Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation  (Read 16067 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Last Dwarfs in The World
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 03:40:53 am »

This is a dark green donkey letter diary. On it is an image of Mistem 'Derro' Tishhislogem the female dwarf.

Oh. My. Avuz. I can't believe it! Today, king Imic... I mean... I...

I'M GOING TO BE A QUEEN CONSORT!

Okay... need to calm down. I'll go do some relaxing metalsmithing. Maybe a statue to commemorate me and the king my love Imic's engagement? Yes, I'll do that. Oh, this is just too great!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:20:57 am by Derro »

Tournesol

• Bay Watcher
  • GOAT?? ME??
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2016, 06:17:23 am »

Time to go plant some more plump helmets. We need them for the booze, and I want to practice my farming skills in case we get our hands on a few barley seeds which I will then turn into a proper wine-maiking industry. We need booze to survive, and kids - but I'm in luck, it seems our two gentledwarves have picked others for mates so they will leave me alone. Had any of them chosen me, I'd had to go along with it for duty's sake: I do not want us to become extinct. But I'd rather spend my time drinking than raising kids.

I'm waiting for the forges to get ready and stocked so I can make us all some good protective gear. In the meantime, after I'm done with my farming chores, I'll go play with the magma.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2016, 07:29:07 am »

Diary

This is the first happy day in ages! We have finally found something nice! Maybe I can make a statue from this clay... Put some jewels in it... Oh yes....

((can you make a clay statue of Gwolfski and Nix?))
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2016, 07:34:46 am »

Dear journal,

Not really sure why I'm writing in this stupid thing, got digging to do, always just a bit more.  Not exciting work, but it keeps ya busy, keeps ya in shape.  Speaking of, Gwolfski's been giving me the eye lately.  And not the goblin-y stink eye like Imic, no, the much more pleasant kind.  Figured I'd  keep to myself, stay out of trouble, but I gotta say, I ain't minding the attention.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2016, 09:14:05 am »

@gwolski I might look into that time stream thing. I like the concept of a family fort as opposed to a migrant heavy fort.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:44:28 am by Migrant »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 02:09:38 pm »

Yuo have to get it seperate from dfhack and put it in scripts folder

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2016, 03:35:11 am »

I've been tied up due to real life. Update coming either later today or tomorrow.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2016, 05:32:16 am »

I've been tied up due to real life. Update coming either later today or tomorrow.

Don't worry. AS long as you don't abondon this  ;)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2016, 09:28:58 am »

This is a dark green donkey letter diary. On it is an image of Mistem 'Derro' Tishhislogem the female dwarf.

Oh. My. Avuz. I can't believe it! Today, king Imic... I mean... I...

I'M GOING TO BE A QUEEN CONSORT!

Okay... need to calm down. I'll go do some relaxing metalsmithing. Maybe a statue to commemorate me and the king my love Imic's engagement? Yes, I'll do that. Oh, this is just too great!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*silent emotion*
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2016, 10:20:24 am »

Boo
is dwarfingallowedhere?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2016, 12:36:44 pm »

Yes, but I think we ran out of dwarves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2016, 01:02:19 pm »

That's not "tied up", that's "briefly interrupted" :P

No matter the conditions, take as long as you want, you're the one writing this.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »

This is a masterwork dog leather journal owned by Kogan 'NCommander' Kelnakuth. On its covered is adored images of seven dwarfs. The image related to the founding of Scorchedgravel, the last Dwarven settlement.

---

Early Autumn 550

I've been thinking a lot. We're getting pretty close to harvesting our last round of crops, and have enough iron smelted to rebuild the wagon; I do think we can get out of here soon, but I'm worried that the others won't want to go.

Even now, on a nightly basis, Imic has been reading more poetry ...

... and expanded to playing music ...

My eardrums have finally stopped bleeding, but the others seem to enjoy it. Honestly, its been nine months since a calminity has struck us, and for the first time since we fled into the underground, I'm seeing smiling dwarfs. I'm glad to see moral is higher, but we can't stay ...

When winter comes upon us, we'll have to head out.

---

Mid-Autumn 550

I wanted to make sure we left with excess metal supplies, I don't know the next time we'll have a realistic opportunity to mine and smelt again. Ideally, I'd like to smelt steal, but with virtually no wood, and no coal, I suspect that will remain a pipe dream. Unfortunately, Nix has struck water.

At least we know we don't need to go to the caverns for it now. We still need a way to safely pierce the aquifer though ...

---
Second Entry

Nix has struck gold. Literally struck gold.

It's hard to say how large the vein is, but it just keeps going. It was this type of wealth that the legends of old were made out of. Directly below it, we've also hit large veins of native copper, and galena. No easy-to-harvest iron as of yet

I've had a small minecart track run up to the forges to ease transportation, and a solid gold minecart built to begin transportation.

---

Late Autumn 550

I had a long talk with Imic who had Derro earlier. They wanted for us to stay the winter and have time to relax. The argument they put forth was that we've been running for over a year, and constantly working since we've been here. They said that if they didn't get some real downtime, people were going to crack.

I can't say I disagree with them, but I argued that the longer we stay, the more likely we're discovered, or our path of escape will get blocked off by something in the caverns. I won't repeat the full discussion here, but ultimately, I conceded to putting the issue to a vote.

The motion passed 6 to 7.

I guess we're here until next year. I hope this won't mean our doom.

Winter 550

The official "vacation" has started

... I don't like to think about it, but I don't think we're leaving Scorchedgravel (as we've come to call it). Everyone has gotten too settled in, and I can't help but think that if I try and push for us to leave with the coming spring, I'll face a riot. Even if I put my foot down and forced the matter, I don't think it would make a difference. All this downtime has left me a lot of time to mediate. Even if we avoided the humans and goblins from now until eternity, we're still screwed.

Baring other survivors in the wilds which may or may not exist, we are the last seven dwarfs in the world. Accidents will pick us off one by one until there is no one left. At least here in Scorchedgravel, we're not exposed to the wilds; as long as we remain undetected, we'll survive.

---
Mid-Winter 550

We're drowning in birds.

Damn turkeys can outbreed just about anything else.

---
Late Winter 550

The turkeys have been caged, and once the winter ends, we'll be having a butchering party to celebrate. However, I realized something after I managed to chase down the last errant bird.

Dwarfs can reproduce.

I know this is an astonishing revelation to all, but maybe ... just maybe ... our situation is not hopeless. The seven of us might not be able to change anything as is, but if there were more of us, we could. Our mistake was hiding away from the world until the humans could dig us out. If we had been more active in our defense, maybe we could have stood our ground and survived. With a large population, it could be done ...

I've noticed our two bachelors have been getting friendly with Nix and Derro respectively. I'm no farmer, but if you have fertile ground, you could make anything grow. I need to make sure neither Imic or Gwolfski ever see this, but I decided to encourage this.

Officially, I've had the bedrooms paired together to prevent anything happening to anyone in their sleep. Standard protective measure against vampires (not that we need to worry about this).

Unofficially, I've made sure I've paired those who are most likely to come together in marriage. I don't know if I'm right in doing this; bringing a child into this hellish war might be a sin that Armok smites us all for. I do not know ...

But if there's any hope for the future, it will be in those who come after us ...
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2016, 11:43:27 pm »

Hm. Dame de la Licorne, what does your research say on praying for marriage? I believe dwarves do not talk on jobs.

That minecart setup....Are you using 3-ramp bunker to kick the cart diagonally upwards?
Though heh, a gold minecart full of gold will be pretty deadly :v
A weapon to surpass metal gear.
I approve.

However, a dog civilization, sleeping in proper beds? Now that is something I'm more surprised about. About 7 or so dogs in screenshot too, what serendipity.

More seriously, the aquifer probably shears, given your location on hilly terrain. This can reduce the workload for punching through a multilayer one with precise planning, though if it is a single-layer one don't brother :p A hatch cover and relocating pump can suffice in that case, or might just cave in a larger layer wholesale to skip on digging drainage. Or, heck, with the volcano there can perhaps use stairs to dig out a large area in the aquifer, then pour magma to have excellent living/dining area. Heck, two should also act well as natural defence against digging invaders, which can be with little thinking covered into automatic encasing trap, provided the attackers are immune to both magma and water individually.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:58 am »

I managed to dig around the aquifer. As long as I stay close to the volcano, I can get under it, and I dropped a shaft all the way to Z-20 elsewhere on the map. This update is still behind where I am in the game; to get them to actually socialize and become lovers required pain, and burrows to make them cancel the green tasks. I haven't even gotten to the rather nasty forgotten beast that showed up (I'm not getting access to cavern wood anytime soon. Fire breathing spiders can go fuck themselfs).

The dogs are there because I denoted meeting areas from the statues and removed the tavern/temple for now. Right now they're caged until I have a better idea what to do with them. I don't use impulse ramps though; too exploity. Guided for now, and I may build an actual powered system in the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13