Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566629 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2955 on: January 12, 2011, 10:56:23 am »

PRESS CAKES.

RECIEVE BUTTON.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: January 12, 2011, 11:14:21 am »

Is it likely to see any interface improvements before core element nr 25? For example - filtering for units list (now it is required to pass through all inhabitants of your fortress/or all dead creatures to reach invaders listing).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:34 pm »

Therahedwig: If memory serves me, Toady has confirmed that villages will be getting forges, workshops, with the coming update
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: January 12, 2011, 01:45:11 pm »

So yeah, the answer to my question really depends on whether Toady thinks he has satisfied enough of the Cavaran Arc's ambitions to say that core goals have been met. Considering what we've heard so far, I'm thinking new version.

I came to DF from ADOM, and quite frankly, after more than a decade of waiting for JADE, I'm not sure if I can cope with the pace of DF development - I end up getting stuck waiting for the next version before embarking on what I always tell myself will be the fortress to end all fortresses, and then never make a fortress, and just read the devlogs instead.

The next version will be so awesome though, I shall have to find time to dive in...

@Doomshifter: I am pretty sure steam power has been suggested and knocked down as too advanced and too steampunk in hundreds of controversial threads all over the suggestion forums, with current thinking being eventual steam power is unlikely. Animal power seems reasonable though... maybe even prisoner powered treadmills.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: January 12, 2011, 06:31:19 pm »

@Doomshifter: I am pretty sure steam power has been suggested and knocked down as too advanced and too steampunk in hundreds of controversial threads all over the suggestion forums, with current thinking being eventual steam power is unlikely. Animal power seems reasonable though... maybe even prisoner powered treadmills.
My understanding on Steam is that it's in the same boat as biological waste - because of its controversial nature, it would need to have an init option to disable it, and Toady doesn't want to prioritize something that a bunch of people would just turn off anyway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: January 12, 2011, 07:06:19 pm »

My understanding on Steam is that it's in the same boat as biological waste - because of its controversial nature, it would need to have an init option to disable it, and Toady doesn't want to prioritize something that a bunch of people would just turn off anyway.

Steam power isn't being excluded because it's controversial amongst the players; it's being excluded because Toady doesn't want to include it. He's made statements about that plenty of times.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: January 12, 2011, 08:47:30 pm »

Hmmm pretty interesting is the thing about feeding animals. If we assume that 3 or 4 units of plants equals 1 unit of meat The food situation will be different and all the excess Mushrooms will become handy in the production of meat, Milk wool and you name what ever we can make from animals.

Thus we will have a abundance of food if we focus on a vegetarian fortress but if we want to use Animals for whatever the situation will change drastically.

edit: Now that we have oil we could make grease for machine parts or extra slippery hallways with oil spatters to slow down incoming military. Hehe no seriously now oil could be a good use for maintaining weapons and Armor made from leather and Metal as soon rust for metal objects is in. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:13:49 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2962 on: January 13, 2011, 12:01:26 am »

isnt it more like 10:1 per trophic level?

Advantage though is that animal feed does not need to be edible (grass), and pastureland need not be farmable.

SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: January 13, 2011, 01:31:50 am »

trophic level for chickens is iirc 2:1 thus 2 Kilo grain on 1 Kilo meat but for cows you would be about right - it depends on the animal. The thing is that animal feed (like pure grain) has a higher content of fat and Nutrients then the natural diet of animals (say normal grassing) so the trophic level for these diets are different. Its a little bit like humans which have a healthy diet (lots of vegies, 3 to 4 times a weak meat) compared to someone who lives on Fastfood and Softdrinks. 

Even different breeds differ in the food-to-meat ratio. Cows like the diary breed "Holstein Cattle" produce less meat per kilo grain then Meat/beef breads "Florida cracker cattle" or "German Angus cattle". For most animals you have to look at the feed the species and the breed to get the correct ratio.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:38:50 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: January 13, 2011, 06:27:54 am »

trophic level for chickens is iirc 2:1 thus 2 Kilo grain on 1 Kilo meat but for cows you would be about right - it depends on the animal. The thing is that animal feed (like pure grain) has a higher content of fat and Nutrients then the natural diet of animals (say normal grassing) so the trophic level for these diets are different. Its a little bit like humans which have a healthy diet (lots of vegies, 3 to 4 times a weak meat) compared to someone who lives on Fastfood and Softdrinks. 

Even different breeds differ in the food-to-meat ratio. Cows like the diary breed "Holstein Cattle" produce less meat per kilo grain then Meat/beef breads "Florida cracker cattle" or "German Angus cattle". For most animals you have to look at the feed the species and the breed to get the correct ratio.

Anyone else find it comical that the person in the above quote is named Heph and speaking about cow breeds and their grain to meat ratio? 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: January 13, 2011, 10:21:45 am »

Anyone else find it comical that the person in the above quote is named Heph and speaking about cow breeds and their grain to meat ratio?

I don't think it's funny, enlighten me please

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:49 am »

heipher is slang for a beef cow iirc
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: January 13, 2011, 10:32:09 am »

heifer
*Hugs*

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: January 13, 2011, 12:37:44 pm »

On a more general note, warm blooded animals generally require much more food than cold-blooded ones. Checking on wikipedia, "In general a warm-blooded animal requires 5 to 10 times as much food as a cold-blooded animal of the same size and build, so cold-blooded animals are better at surviving in environments with small amounts of food, such as a desert, or great seasonal variations in food, such as some tropical areas with long dry seasons."

I'm curious to know if biologists have charts for the expected food-mass consumption of an animal with a given size, build and metabolism; if it's a simple enough relationship Toady might be able to make use of it.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:27 pm »

Will villages produce and export other goods besides food? And will they also demand materials for these?

I think it would be awesome if a nearby human town decided that they want to make walls or a special building of some kind and start mass-demanding stone blocks.

Actually, I'm curious to know if the deforestation caused by human settlements is currently related to the amount of lumber demanded for the construction of buildings.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 342