Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566100 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4395 on: April 10, 2011, 12:35:07 pm »

New city layouts are awesome. Seem to be pretty natural to me. Adding manors and town squares to the mix would make it perfect.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: April 10, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »

Well, if we assume that DF is modeling the Bad Old Days of Feudalism, then clustering around the keep makes sense- the ability to quickly get inside the keep to safety is much more important than shaving an hour or two off of your walk to work every morning. If goblins and neighboring warlords are showing up to burn things to the ground every few seasons, or even every year or so, then all the buildings will be clustered close to the protection of the castle and its associated military. In short, if you don't feel safe you won't stray far from the keep.

This could make sense as the nucleus for cities (down at the village level), but once they get higher in population then the extra military they can support and the walls they can pay for means that other considerations should start factoring into where people build their houses. Citizens of well established and protected cities should feel safe, and therefore value the advantages of a short commute and prestigious location over personal safety. And once individual citizens start wielding significant wealth they should have the ability to maintain personal guards and private fortifications, and accordingly feel even less restricted in where they put their houses (or by this point, manors)

All that said, I'm willing to bet that part of the reason that they all cluster around the keep is because that is the only interesting thing in the city. I'll wager that as future buildings go in over the next series of releases, each one will affect city generation in some way. Some more respect should be paid to geography at this point (rivers, hills and such) but I think this next release will have only the bare bones of city generation in- more of a work in progress throughout the caravan arc.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: April 10, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »

New city layouts are awesome. Seem to be pretty natural to me. Adding manors and town squares to the mix would make it perfect.

Indeed. DF is a Fantasy World Simulator, not a Medieval Cities Generator.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: April 10, 2011, 03:31:56 pm »

A fantasy world with medieval cities that need some sort of generation to be there...

You can't say you're unappreciative of the new cities, now can you?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: April 10, 2011, 04:57:16 pm »

Well, if we assume that DF is modeling the Bad Old Days of Feudalism, then clustering around the keep makes sense- the ability to quickly get inside the keep to safety is much more important than shaving an hour or two off of your walk to work every morning. If goblins and neighboring warlords are showing up to burn things to the ground every few seasons, or even every year or so, then all the buildings will be clustered close to the protection of the castle and its associated military. In short, if you don't feel safe you won't stray far from the keep.

But there will be places where they will be safe. Far from the borders, where every (semi)megabeast 5 days from there has been slain.

Actually, if we're looking at a generator that works with only population, roads and landscape as input, it can be a good placeholder if we get rid of these extra roads. So, first time you enter a city, we might just generate the city based on population and important buildings, in a single take.

But later on, if the generator is able to take as input a preexisting city (and I suppose it will) we can take the list of events related to this city and say :
  • creation of the village, population 45
  • nothing relevant for 10 years
  • migrants come in from a town destroyed by a megabeast : generate 10 years of population growth and place resulting fields and houses accordingly using already existent generator; in a second step, add the migrants and place their homes (possibly in another cluster of buildings if Toady adds in suspicions and/or racism)
  • a fire occurs 2 years later : generate 2 years of development then place origin of fire and make it destroy some buildings
  • another human kingdom takes the city after 4 years : generate 4 years of growth and then switch building style to the one of the new civilization.
  • etc
  • player come in the city : generate the last 17 peaceful years and prepare for the carnage

On the bad side, city generation will take longer. On the good side, cities will look definitely more organic, they will have remnants of their pasts, we can throw in features quite easily (just change how each event is interpreted) and it can be used after the first city generation, when you come back in a town you had visited 20 years earlier.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: April 10, 2011, 07:27:35 pm »

A fantasy world with medieval cities that need some sort of generation to be there...

I'm very happy with the new cities. They don't need to be perfect examples of real medieval cities to fulfil their purpose.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: April 10, 2011, 10:01:07 pm »

I'm very happy with the new cities. They don't need to be perfect examples of real medieval cities to fulfil their purpose.

In fact, there probably only so much realism that Toady can cram into them at this point.  There may be some things that should wait until later on to fix certain qualities of the town.  In truth, there are probably things Toady can or already have added that will make it harder for him to expand it later on.

So yeah, I imagine almost everyone here will understand if the towns aren't perfect, yet. At the same time though discussion is always good.

On that note, I kind of like the way the one town forms farm land on one side of the river. It actually resembles the town I live in as well as a couple nearby towns.  They look more or less like that. The farms around here tend to be on the east side of the river with the cluster of the town being on the west. Though as Kohaku points out there are more interesting clusters that form than that. The town I live in actually has a cluster in the center of town on the east half, because it used to be a ferry town and the town formed a cluster on each side of the river near the ferry.  There's also a third cluster on the south eastern area, because of where the coal mines are. As a plus, the town also used the river to ship the coal down river to the nearest big city in the north.

You also have nearby towns that had either purely mining based or purely farming based that have unique looks. The town I live in has the biggest cluster of house thanks to the location of the old ferry, whereas the rest tend to be more spread out. Some of the mining towns also used to be bigger, but lots of them shrunk after the mines were used up or abandoned. I wonder if we will see something similar happen in DF.

Thinking about this stuff actually makes me wonder how much of this DF will someday emulate.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: April 10, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »

In fact, there probably only so much realism that Toady can cram into them at this point.  There may be some things that should wait until later on to fix certain qualities of the town.  In truth, there are probably things Toady can or already have added that will make it harder for him to expand it later on.

On the contrary, you wind up saving more time just taking the time to do things properly the first time than doing things half-way, and having to come back again later.  Toady's pretty clearly nothing if not ambitious, and just a look over the old "Power Goals" lets you have a real idea of how much of a simulated fantasy life Toady really wants in his world.

He wants sewers that thieves can skulk through, with caves with glowing moss, and dynamic quests to steal the duke's ring or have kings thrown into exile rather than outright executed.

In order to be the sorts of places that would make for an exciting adventure inside the city, the city needs to actually have some sort of modeling to make it more than just a handful of random peasants who mysteriously got their skill levels by staring at the walls.

Toady is obviously still working on it, and has said he wants to throw in other features, like larger and smaller buildings, markets, and the like. 

It's much easier to build the system when you have a better idea of what you want it to do later on.  It's much harder and much messier to have to break apart old code to try to expand it in ways it was never built to be expanded.  Building in access points for future expansion, even if those parts are dummied-out, allows you to easily expand the code.

It's what Toady did quite a bit of in the jump to .31.01, in fact.  Much of the materials code was extra data that wasn't quite used, but which was added in, anyway, just so he wouldn't have to break the raws again to add it in later.  Musicality is an obvious attribute with no use, but Toady threw it in there because he expected he would one day have a use for it.

Talking about ways in which the cities can be improved and expanded has plenty of practical purpose, even if Toady doesn't actually do all these things right now - it can give him the idea of what he wants to do in the future, and what sorts of concepts he has to build his system to cater to in the future.

A "Medieval Cities Generator" where the town is built looking like a real medieval town only sounds like a superficial detail if you're looking at maps.  If you're actually building the simulation, and standing in the streets, looking at how people go about their day, then the physical layout of a town is just a single portion of the overall mindset of the townperson. 

In order to make a town seem real, and really simulate a fantasy world, the actions that the townspeople take need to have some sort of observable logic behind them. 

If, as Monk12 points out, they are all clustered around the keep for protection, then that implies a town that is frightful, and may be more wary of strangers - just because the new so-called "adventurer" in town is human doesn't mean he's not with the goblins - they kidnap kids and train 'em to betray their race, you know.  I hear the goblins are gettin' ready to mount another siege, we best hide another stash inside the walls, so we have something there when we have to run for the castle.

A city built around a harbor or major trade crossroads, however, would imply an open trade city with a more cosmopolitan outlook on life.  As long as they have coin, they're welcome to the city's best shops and houses, built right up on "The Strip" of the caravan roads and the area near the markets.  If they run out, they'll meet the city's worst, in the back alleys far from the major roads, far from where the city guard dare tread.

The architecture and layout of a town says a lot about their values, and you can carry those implications over into the ways in which the game interacts with the player, as well.

Earlier on, hermes mentioned that the layout of the rural village was based much more on the quality of the soil that much else - and that's something that wouldn't actually be hard to model.  The game can tell fairly easily how good or poor the soil is - that gets made and is tracked first off when a world is generated.  Arid lands with sandy soil get more dispersed layouts, while river valley villages are clustered, while deforestation built-along-the-road villages are the type which are built along one long road, with farms fanning out behind the buildings.

It wouldn't even be a terrible stretch, compared to what Toady has already had to do to get this far, to have a few different patterns for building towns, and it would help tell different stories about the people who have adapted to different conditions.  That would help avoid the sort of Daggerfall problem of having tons of procedurally generated towns, but where every town looked and felt the same.

And that is, ultimately, the thing that can really kill the excitement about cities - if every town is exactly the same, it doesn't matter what crazy stuff is in them, they're still going to be fairly boring after the first 15 minutes it takes to see all the things inside them.  Toady isn't going to stay content with just those orange rectangle homes with nothing in them, but wouldn't that be an incredible letdown if that was all we got? 

So let's encourage him to consider the ways in which physical layouts of towns can have an impact upon the social topography of the game, as well as just the physical top-down views.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thermite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: April 10, 2011, 11:44:44 pm »

On a different topic than the new awesome cities...
Are we going to have things made from water soluble materials like rock salt and saltpeter degrade and dissolve in the future? Perhaps at a minimum prevent these materials from being used for certain purposes such as making pots which will be exposed to liquids.

As things stand in my fort I have a lot of rock salt pots that hold alcohol for my dwarves. Somehow they don't seem to notice any salt in their dwarven wine. I can imagine a rock salt statue left in the rain degrading and eventually dissolving and the use of a rock salt floodgate causing fun eventually (or perhaps an intentional flooding delay). I also think that any water that comes into contact with rock salt should become salt water.

I feel that there could be other uses for these materials that would offset their inability to be used for certain things such as using salt for cooking or salt glazes and using saltpeter for fertilizer.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:09 am »

Some thoughts on required stuffs for a working city:

-Square (at least one)
 -public official stuff and social gatherings.
 -markets (produce from surrounding farmers/fisheries etc,
 -a place to locate/cluster public buildings on. (religious, administrative, economic, possibly social like bathhouses)
 -statues :)
-fresh water sources. wadeable section/stairs in open water inside city, wells, fountains.
- military buildings like barracks, guardhouses, armouries, etc will likely be located either at outshkirts, near gates, or in a central fortified position within the city.
- industry and trade.
 - packhouses, grannaries, storage.
 - inns
 - shops and workshops
-guildhouses will probably take care of education/science.

-Shops usually have the owner living above them.
-Plantation owners/landlords commonly build hovels for their 'employees' near the fields. Plantation owners often build walled manors near their holdings as well.

(I realise much -and more- is already planned and for later dev-cycles at that, so don't bother mentioning that.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:32:27 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: April 11, 2011, 07:33:08 am »

Some thoughts on required stuffs for a working city:

-Square (at least one)
 -public official stuff and social gatherings.
 -markets (produce from surrounding farmers/fisheries etc,
 -a place to locate/cluster public buildings on. (religious, administrative, economic, possibly social like bathhouses)
 -statues :)
-fresh water sources. wadeable section/stairs in open water inside city, wells, fountains.
- military buildings like barracks, guardhouses, armouries, etc will likely be located either at outshkirts, near gates, or in a central fortified position within the city.
- industry and trade.
 - packhouses, grannaries, storage.
 - inns
 - shops and workshops
-guildhouses will probably take care of education/science.

-Shops usually have the owner living above them.
-Plantation owners commonly build hovels for their 'employees' near the fields. Plantation owners often build walled manors near their holdings as well.

(I realise much -and more- is already planned and for later dev-cycles at that, so don't bother mentioning that.)

You reminded me my old thread on urban architecture.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6048.msg75565#msg75565
(beware it's 2008)

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: April 11, 2011, 07:54:46 am »

I saw the city on one side of a river, and just thought the other side must be marshland or otherwise unsuitable for building, or conversly too valuable for farming.  If the underlying landscape has an impact on the city layouts, then this type of plan may well result.

In my limited understanding of the history of London, it started off on the north bank, with Southwark, a seperate town, on the south, located on the best route south across the river.  It was only later in the cities history that it became more integrated.  Perhaps due to the size of the river compared to other examples.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: April 11, 2011, 08:41:06 am »

Wasn't Paris founded on a small island in the middle of the Seine? ...was this at a ford?

@Xombie: Good thread.  :)
I forgot about graveyards. for zombies and smelly adventures. (sewers not so much)
definately need those early-ish, like >3houses. size should follow number of deaths in history of settlement. (or just pop-size, but that would be off)

sewers would probably only appear in the largest metropoli of large/rich empires.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:47:04 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:26 am »

in terms of clustering around castles for defence. In europe, given the constant flux and general lawlessness of european society most towns, even thoses far from borders (e.g. Warwick) had significant fortifications. Fortifications were also a sign of wealth.

imo the extensiveness of defensives should be in part a product of wealth, and in part the number of attacks a settlement recieves. Perhaps poor (if their wealth is modelled) cities should start of with just a very low wall, or even a wooden wall. After each time the city is attacked the game could check city wealth, if it is high enough the walls could be upgraded, or even expanded in area coverage. Additionally if the city gets a ruler that has defence as one of his/her goals, or views big walls as a stature statement they could be upgraded (wealth providing).

Id also like to see some rudamentry sewer system going in sooner rather than later, simply because sewers are fun. Also sewer outflows into the river system, or somewhere outside the city walls for an alternative entrance/exit (hmmm miasma).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07:20 am »

On a different topic than the new awesome cities...
Are we going to have things made from water soluble materials like rock salt and saltpeter degrade and dissolve in the future? Perhaps at a minimum prevent these materials from being used for certain purposes such as making pots which will be exposed to liquids.

I would love to see this, along with non-magma safe stone (both natural and contructed stuff) to melt when in contact with magma.  This last part could be especially interesting when paired with 3d ore veins of non-magma safe ore.  Horizontal lava-tubes, anyone?   8)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 342