Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566631 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4020 on: March 14, 2011, 01:24:31 pm »

On the topic of healthcare, what's the plan for Animal Caretakers? Will they eventually Diagnose/Surgery/Set/Suture/Dress injured animals using just the Caretaker skill?

Seems likely, but you may want to green that question so we can get a timeline- I haven't heard one, and I'd like to know. Part of me hopes it'll come with mounts.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: March 14, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »

On the topic of healthcare, what's the plan for Animal Caretakers? Will they eventually Diagnose/Surgery/Set/Suture/Dress injured animals using just the Caretaker skill?

I thought that it will use standard doctor skills
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: March 14, 2011, 01:31:07 pm »

At that point, there won't be much use for a distinct "veterinarian" school of medicine. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason animal healthcare is in limbo is because Toady isn't sure which way to jump on the issue.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: March 14, 2011, 01:32:00 pm »

When animals get revisited, are we going to be able to designate fodder spaces that get filled? Currently you can't just tie up a grazing animal somewhere and expect it to live long. Also, any plans for a way to designate how long chains can be?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:38:12 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: March 14, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: freeformschooler
will the town revamp starting with the next release finally give us elf/dwarf settlements with actual elves & dwarves?

Doing those prior to the dwarf mode army arc releases is the current plan, so that you have something to attack.  So in between the caravan releases and the army-related army arc releases.  If it comes up, it might happen sooner, if it's forced in some way by the trading, but that might not be how it works out.
Hmm is it possible to have at least placeholders for now (shallow caves for dwarves, circles of trees for hippies, etc.)? Or would it not make much sense to do that now?

The game used to have placeholder mountain halls and forest retreats, at least up through 31.03 and maybe later.  I'm not sure why they were taken out, but a second set of placeholders probably isn't practical at this point.

This is from a year ago, but:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Chthonic
Are dwarves with animal care enabled going to be able to splint wardogs' broken legs and so forth, and in general make veterinary care functional?

It's one of those things that is sitting on the put-off pile and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Also, any plans for a way to designate how long chains can be?

The default chains were originally going to be longer, but it takes some technical infrastructure to have them drag across the floor properly, especially if you want the dragging to behave somewhat sensibly.  Ideally you'd be able to lay down lengths of thread to follow back out of a cave and so on, not that it's hard to get out when you have the whole map sitting right there, but maybe it'll become easier to get lost sometimes.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: March 14, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

Thanks, Toady!

They won't be. The schedule, as I understand it,  lists content releases.  Following each of those is a release to fix new bugs from the previous release, then a release where old bugs are fixed. Hence, .22 will fix old hospital and stockpile bugs, .23 will have "Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities", .24 will fix bugs introduced in .23, .25 will fix more old bugs, and .26 will have "Villager/farmer schedules/activities and work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps".
That's not quite it, either, I believe - the 31.20/21 releases were not actually part of the new release schedule like 31.22 will be. So the releases should go, barring any emergency updates, 31.22 bugs (and possibly a few sponsored animals), 32.01 (remember Toady hopes to increment version number here) better town maps and a few sponsored animals, 32.02 bugs, 32.03 schedules, veins, and mines, 32.04 bugs, 32.05 Taverns, hirelings, manors... insert sponsored animals, their kin, potentially the mentioned animal men, and various supplemental new features as appropriate.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: March 14, 2011, 04:07:31 pm »

At that point, there won't be much use for a distinct "veterinarian" school of medicine. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason animal healthcare is in limbo is because Toady isn't sure which way to jump on the issue.

Perhaps it should be merged into the 'Butcher' skill  ;D

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: March 14, 2011, 04:39:42 pm »

Butchery, Surgery, Animal Care, Swordsdwarf... its all cuttin dudes.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: March 14, 2011, 06:48:44 pm »

Maybe animals and humans should be treated identically by the healthcare system.

Cue Urist McHouse getting angry he can't treat his Dwarven patient because the Hospital's only Traction Bench is currently being used to heal a War Elephant.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: March 14, 2011, 10:28:00 pm »

I have a question, partially regarding the problems grazing animals have right now with starving to death so easily

How do Grazing, Hunger, and grass growth work alongside each other?

To be more specific, I can see that the GRAZER:X token allows X hunger to be removed for every unit of grass eaten.
What determines the rate at which hunger increases? Is creature size a factor?
Is a 'unit' of grass simply 1/4 the maximum amount that is growing on a space?

If creature size is a factor in determining rate of hunger, why is there such an enormous difference in how much hunger is removed?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: March 15, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

I have a question, partially regarding the problems grazing animals have right now with starving to death so easily

How do Grazing, Hunger, and grass growth work alongside each other?

To be more specific, I can see that the GRAZER:X token allows X hunger to be removed for every unit of grass eaten.
What determines the rate at which hunger increases? Is creature size a factor?
Is a 'unit' of grass simply 1/4 the maximum amount that is growing on a space?

If creature size is a factor in determining rate of hunger, why is there such an enormous difference in how much hunger is removed?

First, Limegreen, not Green.

Second, one unit of hunger is added every frame, regardless of creature speed.  The average creature gets 1 turn every 10 frames, and one of those turns has to be used moving, so any creature with Grazer:19 or less cannot feed itself. An elephant, which only removes 12 hunger per eating of grass, is on a countdown to starvation the instant that hunger is in place.  I'm told they generally starve within a season regardless of anything you try to do, short of butchering them immediately.

Third, creature size is only a factor in how Toady hand-coded the raws.  I'm assuming hunger coding involves simply iterating a hunger counter for every hunger-tracked creature every frame, and creature size will only have an impact on how much they need to eat at once.  You can manually recode Elephants to eat as little as rabbits if you so chose. 

Fourth, creature size is such an enormous difference because the creatures have such enormous differences in size.  Toady clearly simply started with 60,000,000 and divided by creature size to find the grazer value.  No other factors of creature metabolism or attributes or individual animal size difference compared to the average of the species or even the age category are as yet implemented (although Toady's recent response implies that is coming), so this is purely a function of size alone, and you're comparing a 5-metric-ton elephant to a .5-kilogram rabbit.  Hence, rabbits eat 1/10,000 as much food as an elephant.  (Only technically not, since a rabbit would starve before it got to 120,000 hunger, anyway.  This intermediate-stage hunger thing lacks sanity checking.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: March 15, 2011, 02:43:56 pm »

First, Limegreen, not Green.
Lime's brighter.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: March 15, 2011, 04:34:15 pm »

Chartreuse green is best green.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:11 am »

Chartreuse green makes me think of pea soup. .-.

How about teal instead? It's like the bastard cousin of the green family!
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #4034 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:51 am »

The point's to stand out so he can easily find and read the question.

Edit: Plus he specifically asks for lime green.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 342