Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566722 times)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4755 on: April 29, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »

So I again asked a question that was practically already answered? :/
This thread is only for people who read every single word ever written by Toady...
I don't need a signature.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: April 29, 2011, 04:05:59 pm »

I think people getting periodically slaughtered by zombies and never learning their lesson sounds quintessentially Dwarf Fortress-esque.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: April 29, 2011, 04:07:12 pm »

So I again asked a question that was practically already answered? :/
This thread is only for people who read every single word ever written by Toady...

Stop making stupid questions and you will be fine. The first one was fine, but the second... If I were developing a game I would stop answering questions at all.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:09:57 pm by thvaz »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: April 29, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »

Stop making stupid questions and you will be fine. The first one was fine, but the second... If I were developing a game I would stop answering questions at all.
Eight days without a proper devlog. I need my fix!

All these people pressuring him to keep putting things out... If I were making the game, I would stop devlogging at all.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: April 29, 2011, 05:32:55 pm »

All these people pressuring him to keep putting things out... If I were making the game, I would stop devlogging at all.

I think the "I need my fix" imply a little joke. But I think a guy dedicated to write little books no one bothers to read every day on this forum wouldn't get any joke.

I think you should stop replying every single remark I make. You can see I don't have problems only with you, so it's not personal. You obviously have something personal against me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:35:51 pm by thvaz »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: April 29, 2011, 05:37:31 pm »

GASP!   No!  I mean, then I would have nothing to check after work every day to wind down!  The devlog and the forums are very stress relieving. 

That and naming a dwarf after your supervisor/most annoying employee and trowing them off a really tall tower and watching them blow into components.  HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT DON!  YOUR UPPER LEG IS IN A TREE!  HUH DON?  HUH?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: April 29, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »

I've got to say, it must be a little dispiriting to be putting these neat things in the game - cities, adventurer skills, the restless dead - and then just have everybody complain about them in the dev thread.

I'm just glad that the next version of df will have more cool stuff, so it will be better than the last version. Should I really be quibbling that it could be 67% better, and more 'realistic' according of my own ideas of realism, instead of 66% better?

Just asking you guys to keep that in mind.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4762 on: April 29, 2011, 05:58:36 pm »

...The devlog and the forums are very stress relieving. 

That and naming a dwarf after your supervisor/most annoying employee and trowing them off a really tall tower and watching them blow into components.  HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT DON!  YOUR UPPER LEG IS IN A TREE!  HUH DON?  HUH?

Indeed. I quite agree. The... forums, yes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: April 29, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »

I've got to say, it must be a little dispiriting to be putting these neat things in the game - cities, adventurer skills, the restless dead - and then just have everybody complain about them in the dev thread.

"Everybody" in the last time were just two or three. A very vocal minority, though.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

Discussion and critique are different than complaints. The discussion on city layouts was very enlightening and thoughtful, and contained no hostility. The "complaints" are nowhere to be found.

Without critique, systems couldn't improve, and we all want the game to be awesome, totally and completely. That's why discussions about the mechanics happen, not to say the current system is bad, just that there is room for improvement.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: April 29, 2011, 08:47:54 pm »

I personally like the critiques. In true Dwarf Fortress form Toady makes an exciting new change and the people of the forum begin discussing such topics as 13th century city development, common agricultural practices of the time, or traditional road structures. Does all of this discussion need to correlate to some in game feature? No! But is the research and discussion helpful? I imagine so.

And even if none of it is helpful, I do learn a lot of random facts that I never would have known otherwise.

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: April 30, 2011, 03:21:28 am »

Without critique, systems couldn't improve, and we all want the game to be awesome, totally and completely. That's why discussions about the mechanics happen, not to say the current system is bad, just that there is room for improvement.
Criticizing a developer makes him correct and improve his programs, but it does not make him want to work more, praise is necessary as well, even if useless. That said I in no way treat Toady like such a simpleminded creature, I couldn't imagine working on one thing for so long(I usually get bored with writing a game/program after around 3-4 days) :p

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: April 30, 2011, 05:34:35 am »

Well, nobody has said "wow, these cities look like shit, I would do so much better and le me explain how !".
However, there has been a lot "these early cities look AWESOME, I hope the finished ones will have such and such".

The only reason why there has been so little praises is because they haven't been released yet so we can't judge just how awesome they are.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: April 30, 2011, 09:15:45 am »

There's also that little thing that the thing it seems most folks don't like about the cities seems to just be because Toady showed us an overview of an entire worldmap tile.  In game we are never going to see the city quite like that, unless we managed to do a 16x16 embark on top of it, which is impossible in vanilla in more ways than one.  If Toady never would have released a full city map folks probably would have never noticed.  And hell, some would likely endlessly speculate about the particulars of how these cities get designed.

The city seems like it would look fairly natural when viewed from adventure mode.  Those roads in the rural parts of the city?  I would have probably thought of them as access roads between fields.  at 1 px per tile they don't look like they are very wide.  And they are probably just dirt roads instead of stone.  You have to get your cart to the other end of the tomato field somehow after all.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: April 30, 2011, 10:17:16 am »

Did somebody already suggest that roads will be of different type depending on their location? (high-class stone for main roads and richer parts of city, normal stone for the rest, dirt for outskirts, etc.)

If not then somebody write it in green for me(I don't want to risk asking already answered questions again :<)
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 342