Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566109 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3945 on: March 06, 2011, 08:50:17 pm »

Cows need vocalizations so they can ACTUALLY have hunting moos.

"Urist, we can't stop here! This is cow country!"
"Mooooooo!"
"By Armok, Urist, the pack is closing in! Quickly, to the mines! There isn't much time!"

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: March 07, 2011, 11:17:39 am »

"Urist, we can't stop here! This is cow country!"
"Mooooooo!"
"By Armok, Urist, the pack is closing in! Quickly, to the mines! There isn't much time!"
Legendary Milkers, what daredevils they have become in .19....
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: March 07, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »

what do cows hunt? kittens to graze on
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:48:19 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: March 08, 2011, 12:33:40 am »

Nightcreatures, while cool in many respects, seem to lack fingers and toes to hack off, etc. I assume this is due to the body plan used by randomly generated creatures? It doesn't bother anything, certainly, but if I attack an Elf, I get to choose between 3 pages of tempting targets! (or more!) but with Nightcreatures, the list barely lasts a page (and on that note, I wish destroying the eyes actually made things fight more poorly... unless it does already? ).

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: March 08, 2011, 12:58:23 am »

Heh! :D I think you meant to say "haunting moos". Cows with "hunting moos" implies that we have carnivorous predator cows that will ambush things and tear them limb from limb with their fangs. :P

Have you recently reconsidered allowing constructed floors and walls to be engraved, like natural stone? I just don't understand why constructed stone walls/floors and other surfaces should not be engravable. In real life this is possible, as all it takes is a hammer and chisel...

Also, how about changing it so passing by high quality engravings will give dwarves a minor happy thought? Engraving seems to add a lot to value. So one might naturally assume that it would make dwarves happy to be surrounded by masterpiece engravings.

Edit: ninja'd...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:08:47 am by Thundercraft »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: March 08, 2011, 01:00:03 am »

Heh! :D I think you meant to say "haunting moos". Cows with "hunting moos" implies that we have carnivorous predator cows that will ambush things and tear them limb from limb with their fangs. :P

Have you recently reconsidered allowing constructed floors and walls to be engraved, like natural stone? I just don't understand why constructed stone walls/floors and other surfaces should not be engravable. In real life this is possible, as all it takes is a hammer and chisel...

Also, how about changing it so passing by high quality engravings will give dwarves a minor happy thought? Engraving seems to add a lot to value. So one might naturally assume that it would make dwarves happy to be surrounded by masterpiece engravings.

How many times do people have to say to leave suggestions to the suggestions forum? Seriously, this thread is cluttered enough, and Toady won't be responding to them anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: March 08, 2011, 01:03:27 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg994813#msg994813
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: JoshuaFH
Hey, you know how it's possible to engrave floors? Well, what if I don't LIKE whatever material the floor is? As it stands, I can place artificial floors down with other materials, but not artificial engravings ontop of the natural floors! Will this change in the future? I want my entire fortress to adhere to ONE color scheme!

can I engrave those constructed floors in the future?

I always thought of engraving lots of blocks as sort of weird, at least for a large engraving.  You'll probably be allowed to place larger engraved panels later.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:48 am »

I would like to have it in my fort.
</suggestions>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:16 am »

If I remember correctly the issue isn't with doing the engravings on the blocks, it's what to do if the blocks are then re-purposed. Say you disassemble that wall and then use those blocks as part of a bridge? Does the game need to remember that they're engraved blocks and what's on them?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3955 on: March 08, 2011, 11:43:41 am »

How about engraving the current stone slabs? Make a new 'C'onstruction menu building that uses stone slabs or engraved stone slabs and makes a wall with that engraving? So it'd be possible to build a wall with an engraving and even tear down that wall.

One problem is that slabs could be decorated with all kinds of stuff, which might not work to well with normal wall tiles.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: March 08, 2011, 01:17:24 pm »

If I remember correctly the issue isn't with doing the engravings on the blocks, it's what to do if the blocks are then re-purposed. Say you disassemble that wall and then use those blocks as part of a bridge? Does the game need to remember that they're engraved blocks and what's on them?
No.
It isn't very realistic but may be useful simplification (like 1-log-for-everything-including-walls-and-splints)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: March 08, 2011, 06:05:51 pm »

No.
It isn't very realistic but may be useful simplification (like 1-log-for-everything-including-walls-and-splints)
That one-log thing is going away, though.
We're moving away from placeholders and towards having everything make more sense.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:31 pm »

No.
That one-log thing is going away, though.
We're moving away from placeholders and towards having everything make more sense.
That doesn't mean that new simplifications and placeholders won't be introduced as the scope of the project grows. Toady has recently expanded a number of systems, but when the first few trading rewrites happen you can bet they'll be stuffed full of simplifications and placeholders, at least for a while.  The fact that some simplifications are being expanded on should have no bearing on the introduction of new ones.

And yeah, I think I'd be happy with a wall constructed from a block losing its engraving if it was deconstructed.  A single stone or block is an abstraction anyway, so we can say there's quite a bit of refitting, re-cutting and reshaping involved in deconstructing and then reusing the block for something else. Easy enough to say that that process destroys any engravings.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:32 am »

Yes, now I can hunt pandas to extinction. More likely I'll die trying but it will be fun nonetheless.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 342