Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566640 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1725 on: November 05, 2010, 05:11:51 pm »

Well, he did do a few bugfixes quite recently, which does point to a more imminent release, so I imagine a weekend release is in the cards.

Or perhaps he was abducted by aliens from an alien planet using an alien tractor beam from an alien space craft.

ALIENS!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 05, 2010, 06:37:34 pm »

He'll code some better software for the alien ships and they'll return him out of gratitude.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: November 05, 2010, 06:43:04 pm »

Or they'll keep him to themselves and force him to program a game for them...

Quick!  We must rescue him!  Somebody rig up the adamantine space elevator to be a airship refueling station and make the Fist of Armok airtight!  We have a programmer to rescue!

(insert epic space battle here)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: November 05, 2010, 07:19:54 pm »

Now, we must fill space with Magma(c) !

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: November 05, 2010, 07:40:45 pm »

All the space?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1730 on: November 05, 2010, 07:49:20 pm »

It'll be good as long as we get the pumps near a map edge.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: November 05, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »

All the space?

All of it.
Even the black holes and supernovae.

this is incredibly silly

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:00 pm »

Bluh.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1733 on: November 05, 2010, 08:42:55 pm »

Ok, don't think I've seen this so I'll ask.

Can we have some info about Minotaurs? Do they build their labyrinths or are they just locked away in them by some other civ (more in line with classical mythology). Where are these Labyrinths, just in the middle of nowhere, in caves or on the edge of town? Do the minotaurs ever come out and kill the helpless peasants? Will there ever be civ relationships between them and neighboring villages (ie, offer up a child every year or something to stop the minotaur from rampaging though town.) Etc.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: November 05, 2010, 08:44:54 pm »

Bluh.

FAKE FAKE

Also to keep this sticky from derailing, in the case that Toady has not been kidnapped by aliens and at one point will actually read something from here, at what point is the trader arc planned to come in? As in something non-violent to do for the town -- buying low and selling high on site resources, leading a trader caravan, etc

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: November 05, 2010, 08:56:00 pm »

Ok, don't think I've seen this so I'll ask.

Can we have some info about Minotaurs? Do they build their labyrinths or are they just locked away in them by some other civ (more in line with classical mythology). Where are these Labyrinths, just in the middle of nowhere, in caves or on the edge of town? Do the minotaurs ever come out and kill the helpless peasants? Will there ever be civ relationships between them and neighboring villages (ie, offer up a child every year or something to stop the minotaur from rampaging though town.) Etc.

A lot of this was answered here:

Quote from: tfaal
Could you elaborate a bit on what a labyrinth is? Is it a natural element of a cavern that minotaurs gravitate toward, something created by the minotaur, or an abandoned structure created by a civilization?
Quote from: Cruxador
God behavior is supposed to eventually be procedurally generated. Having them always punish an entire race of beings sort of detracts pretty significantly from that. Also, in Greek myth, the Minotaur was put in the labyrinth by Minos and Daedalus. Though Minos was a demigod, his measure of divinity was not related to the imprisonment, he was merely Daedalus' patron.
Quote from: Fieari
What type of labyrinth generator are you using? Will it be a true labyrinth (just a single path, typically boring), or actually a maze? There are circular maze types that look like labyrinths at first, after all...

How will labyrinths interact with rural sprawl? Will there be farms directly surrounding the labyrinth walls, or will there be a "protected" area around it where humans just won't go near willingly?  How large?  Night Creature lairs in general might be a good way of keeping sprawl down, especially if they keep normal civs away, but don't prevent embarking in DF mode... maybe using the underground fog of war system to cover their territory up.

Right now, a labyrinth is something created by the minotaur.  Ideally, the mythological method would be possible, but that requires lots of things we don't have yet, so we just hand-waved them in.

It is modeled on the Labyrinth, which is a maze, rather than a labyrinth, as far as I understand how the terms have been tortured over time, he he he.  So yeah, you can get lost, though in the case of ones that span Z levels we have stayed well away from the horror possible.  A 40x40x4 maze unconstrained was too much, maybe more like it should be from the myth where you have trouble escaping even when you aren't being devoured, so we are a little soft on the z level changes.  I let the 2 level ones float freely in some percentage of the maps, since that isn't so bad to figure out in practice.

The labyrinths are all underground and moreover outside of the village limits to avoid the irritation.  They can be close, but not within the fields themselves.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: November 05, 2010, 09:07:51 pm »

toady hasleft a sign of his alife-ness

11/05/2010:        I'm still working, fixing up bugs and other issues.  I'm about halfway   through my list of things I'd like to clean up, with the worst ones   (castles occasionally being placed halfway underground, etc.) being   handled.  I'm just going to keep at it until it is ready.  :        I'm still working, fixing up bugs and other issues.  I'm about halfway   through my list of things I'd like to clean up, with the worst ones   (castles occasionally being placed halfway underground, etc.) being   handled.  I'm just going to keep at it until it is ready. 

Well for another round of bug-guessing i say that castles and/or Labyrinths start now midair. Also The inhabitants of said castle will fight each other as soon yo enter it.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

rhinelander

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: November 05, 2010, 09:22:47 pm »

As long as aimed attacks are more or less bug-free, I'm happy. Ah, the joys of cruel, precise slaughter...  :D

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1738 on: November 05, 2010, 09:49:31 pm »

toady hasleft a sign of his alife-ness

11/05/2010:        I'm still working, fixing up bugs and other issues.  I'm about halfway   through my list of things I'd like to clean up, with the worst ones   (castles occasionally being placed halfway underground, etc.) being   handled.  I'm just going to keep at it until it is ready.  :        I'm still working, fixing up bugs and other issues.  I'm about halfway   through my list of things I'd like to clean up, with the worst ones   (castles occasionally being placed halfway underground, etc.) being   handled.  I'm just going to keep at it until it is ready. 

Well for another round of bug-guessing i say that castles and/or Labyrinths start now midair. Also The inhabitants of said castle will fight each other as soon yo enter it.
Where was this posted?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »

The groundhog bites you in the left eye!  It is torn!  The groundhog bites you in the right eye!  It is torn!

...No wait, that happened already.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 342