Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 595714 times)

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #675 on: June 19, 2012, 07:39:44 pm »

Questions:
1)Eventually can you kidnap people and if they are important enough will search & rescure parties be sent out, like kidnap a princess in stereotypical Villain style.
2)Will your actions change how people think of you, like having monsters and raiding & pillaging will make people think your some Demon Lord or something, and if so will units be more inclinded to join you if your more Evil/Good (Demonic creatures flock to you when your really evil. And when your really good maybe angles come join you?)
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 19, 2012, 09:44:50 pm »

Also, I was wondering if you could talk about multi-tile creature pathfinding? How does that work (from a programming perspective)?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #677 on: June 20, 2012, 06:53:27 am »

*high five*

It has been said that only coding can make you feel so good about realizing how stupid you've been. I don't remember WHO said it, but it's certainly true enough that it stuck with me.
Heh. Definitely. Few things are as purely, un-equivocally enjoyable as realising where you've been going wrong, and that you know how to fix it.

Can't disagree with either :). If I have time before 0.0.1, I'm going to massively increase the size of mountains, just because I now can.

Any chance you can elaborate on the specifics? I might add z-levels into my game eventually.
Also, I was wondering if you could talk about multi-tile creature pathfinding? How does that work (from a programming perspective)?

Sure thing; there's quite a bit to say, so I'll do a blog entry on both after 0.0.1's release (and after the inevitable very rapid release of patches in the subsequent days).

Questions:
1)Eventually can you kidnap people and if they are important enough will search & rescure parties be sent out, like kidnap a princess in stereotypical Villain style.
2)Will your actions change how people think of you, like having monsters and raiding & pillaging will make people think your some Demon Lord or something, and if so will units be more inclinded to join you if your more Evil/Good (Demonic creatures flock to you when your really evil. And when your really good maybe angles come join you?)

1) Hmm. I don't see why not; I've been giving some thought to the stealth mechanics, and that could certainly be feasible.
2) Definitely re: demonic, but none of their opposite number will feature! As ever with these games, I'm hoping to have a full system for factions and things, but since I'm going for more of a strategy/4x game (just one where you aren't omnipotent), some of this will be 'abstracted' out; more on this in a later blog entry, but basically yes, there will be a range of metrics by which you and other empires are rated.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 25, 2012, 10:21:40 am »

I haven't been this excited for something since I learned how to emulate human emotion.

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 25, 2012, 01:58:12 pm »

I haven't been this excited for something since I learned how to emulate human emotion.
Yeah agreed, I check the development plan everyday and jump with joy eveytime I see one of the things has been finished. :P
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 25, 2012, 06:11:21 pm »

Gods, do they walk among us?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 25, 2012, 08:09:34 pm »

Eagerly awaiting this release! :D

Also, sigged.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #682 on: June 27, 2012, 04:59:03 am »

Yeah agreed, I check the development plan everyday and jump with joy eveytime I see one of the things has been finished. :P

Excellent and my thanks to both :). Updated it again today, and will likely be doing so again later...

Gods, do they walk among us?

What mean ye?

Eagerly awaiting this release! :D

Thanks! I'm afraid it's going to be another few days (see http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/06/27/closer-and-closer/) but this is the final push now. I have learnt that moving house, and attempting to keep to a deadline, do not work well together...

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 27, 2012, 06:14:38 am »

Both a compliment and a question. Will the gods of the world be able to be interacted with?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #684 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

Both a compliment and a question. Will the gods of the world be able to be interacted with?

I'm not quite sure yet. I think I will add another option to the World Generation screen which allows you to choose whether gods are the bases for religions but cannot be directly interacted with (the default) or whether gods can be actively communicated with.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #685 on: June 30, 2012, 11:38:13 am »

Quick update: well on-track for the 9th, added lots of options to world generation including world size, world climate and world type (like islands, continents, etc). I estimate one day to get large creatures like dragons pathfinding correctly; one day to get saving/loading map chunks going (though for a very first 'tech demo' alpha, this may be non-essential, but we'll see); one day to make a few changes to combat and check that everything is working correctly, at least in its most basic form; then I'll be going bug hunting, as I know there's still a few out there hiding. I'm going to try compiling it fully for Windows/Linux in a few days, so that if that throws up any trouble, I'll have a few days to work through it. I'm going to put up a quick update on Monday to show some of the new world types that can be generated (like an ice age pangaea, or a scorching hot island chain, or similar) :).

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 30, 2012, 01:28:21 pm »

:(

To bad for me, I will have no internet access for July, I will have to wait August to hunt these bugs/dragons.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 30, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

new world types that can be generated (like an ice age pangaea, or a scorching hot island chain, or similar) :).

Will this mean that some time in the future, animals will spawn dependent on climate(i.e. predominant yeti & mammoth for ice age, along with civilization decisions being impacted by it;per say, a emphasis on leather armor more than metal to keep people from dying of cold and such?).

With every update, I think of this game as being THE game. Loving it more and more!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 30, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »

new world types that can be generated (like an ice age pangaea, or a scorching hot island chain, or similar) :).

Will this mean that some time in the future, animals will spawn dependent on climate(i.e. predominant yeti & mammoth for ice age, along with civilization decisions being impacted by it;per say, a emphasis on leather armor more than metal to keep people from dying of cold and such?).

With every update, I think of this game as being THE game. Loving it more and more!

I think he already said that creatures are tied to climates in some way, and at least sentient creatures will be hard to persuade to come along without you if they don't like the place.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #689 on: July 02, 2012, 07:13:21 pm »

:(

To bad for me, I will have no internet access for July, I will have to wait August to hunt these bugs/dragons.

:( - I have only a tiny bit of internet access at the moment myself, having just moved house so I can only get online when I'm (rarely) on campus to teach or something. Regardless, I've got today's update up (see below) and, if anything, the lack of internet at home can only speed development!

Yes indeed; for now I'm just going to have everything spawning everywhere for the sake of speed and simple testing, but by 0.0.2 or at the latest 0.0.3 creatures will be spawning in appropriate biomes, and in appopriate numbers. Similarly, yes, that would be great if I could have civilizations using materials to hand, which would mean I'd have to make sure every biome can, potentially, either cater to a civilization entirely or have enough produce that they can survive on that & trading. And thanks! :)

I think he already said that creatures are tied to climates in some way, and at least sentient creatures will be hard to persuade to come along without you if they don't like the place.

Yep; they'll like to stick to their own climate. Similarly, human civilizations in certain climes, or those with certain policies/social structures, or histories, or similar, might be reluctant to venture too far out. However, all that political 4x stuff is staying tightly secret for now, though I might have a test screenshot in a little while...

In the mean time, lots and lots of worlds! http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/07/03/cartography/
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 221