Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566101 times)

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3285 on: January 31, 2011, 05:42:46 pm »

Sorry to be thick, but where are the schedule and devblog?

I can find the current development and current goals listings, but these don't mention some of the things being talked about here, such as updates.  What am I missing?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: January 31, 2011, 05:46:34 pm »

devlog is on the download page: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html

Schedule is on your current goals link
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: January 31, 2011, 05:46:55 pm »

+Microcline Syrup+

I could respond to this so many different ways, but...

"Stone Soup" is all I can really think about.

I'm not sure letting dwarves outright eat the excess stone they generate is necessarily the way we want to send this game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: January 31, 2011, 05:54:18 pm »

Has there been any word on how the caravan arc will impact the dwarven economy portion of fortress mode?  Will minting coin have relevance now?

I only ask because I had to wonder how merchants and travelers will pay for their rooms at The Inn of the Prancing Skinless Moose after update 4... If "dwarf mode inns" means what I think it means.

No, but something like this may come in Update 6. Though  recall the major issue with the coins, is with how their stacked, a prevalent design issue with a lot of small items.

Yeah, it grinds fortresses to a halt.  I only ever minted coins in my very first 40d fortress, and never bothered again.  But the whole caravan arc begs the question of how exactly the economy is being handled.  Barter is probably the most efficient method for between-site trade, but within-site (i.e., paying for an inn), it seems like it needs to be handled some other way.

Traders could at least abstract their payment to The Inn of the Prancing Skinless Moose in the trade screen. Say if you had an exceptional inn with quality food and a wide selection of intoxicants you would find your trade starting off with a certain trader profit to account for the "coin" they spent at your inn. Or maybe a legendary inn could at least give you more favorable trade rolls when offering the traders a less favorable deal.

Yes, unless there is actually going to be some corresponding economy overhaul within the caravan arc, some sort of abstraction is going to be taking place.  The favorable trade rolls seems the most likely speculation in that case, corresponding with the quality of your inn, or whatever.

Edit: Likewise, travelers (i.e. adventurers) might be more willing to do quests for your Fortress

Is that happening any time soon?  I guess this is all part of my other (green) question about what exactly the implications of "fortress mode inns" are.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3289 on: January 31, 2011, 08:11:04 pm »

+Microcline Syrup+

I'm not sure letting dwarves outright eat the excess stone they generate is necessarily the way we want to send this game.
Who knows, maybe Dwarves in this universe act like Gorons.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: January 31, 2011, 08:14:13 pm »

Sorry to be thick, but where are the schedule and devblog?

I can find the current development and current goals listings, but these don't mention some of the things being talked about here, such as updates.  What am I missing?
People are also asking about less immediate potential developments, as they come to mind. The things you linked are indeed the devlog and schedule.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: January 31, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »

+Microcline Syrup+

Or maybe it's more fit for a Goron mod. (I hope Dwarves in a New World keeps being updated! Eventually!) It definitely doesn't belong in vanilla. NW's post made me smile.
Heck, we can probably already do this with reactions, just minus the syrup being actually inside the stone.

I didn't know that minting coins destroyed FPS. Which brings another question to add to the list of probably thousands of unanswered questions that may or may not be currently giving Toady an aneurysm. When the economy (presumably after the caravan arc) is more fleshed out, will there be a possibility for more fleshed out specifically-for-trade goods? (coins, and so forth) Currently coins are just minted with a random engraving and/or the symbol of the civ, but it might not be hard to come up with an alternative solution.

Of course this is bare minimum priority compared to all of the cool things coming in, but still, come on.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »

+Microcline Syrup+

Yeah, the whole "eating rocks" thing reminded me of the trading sequence in Oracle of Seasons, where you give the Subrosian a pot and he makes you some lava soup.

Now that would be a meal!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3293 on: January 31, 2011, 08:56:51 pm »

+Microcline Syrup+

Yeah, the whole "eating rocks" thing reminded me of the trading sequence in Oracle of Seasons, where you give the Subrosian a pot and he makes you some lava soup.

Now that would be a meal!
REAL DWARVES EAT MAGMA FOR BREAKFAST
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:32 pm »

Coincidentally, the soup is used to cure Biggoron's cold.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: January 31, 2011, 09:00:00 pm »

Well i am not so much into modding but couldnt you just add [EDIBLE_RAW] to inorganic things to make them eatable?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: January 31, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »

Native silver roasts anyone?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3297 on: January 31, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »

Native silver roasts anyone?
Well, they carry around whole barrels full of prepared fly brains. I'm guessing they tried to eat ores before they got to this point.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: January 31, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »

What always cracked me up about fly brains is the completely unbelievable amount of skill and precision that would have had to have gone into extracting fly brains individually in order to fill an entire barrel with fly brains.

In fact, it almost sounds like something a dwarf convinced a noble was a "delicacy", so afterwards, some poor shmuck was sent on fly brain extraction duty to sate the need for nobles to have fly brains to eat at their lavish parties.

Then again, I've always hated everything ever called a "delicacy", and always thought they were just scams to get people to pay outrageous sums of money to eat stuffed mice or snails or something.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: January 31, 2011, 10:36:45 pm »

Do flys even have brains? iirc they and many other insetcts have a ladder nervesystem that does all the stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 342