Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566117 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3465 on: February 07, 2011, 03:31:01 pm »

Yes, but he'll also fix bugs in the meantime.

It's like this:
Toady codes stuff into the game, does some bugfixing and releases it. Repeat x 9. Then army-arc & adventure mode and then eternal suggestion voting top 10. After that what else there's mentioned on the dev-list.

Hm... They have added the top 10 suggestion stuff to the dev-list while I wasn't looking?
Farming Improvements

Soil moisture tracking and ability to moisten soil (buckets or other irrigation)
Soil nutrient requirements for plants and nutrient tracking to the extent the farming interface can provide decent feedback for you, fertilizers can reflect this
Harvestable flowers and fruit growing on plants, ability to plant trees
Weeds
More pests
I have the feeling that someone who has been writing novels on the subject will be happy.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: February 07, 2011, 03:45:27 pm »

I didn't really get seriously involved with the debate until that was up there.  The novels were on how they could be done most effectively, with that phrase being defined as giving the people who were interested in the subject the most complex and deep experience possible for them to enjoy, while not overloading those who were not interested with a burden they would find unwelcome.

I actually didn't even really support the NPK system (supporting a more abstract system, instead) until I read a Toady response in this thread saying he was considering NPK, if only he could find a "reasonable way to convey that information to the player."  The rest just sort of spiraled out from there.  (Which reminds me, I need to stop getting distracted, and finish up on my Interface section that's been sitting in my Word editor for a couple days, now.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: February 07, 2011, 03:46:54 pm »

I thought the point of the new release cycle was just so we had something to play with, rather than waiting ages for a release?

Max 2 weeks between minor releases is "ages"?  lol.  That, my friend, is a goddamn addiction!
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: February 07, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »

I was talking about the several month long waits as he added tons of stuff, this means that as soon as a particular aspect is playable he can release it.
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: February 07, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »

This is nothing compared to the delay from the last major release.

Toady's issue is when he decides to do something, he commits to the idea far and beyond what almost anyone expects. That naturally increases the amount of time between releases, but we reap the benefits all the same. (Not that I really had much interest in beekeeping, but hey, now it's the best damn bee-keeping simulator on the net, as well!)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: February 07, 2011, 05:03:28 pm »

Would it be so bad for a workshop to have a hidden "wooden planks" type counter that just goes up by something like 8 when a log is brought in? Right now you've got your 60,000 units of string and such but a messy workshop might not need quite so much precision. The dwarf working in it would know he had some extra scrap wood hither and thither but if you actually deconstructed it the dwarves wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of it and would just have a lump of garbage materials to toss in the rubbish heap.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:34 pm »

This is nothing compared to the delay from the last major release.

Toady's issue is when he decides to do something, he commits to the idea far and beyond what almost anyone expects. That naturally increases the amount of time between releases, but we reap the benefits all the same. (Not that I really had much interest in beekeeping, but hey, now it's the best damn bee-keeping simulator on the net, as well!)

The thing is, this is pretty much mandatory for being able to perform good coding.  You need to be able to write out a plan that expects where you will need to be a hundred steps further down the road than where you are right now, so that you don't have to rewrite your entire code to add on each new thing.  It really should be what more people expect.

It is, however, also not as exciting as getting some little treat now.  The amount of money Toady got in his donation drive by just offering to add in things like penguins, which only take raw modifications that you could mod in yourself proves that a good portion of the fanbase really like the excitement of opening up that new toy more than they enjoy really sitting down and exploring every facet of a more complex system like the new military or hospital systems...  Not that the overall opacity of interface and density of bugs really helped that too much.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: February 07, 2011, 05:49:52 pm »

*shrug* Most of players here wants new features more than bugfixs (except crashes). And they get what they wish for. Oh, so much.

I can only weep.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: February 07, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »

*shrug* Most of players here wants new features more than bugfixs (except crashes). And they get what they wish for. Oh, so much.

I can only weep.

I think you'd be surprised. A larger majority of the "veteran" fan base and a sizeable portion of the mid-to-new fans seem to think that bugfixes should take priority, or at least as much as new features.

Really, though, I think I can compare it to architecture for Toady. He's not contractually bound to do anything. Keep this in mind as I say that an architect enjoys building and designing a new construction -- setting down shop on a fresh slate, if you will -- more than pulling weeds from the garden recently placed on the grounds of the half- or completely-finished construction itself. Similarly, putting things into your program can be a lot more exciting and interesting than spending several hours scouring for the perfect way to find precisely where the bug is and eliminate it, which may or may not require reworking other code in the process.

Not that you shouldn't do it, of course; you have to as a programmer. If you didn't do a lot of bugfixing, you'd be crazy, and I think it should take high priority in DF along with many others on these forums. But when you're spending hours playtesting your own game, wouldn't you rather be playtesting new features rather than searching for that one telltale error report?

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't see why I offered a counterpoint in the first place. Looking through a few dozen of your posts, you seem like either a very embittered player who will complain about this same topic no matter what, or a troll. Pardon me/sorry if I'm wrong on that, but I'm gonna pretend I never posted this because it makes no difference in the long run.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:38:14 pm by freeformschooler »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: February 07, 2011, 08:17:42 pm »

Would it be so bad for a workshop to have a hidden "wooden planks" type counter that just goes up by something like 8 when a log is brought in? Right now you've got your 60,000 units of string and such but a messy workshop might not need quite so much precision. The dwarf working in it would know he had some extra scrap wood hither and thither but if you actually deconstructed it the dwarves wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of it and would just have a lump of garbage materials to toss in the rubbish heap.
Like the smelter currently works? It'd be a step in the right direction, but seems like a bit of a stopgap measure.
Nothing says a log needs to be split into as huge a number of units as thread is. Toady might add a size counter to each log going up to, say, 256; a wooden cup could then use 1 unit and a door 100 or whatever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:51 am »

Why stop there? We can have trees that give more than a fixed amount of wood when cut down, after all. Why should all trees be exactly the same size, whether a saguaro or an oak or a tunnel tube?  Why should all trees of the same kind be the same size, regardless of age?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:08 am »

Why stop there? We can have trees that give more than a fixed amount of wood when cut down, after all. Why should all trees be exactly the same size, whether a saguaro or an oak or a tunnel tube?  Why should all trees of the same kind be the same size, regardless of age?
If the change is to include that, it will have to wait until we have multitile trees.

Which is probably for the better anyway.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:58 am »

We do need multi-tile trees, but even with everything fitting in one tile, you can make one tree give more wood than another.  One tree gives 50 liters of wood, another gives 57 liters of wood, another gives 82 liters of wood.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: February 08, 2011, 01:10:27 am »

That sounds too complicated. I like the one-log system we have now better.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: February 08, 2011, 02:10:38 am »

Oh god, if that were implemented wrong we'd end up with Wurm Online's WOOD SCRAPS EVERYWHERE problem, and that's bad enough in a 1st person game. And we'd probably end up with some silliness with dwarves needing 10 almost totally used up logs to make one bed anyway.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 342