Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 147978 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2015, 10:44:02 pm »

It's probably the best non-roguelike survival game I've ever played, mostly because there's a fuck-ton to do and explore and the sheer diversity of the creatures is refreshing. There's so many different dinos, each species is significantly different from another, and even within the same species there's a fair bit of diversity.

It can take a few real-life hours to trace from one corner of the island to an adjacent one along the coast, and even though the island is obviously square on the map, the design of the island's curvature makes it feel quite organic. It's a beautiful island with beautiful creatures, and even the annoying, evil little dilophosaurus that spread across the island like a plague are actually quite elegant if you manage to tame one. The only creatures I'd say aren't particularly nice looking are the satan-vultures known as the argentavis, the giant crocodile sarchosaurus, and, obviously, the dodos, though even the dodos are adorable in their own ugly, useless way, and the other two have their reasons for looking ugly as sin.

Just don't sight-see too much, lest ye miss the tyrannosaur sitting in the trees waiting for your poor, blind self to waddle by before charging at you and literally biting you in the ass.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2015, 02:54:24 pm »

Bought this game.

In my first couple hours, I learned to build a campfire and rudimentary clothing. I ate an entire dodo for a meal, fist-fought a dilophosaur, was spotted by a T-rex, jumped off a cliff and broke my legs to escape said T-rex, and ate some berries that almost killed me from dehydration.

My current goal is to re-locate that T-rex (Allosaurus, maybe? I really didn't examine it at the time) and throw poop at it (another fascinating feature). Presumably, the T-rex will disapprove.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »

In my first couple hours, I learned to build a campfire and rudimentary clothing. I ate an entire dodo for a meal, fist-fought a dilophosaur, was spotted by a T-rex, jumped off a cliff and broke my legs to escape said T-rex, and ate some berries that almost killed me from dehydration.

10/10 would play again.

(That's what I understood from your post.)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »

Sounds pretty epic...I am trying to be financially responsible and not buy this til its on sale (again)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »

re-locate that T-rex (Allosaurus, maybe? I really didn't examine it at the time) and throw poop at it (another fascinating feature). Presumably, the T-rex will disapprove.
Why am I getting a Monster Hunter vibe from this sentence?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2015, 04:12:34 pm »

10/10 would play again.

(That's what I understood from your post.)

Don't get me wrong, its in Alpha. This means that I do have difficulty running at an appreciable frame rate because it is un-optimized. The other thing to know about this is that on a multiplayer world your character is static. If you log out in the middle of a field you will probably be eaten. So, log somewhere safe :D.

There's some kind of tribe system in place, I guess its like a guild/clan system? Anyway, this game is nuts. You can punch dinosaurs and throw poop.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2015, 07:11:03 pm »

Dwarven Invaders Part II: Survival Bungaloo
I'd be up for that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2015, 07:36:42 pm »

I could join as well.. But that depends on your timezones and if I am going to buy it now or wait.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2015, 11:12:43 pm »

Being on opposite timezones from everyone else is a bit of a boon anyway. On 24-hour servers, you can feed the animals, fertilize the plants, and do general base maintenance while everyone else is asleep or away.
Nothing important here, move along.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2015, 05:15:44 am »

Is character progress server-specific?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2015, 05:30:57 am »

there are ways to transfer progress. But I never found out how. I heard something about obelisks.

in fact, I haven't had much luck playing the same character twice, hard to find the same server again ( without it being full)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2015, 06:08:32 am »

there are ways to transfer progress. But I never found out how. I heard something about obelisks.

in fact, I haven't had much luck playing the same character twice, hard to find the same server again ( without it being full)

Found an explanation about the obelisks:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038673131182/

Apparently still bugged...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2015, 07:26:51 am »

fertilize the plants

So you want me to poop on your crops?
Or just want me to gather dino shit all day?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2015, 06:13:21 pm »

My willpower is weak.. Bought the game.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2015, 07:12:00 pm »

My willpower is weak.. Bought the game.

I'm right there with you. I know very little about Ark, but a quick glance at this thread revealed it has farming and building and a community project about to start. A glance at the steam page shows mostly positive reviews and a sale price, also something in the description about naked women...gotta give it a try.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47