Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566565 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2685 on: December 17, 2010, 07:13:26 am »

Eggs claim for nests.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: December 17, 2010, 07:25:50 am »

Eggs claim for nests.
huh?

Arblarch the distracted feather, pet chicken, has gone into a brooding mood!
Arblarch the distracted feather, pet chicken, has claimed a nest!
Arblarch the distracted feather, pet chicken, has hatched Urist the chicken-dwarf, an artefact hybrid!

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:26 am »

I'm sorry that this could count as a suggestion, but it's very minor, and doesn't even need a long reply past Yes/No.

Will you add any of the new craftable materials (wool, clay), but also some older ones (horn, teeth, pearls, feathers) as prerequisites for artifacts? And the other way around, will any of the new items (pottery, porcelain) be artifactable?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:45:31 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: December 17, 2010, 08:01:22 am »

Hey Toady, can you say what the 16 new animals will be? or do you want it to be a surprise?

it's supposed to be a surprise. you will have to discuss them in spoiler tags even after the game comes out.

I'm sorry that this could count as a suggestion, but it's very minor, and doesn't even need a long reply past Yes/No.

Will you add any of the new craftable materials (wool, clay), but also some older ones (horn, teeth, pearls, feathers) as prerequisites for artifacts? And the other way around, will any of the new items (pottery, porcelain) be artifactable?

i think that's a valid question, it's relating to the new materials introduced in this version.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: December 17, 2010, 08:17:23 am »

it's supposed to be a surprise. you will have to discuss them in spoiler tags even after the game comes out.

oh god please no. it's silly enough as it is right now.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: December 17, 2010, 09:17:41 am »

What kind of structures/towns will dwarves and elves have if they get visible settlements in the next update?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: December 17, 2010, 10:48:26 am »

If the animals are right there on the embark menu, I think that putting them in spoiler tags will be rather silly.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: December 17, 2010, 11:19:06 am »

No, just no. Spoilering ghosts was already dumb.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: December 17, 2010, 11:44:51 am »

Dragon and roc eggs imply dragons and rocs reproduce.  How will inherently lonely megabeasts find mates?  Will other megabeasts reproduce?  And will FBs and titans be able to inherit egg laying?
Maybe megabeasts reproduce now, but since the devlog didn't mention it, I wouldn't count on it, especially as reproducing megabeasts is part of the dev page. It may simply be that female rocs and dragons get inert eggs added to their lairs/nests (but it seems I'm wrong about the implementations often enough, and I would love to be wrong).

oh god please no. it's silly enough as it is right now.
It's pretty clear that Askot is joking. And it seems that Toady doesn't really expect that even truly hidden fun stuff remains hidden for long after the release.

What kind of structures/towns will dwarves and elves have if they get visible settlements in the next update?
That's a pretty big "if". Elves will probably take longer than dwarves and goblins to get proper sites again due to the multi-tile tree issue, and I wouldn't expect dwarf/goblin sites until after (maybe during) the army "month".
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: December 17, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »

I thought the mention of spoilering was sarcasm.

If not, Askot is an idiot. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: December 17, 2010, 03:21:15 pm »

I suddenly just realized that, with the addition of dragon LAIRS, we are this much closer to simulating Dragon Warrior/Quest (NES) in DF.

Step 1. King gives quest to kill dragon and bring back princess. (About half possible?)
Step 2. Fight modded-in slimes and other creatures to level up your skills and abilities. (Don't know how much % possible)
Step 3. Find new towns, explore dungeons for equipment (pretty much possible except for elaborate dungeons which will be incredible when implemented)
Step 4. Fight bosses as you go. (megabeasts and night creatures, anyone?)
Step 5. Townsperson: Retrieveth twenty bear guts. Will pay 20 gold. (probably eventually)
Step 6. With new equipment and skills, bash the dragon's head out. Complete your main quest. (Probably done except for the dragon capturing someone)

My face at this prospect is not unlike FSJAL.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: December 17, 2010, 03:28:52 pm »

I suddenly just realized that, with the addition of dragon LAIRS, we are this much closer to simulating Dragon Warrior/Quest (NES) in DF.

Step 1. King gives quest to kill dragon and bring back princess. (About half possible?)
Step 2. Fight modded-in slimes and other creatures to level up your skills and abilities. (Don't know how much % possible)
Step 3. Find new towns, explore dungeons for equipment (pretty much possible except for elaborate dungeons which will be incredible when implemented)
Step 4. Fight bosses as you go. (megabeasts and night creatures, anyone?)
Step 5. Townsperson: Retrieveth Twenty Bear Asses. Will pay 20 gold. (probably eventually)
Step 6. With new equipment and skills, bash the dragon's head out. Complete your main quest. (Probably done except for the dragon capturing someone)

My face at this prospect is not unlike FSJAL.

Fixed.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: December 17, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »

I love the DF forums because everyone gets all of the references to everything important on the internet.

New question -- and this has probably been asked, but I didn't see it -- I realize that we'll probably be able to raise dragons and rocs from eggs in Fortress mode, but will we be able to do so in ADVENTURE MODE? Since there will probably be horse riding, I don't think it's too far off.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2698 on: December 17, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »

I was asking about the way things are displayed in hopes that it would be something that could go hand-in-hand with the work being done redoing the text display functions for TT fonts.

I suppose I'm also interested in why it is the way it is now.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:58:47 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: December 17, 2010, 04:12:45 pm »

I realize that we'll probably be able to raise dragons and rocs from eggs in Fortress mode, but will we be able to do so in ADVENTURE MODE? Since there will probably be horse riding, I don't think it's too far off.

Wait, what's the horse for?
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 342