Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 595714 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1560 on: February 22, 2013, 04:35:14 pm »

It's really not an issue, though. The note at the top of the Creative Projects section specifically says that Games being made can go into either.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

FuzzWaddle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:12 pm »

I'm having trouble launching the game. After I extract the files to a folder and launch either of the two applications that came with the download it gives me an error about configuration.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1562 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:04 am »

I'm not sure if it's just me, but there looks to be something up with your website's formatting. There's a big but empty banner on the top of the page.

I did like that generated creation story though. It feels like the flow is a little odd, but it's a really big achievement to make something that can generate a story that coherent.

Weird. So you can't see the banner which says "Ultima Ratio Regum: The Roguelike?". Hmm. What are you viewing it on?

This game is so consistently beautiful. Hurrah!

Thank you!

Thanks for reply :)
What I meant by owning resource areas was simply owning them as a source of income/materials to sell, while still leaving actual construction of such sites abstracted out. I think it would be interesting to play as a wealthy merchant and owner of many mines/plantations through kingdom, eventually being so rich that you can field own armies of mercenaries and influencing policies of the kingdom from the shadows.

Ah! In that case, yes, definitely, but it's going to be a while :)

On this forkknife's blog entry: That sun looks beautiful. This is proof that a roguelike can look stunning.

On player-created art: I know you've been dipping into the fast-forwarding time concept, and think this'd be another great thing to implement it with should you decide to. Say, for example, I have a skilled sculptor. Once I get all the materials and somesuch, I decide on the amount of time I want to dedicate to working on it, as well as the general subject (I'll also expand on this idea in a second). The overall quality would depend on the character's skill, the content on their choice, and the size and/or detail on the time dedicated.

To elaborate on the choosing of a general subject, I don't know if it'd be easy, since events would have to be neatly sorted, but have  multiple categories with subcategories to choose from. For example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course that'd need to be heavily worked on. In the example list Personal: Battles would just be a more specific area of History: Battles. Unless of course "History" would include only the time before the character was splatted out into the world.

Thanks re: the blog entry! Glad you like. That's a very cool idea re: the sculptor; interesting. Hmm. It would be something very new if you could actually generate a sculpture, or mural, or similar, displaying the thing in question... hmm. I suppose I could just offer the same variety of options I intend to include for generating non-player art etc, but I'm not sure how I could/would make the time thing work. I'll ponder.

I also very much like the term "splatted out into the world". I shall use it.

Looking at this (and some other stuff I have seen in game), it's fair to say that this roguelike is going to be the most graphically beautiful roguelike ever.
I've mostly only tried the more famous ones, but i would say that this is the only 'pretty' one :P

Then my mission is succeeding!

That's a way of putting it. The symbol has some nice, sexy curves.

I rather thought so.

I'm having trouble launching the game. After I extract the files to a folder and launch either of the two applications that came with the download it gives me an error about configuration.

Hmmm. What OS are you on? You want to launch the one that isn't w9popup or whatever it's called (as you can see, I know the technical side of my game well). Can you copy or print-screen the error?

FuzzWaddle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 23, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I took that picture quickly. Anytime I hit the application it gives me that error. It may be because I have the game installed on a new drive. Anyways thanks for the help!

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 25, 2013, 02:28:37 pm »

I think the problem is that your colour scheme is orange-red Areo. Try something close to beige and get back to us.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

FuzzWaddle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 25, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »

That actually worked! I'm really surprised. I thought you were being sarcastic but I changed it back to default and it worked.

rausm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:22 pm »

I think the problem is that your colour scheme is orange-red Areo. Try something close to beige and get back to us.
That actually worked! I'm really surprised. I thought you were being sarcastic but I changed it back to default and it worked.

ROFL !!!!

Windows - the only imitation of OS in which you can make programs crash just by changing color schemes.

Thanks, that made my day.

FuzzWaddle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 25, 2013, 04:59:36 pm »

Hey, Its Vista so I expect anything out of it especially when its something stupid like this situation.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 25, 2013, 05:03:32 pm »

#wizard
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 27, 2013, 12:47:29 pm »

That exact thing happened to me in another application. It took hours of frustration to figure out that the problem was custom colors. Figuring that out was frustrating too, since I was trying every insanely complex solution I could think of long before it.

God, I miss Windows XP.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 27, 2013, 02:36:13 pm »

That exact thing happened to me in another application. It took hours of frustration to figure out that the problem was custom colors. Figuring that out was frustrating too, since I was trying every insanely complex solution I could think of long before it.

God, I miss Windows XP.
From what I've heard, 8 is so much worse with compatibility issues.
Oh so much worse.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1571 on: March 05, 2013, 07:50:37 am »

Dear me... I'm glad it worked, though!

This fortnight's blog entry is now up, with another generated block image, and a lot of info about ziggurats, puzzles, and what you can/can't expect from 0.3:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2013/03/05/ziggurats-and-skulls/

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:53 am »

Hm... i'll take a look at this. If I could join a mercenary band in hell-world overflowing with evil, only for my trusted friend to betray us all so I have to go on a roaring rampage of revenge, tainted by the dark powers...

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 06, 2013, 06:27:57 pm »

Man, I hope somebody records your lecture at the IRDC, because I am tied with work down here in Spain.

First time a convention of personal interest appears in Poland and I had already emigrated.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:45 pm »

Man, I hope somebody records your lecture at the IRDC

Yeah, me too. Even the title strikes curiosity: "Procedural Art"
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 221