Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566627 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3090 on: January 22, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »

Well i for once have special stance on that. I predict that clay can be gathered like sand but degrades the tile below slowly like a half mined tile.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: January 22, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »

I kinda hope that clay is not infinite, and said lack of infiniteness also changes sand.  As it currently stands, a single 7 full tile of magma and a single tile of sand allows the production of an infinite supply of green glass.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: January 22, 2011, 07:28:22 pm »

I'm personally excited about the artistic aspects of clay. Theoretically, we'd have a wider variety of available crafts coming from the ease in which pots are fired and clay is molded. Of course this is all just flavor text fodder but I really think thinks like that add to the game.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: January 22, 2011, 07:54:10 pm »

Also adds to the the new economy too...deeper that is I spose the more flavor you can have...

Its also good to be able to make a fort designed around a culture or something...I would love to be able to have a desert settlement with no stone and clay instead (trade based only)...most likely humans (sometimes I play as other races)...I like to impose realistic restrictions on myself...so that every game doesn't turn into a make the same fort every time rinse and repeat type thing...

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: January 22, 2011, 08:47:56 pm »

I think infinite sand is a concession to the game not having any mechanism by which stone erodes into sand. In the real world, sand is practically infinite because the seas are constantly grinding out more of it. So whether clay is infinite for the time being (one can assume that ultimately infinite sand will be replaced by sand produced through constant erosion) depends on whether it's (in real life) like sand (produced at a rate such that it's practically infinite where it can be found) or more of a limited resource. I think it's the latter, but I'm actually not sure.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: January 22, 2011, 08:49:06 pm »

I think infinite sand is a concession to the game not having any mechanism by which stone erodes into sand. In the real world, sand is practically infinite because the seas are constantly grinding out more of it.

Erosion doesn't take place so fast that sand is effectively infinite. You can still run out, realistically speaking, in a given location.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: January 22, 2011, 08:53:37 pm »

Yeah. It's infinite in the sense that coal and oil are infinite.
*Hugs*

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: January 22, 2011, 08:58:37 pm »

The only time that I can fathom sand being used up in its entirety is if there was a large mining operation akin to a rock pit or something...especially in the desert...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: January 22, 2011, 09:00:05 pm »

The only time that I can fathom sand being used up in its entirety is if there was a large mining operation akin to a rock pit or something...especially in the desert...

In real life, you don't just use any sand you can find to make sand, but I'm not sure how rare it would be.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: January 22, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »

I am aware of that....but even still...a handful of people digging sand wont make it go away...I think it makes sense and is realistic if it does to some degree...perhaps like well takes away from water...10 draws from a well = 1/7 water...apply that to sand would work.

But I also would like to see some landscaping added to the game...you cant make natural mounds or hills or anything...everything is constructed...and you cant do aesthetic vegetation either...you cant even plant trees...(slightly unrelated but still along similar lines)

As for the purity of sand used perhaps there needs to be added a sifters workshop added to the glass production chain or sand can be like some ores and only work a certain % of the time...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: January 22, 2011, 10:57:57 pm »

I am aware of that....but even still...a handful of people digging sand wont make it go away...I think it makes sense and is realistic if it does to some degree...perhaps like well takes away from water...10 draws from a well = 1/7 water...apply that to sand would work.

Yeah, there are suggestions for sand to work like that, as a sort of semi-fluid, and I would enjoy that.

As for the purity of sand used perhaps there needs to be added a sifters workshop added to the glass production chain or sand can be like some ores and only work a certain % of the time...

No amount of sifting will turn red sand white.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: January 22, 2011, 11:10:30 pm »

I call BS....we are talking about dwarf !!!SCIENCE!!! here!

And besides...if they couldn't find some way to make it work they would just sift it into submission until it finally gives up and turns white...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:12:22 pm by dennislp3 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: January 22, 2011, 11:17:44 pm »

And besides...if they couldn't find some way to make it work they would just sift it into submission until it finally gives up and turns white...

I like to think that Toady doesn't choose which features to implement based on bad jokes.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: January 23, 2011, 12:11:42 am »

I like to think that Toady doesn't choose which features to implement based on bad jokes.

I like to think that people take bad jokes as bad jokes and not legitimate attempts to suggest implementing a feature...but then again I don't see how your idea of pure sand with color as a restriction is so much better...nor do i see how it would mean a feature is poorly implemented. Toady does a good job of making things realistic but that doesnt mean the game is going to be on par with real life...

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: January 23, 2011, 12:19:30 am »

I seem to recall a podcast where Toady mentioned that the current model for sand was, in his mind, a placeholder until he figures out some way to do some kind of semifluid system that doesn't unnecessarily eat CPU time, and doesn't confuse the player with collapse conditions. 
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 342