Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566109 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4830 on: May 02, 2011, 12:36:36 am »

A) Arn't interested in small villages
or
B) Actually would create a "No civ" zone

A is already the case.  Titans don't attack until a certain level of civilization has been reached.

B SHOULD be the case, as nobody would live near an active megabeast cave.

The thing is I believe that once city rot is introduced, the cities that are destroyed by megabeast attacks should slowly but surely turn to dust and eventually disappear off the map.

Or at least, that's what SHOULD happen.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: May 02, 2011, 05:28:27 am »

...The devlog and the forums are very stress relieving. 

That and naming a dwarf after your supervisor/most annoying employee and trowing them off a really tall tower and watching them blow into components.  HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT DON!  YOUR UPPER LEG IS IN A TREE!  HUH DON?  HUH?
Indeed. I quite agree. The... forums, yes.

Why, Yes. As in "http://www.bay12forums.com".

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: May 02, 2011, 05:47:44 am »

B SHOULD be the case, as nobody would live near an active megabeast cave.
Except for a certain group of seven dwarves that is.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34:38 am »

Quote from: Threetoe
You will not be safe in either adventure or dwarf mode as you are beset by vampires, werewolves and vengeful ghosts.  Entire armies of walking corpses will besiege you, led by undead phantoms.
whaaaaaaaaa? I sincerely hope this means what I think it means.

Does anyone know whether toady has mentioned whether we will be able to become vampires or werewolves ? I've seen it being mentioned in this thread before.. maybe Toady took our enthusiasm into consideration then.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:20 am »

Quote from: Threetoe
You will not be safe in either adventure or dwarf mode as you are beset by vampires, werewolves and vengeful ghosts.  Entire armies of walking corpses will besiege you, led by undead phantoms.
whaaaaaaaaa? I sincerely hope this means what I think it means.

Does anyone know whether toady has mentioned whether we will be able to become vampires or werewolves ? I've seen it being mentioned in this thread before.. maybe Toady took our enthusiasm into consideration then.

I've heard -or read- him recently state that the undead syndromes are contageous.

edit: Ah, it was brother sloth. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:07:48 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: May 02, 2011, 09:27:35 am »

Quote from: ThreeToe
Vampires, were-beasts and armies of the living dead will terrorize adventurers and fortresses alike. These creatures can pass on their curse, condemning their victims to a half-life of suffering and dread.
I wonder, will this be an actual gameplay mechanic, or another worldgen-only feature?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:30:19 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: May 02, 2011, 09:40:22 am »

And, importantly, will you be able to make your people flee into a fort and lock the doors?
Wait it out till morn, mayhaps.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: May 02, 2011, 09:46:50 am »

In Adventure Mode, will we be able to control the equipment of companions and maybe even spar with them to improve skills?

I answered your equipment question last week:

I can't see anything about this on the dev page, but is it gonna be possible to eventually control the equipment of your companions in Adventure Mode?  I want to be able to assemble my own mercenary band and train them up in different formations and tactics like Mount and Blade.

Quote from: FuzzyDoom
Will there be a way to give items to our companions? And perhaps an easier way to equip weapons? (Just had to wiki it.)

We have to get to companion equipment sooner than later, since it can be very frustrating to either lose a weapon or just have lots of excess armor that shouldn't be excess.  It isn't in for 0.31.17 though.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: May 02, 2011, 12:38:38 pm »

Simple questions: are there plans for PCs be infect-able by night creatures in upcoming versions?  If so, will there be a way for PCs to cure themselves, and upon succumbing will infected PCs remain under player control, or will the transformation be considered equivalent to death, converting the PC to a (potentially brutal) NPC for a later adventurer to eliminate?
I also really want to know this!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: May 02, 2011, 01:24:47 pm »

Except for a certain group of seven dwarves that is.

Okay, nobody that isn't completely insane would live near an active megabeast cave.

Better? I think so.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: May 02, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »

Quote from: ThreeToe
Vampires, were-beasts and armies of the living dead will terrorize adventurers and fortresses alike. These creatures can pass on their curse, condemning their victims to a half-life of suffering and dread.
I wonder, will this be an actual gameplay mechanic, or another worldgen-only feature?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it started out using the night creature code that is already in place. So individuals disappear and are either eaten or become undead creatures, and you have to hunt down the one who took them.

Undead armies sieging your fortress dwarves, the werewolves breaking down the doors and the vampires swooping down to instantly turn your dwarves into thralls, would be so cool though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:05 pm »

Imagine a Vampire army.

Vampires can be sustained as long as they don't constantly spread their disease (and if other sources of blood is acceptible)

Though how much blood a vampire needs often changes.

Or even a Night Creature army whos cities and castles only exist at night.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: May 02, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »

Those underground areas honestly reminded me most of those old maps of 2d forts... but for the stairs symbols all over the place. 

I wonder how much protection the common villager has against these things?  I mean, if your root cellar just has an open hallway leading into the catacombs, where vampires are coming up to feast on human blood... what, exactly is stopping them from rampaging out through your house, and then on to the streets? 

Those maps look very easy to get lost in... we're going to need more breadcrumbs.  (Or should I just snap off ratman parts to mark my path?)

Speaking of which, while undead are obviously getting a lot of love, I hope we can see some ratman or sewer alligatorman or something tribes down in the muck, as well. 

Stumbling across a band of friendly molemen down in the lower reaches, before the catacombs give way to the caverns proper would make for a cool staging area for further exploration.

For the most part it isn't that tough for people to survive.

Generation goes WAAAY out of its way to ensure that megabeasts and semimegabeasts live. I mean if a hydra attacked your town would you solo it or get the entire town watch on it? It also goes out of its way to make Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts oddly harmless... Rampages feel more like Sunday Brunch and I would have no problem with less frequent megabeast attacks but with a lot more damage.

A group of 5 soldiers can dogpile and kill megabeasts in adventure mode (disapointingly)

For the most part though as powerful as a creature is, an army is a good deterrant.

If anything I'd like to know how different races could actually, reasonably, die.

I find that elves and humans reliably survive, but goblins tend to get chopped to kibble just because they're at war with everyone else, and dwarves tend to starve to death an awful lot, or have populations low enough that night critters are capable of keeping pace with dwarven reproduction rates.  Kobolds often go extinct, as well. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: May 02, 2011, 05:20:52 pm »

I can't tell sewers apart from catacombs, but I guess they are supposed to be this way. Being lost in a dungeon is exciting !
Also, if you look closely, you'll see that the sewers don't really communicate with anything. There are several stairs leading up, and then things are organized in clusters of reasonable size (unless they connect at a lower level I didn't see).

Honestly, I think it will be manageable.
By the way, can you tell catacombs from dungeons ?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: May 02, 2011, 05:30:39 pm »

I can't tell sewers apart from catacombs, but I guess they are supposed to be this way. Being lost in a dungeon is exciting !
Also, if you look closely, you'll see that the sewers don't really communicate with anything. There are several stairs leading up, and then things are organized in clusters of reasonable size (unless they connect at a lower level I didn't see).

Honestly, I think it will be manageable.
By the way, can you tell catacombs from dungeons ?

Sewers are the water things. They communicate with the river in the only picture where there is a river; apart from that, I think they start off from nowhere because its where the water fall off.

It's hard to tell apart catacombs from dungeons because there is no coffins or chains.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 342