instantly bitched at for doing so. I am pretty sure that whatever you have planned will leave a lot less of an impression on everyone than you originaly planned - as far as storytelling goes, rotmg is a difficult medium, like trying to grow algae in vinegar rather than water. I am sure it will be exactly the same thing for me too, which is why I am already contacting players to connect their characters to the plot
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:31:03 pm by Akroma »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: February 15, 2014, 07:56:07 pm »

- everyone is so powerful, combat is almost arbitrary. enemies may seem overpowered, but really, that's what it takes to avoid them being blasted to bits almost immediatly. It's magical girls fighting evil - just talking evil out of it kinda destroys any suspension of disbelieve. Ra just folding like that, Dumah rather easily agreeing with simply letting Shysm go... Sometimes things just do what they want because they can, and have little reason to actually listen to you in the first place. Imagine WW2 as a plot. Hitler had the army to start a war, wanted to start a war, and it took an enormous effort to put an end to that - and sometimes the effort is what the PCs have to do. When an enemy is too strong to simply blast to pieces, finding a way is what goes - and nope, just talking hitler out of that kinda stuff was not really an option.
On the other hand...well, you kinda hit the nail on the head there. To deal with Dumah, Shys'm just had to go with them. There wasn't any good way to deal with them--and since the game was being run by rag, there was nothing any of us could really do to change that.
The enemies in my planned plot are in the happy medium--they're not so weak they'll fall immediately, but they also aren't so strong that you have literally no choice but to go along with what they want.

- contrived plot devices..I am not sure which one you mean. Haven't seen many McGuffin things around yet, except maybe the Menhir thing - and that wasn't too bad. That being said, is this not a game of tropes? A bit cliche wont hurt. I am suprised nobody did any *find the 7 crystals of McGuffinness* yet, and wouldn't even complain if they do
. nothing bad with cliche
You misunderstand me. I'm talking more about...well, this is more or less what I'm concerned about. Things that don't make logical sense, but happen.

- hehe, leaving a mark on the game afterwards is what I am aiming at. it's a bit problematic, because frankly, most characters are kinda like teflon. they simply don't care. Best example is Kyle, I guess, but Jaque is also a good example. The characters simply don't quite care enough, because usualy they are simply too strong and, excuse me, too flattly written to care. And of course when you try to actually *make* them care, you get instantly bitched at for doing so. I am pretty sure that whatever you have planned will leave a lot less of an impression on everyone than you originaly planned - as far as storytelling goes, rotmg is a difficult medium, like trying to grow algae in vinegar rather than water. I am sure it will be exactly the same thing for me too, which is why I am already contacting players to connect their characters to the plot
Sometimes, to make a difference you need to not give them a choice. Do something that changes the world around them. Destroy/Conquer their hometown, maybe. Or connect to one of their motivations, something they want to do that they haven't been able to.
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: February 15, 2014, 08:04:24 pm »

I just thought of Will's opposite.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: February 15, 2014, 08:13:45 pm »

Hm?
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: February 15, 2014, 08:15:50 pm »

An energetic optimistic girl who is the magic girl of ignorance. Her powers revolve around her ignoring most things being impossible and thus being able to do them.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: February 15, 2014, 08:20:44 pm »

An energetic optimistic girl who is the magic girl of ignorance. Her powers revolve around her ignoring most things being impossible and thus being able to do them.

Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »

Rule 63'd Gurren Lagann? I like it!
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: February 15, 2014, 08:23:19 pm »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: February 15, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »

Is Neferis just a humanized statue version of Fluttershy or is it just me?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: February 15, 2014, 08:25:40 pm »

Why am I not surprised? This should be a thing, but... Eh.

Is Neferis just a humanized statue version of Fluttershy or is it just me?

Huh?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: February 15, 2014, 08:27:37 pm »

no ponies. We have a pony-allergic Projeck in here.  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1030