Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadly dust  (Read 1264 times)

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deadly dust
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:59:54 am »

I stumbled across something interesting regarding Deadly Dust today when I purposely sent my best squad against the local Forgotten Beast to see what would happen: It dodged into a nearby pool of water and my dudes, being awesome either jumped in after or stood at the edge of the water to hit it with things, however I found the water prevented the spread of the dust. During the entire fight the combat log was spammed with messages of the Forgotten Beast being hit by its own dust, but not a single one of the dwarfs got it.

This suggests another potential way to deal with this kind of FB other than crossbows, which might help in the case of those FBs made of stone, the trick is either keeping your forces at the edge of water or training them to swim before trying it it seems. I have another one running around in the caverns somewhere, and one with Vapors so I'll try to test and see if I can replicate the events.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly dust
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:21:23 am »

I stumbled across something interesting regarding Deadly Dust today when I purposely sent my best squad against the local Forgotten Beast to see what would happen: It dodged into a nearby pool of water and my dudes, being awesome either jumped in after or stood at the edge of the water to hit it with things, however I found the water prevented the spread of the dust. During the entire fight the combat log was spammed with messages of the Forgotten Beast being hit by its own dust, but not a single one of the dwarfs got it.

This suggests another potential way to deal with this kind of FB other than crossbows, which might help in the case of those FBs made of stone, the trick is either keeping your forces at the edge of water or training them to swim before trying it it seems. I have another one running around in the caverns somewhere, and one with Vapors so I'll try to test and see if I can replicate the events.

Trap the beast in an area where you can flood it then test at what level of water it stops his attack.  If it stops the attack at 1/7 water level then thats awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:56:43 am »

The dust acts like cave-in dust, I'm surprised something could actually stop it!

PTW

Results.  :D

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:17:28 am »

The dust acts like cave-in dust, I'm surprised something could actually stop it!

PTW

Results.  :D

Well, in theory if his dust attack hits a watery surface, at best he'd be making huge-ass splashes and displacing a few water tiles.  The reason the "explosive backlash" only hurts him is probably because the watertile only keeps it local (within the tile), so technically if someone was "ontop" of him, he would probably get hurt by the attack.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:47:33 am »

Wouldn't stop the syndrome though...