Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566577 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4950 on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:04 pm »

Yeah it would take a feat of super strength to dig yourself out of a coffin.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:30 pm »

In a future release, if world gen events get simulated during normal play, will it occur in real-time or after a game has ended?  I would imagine the latter is more viable at this stage of development, but is having real-time world growth a future goal?
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
Release 5.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: May 06, 2011, 12:28:13 am »

I don't know... even when people did believe in the undead they didn't go through such lengths to destroy bodies.

Especially since depending on the culture a proper burial actually IS the best deterrant for the undead. Plus not all undead are "bad".

Those are the words of someone who hasn't lost 6 dwarves to a zombie plague.

Actually, I think that having crypts that are giant mazes and crammed with traps makes perfect sense in a world where those crypts are filled with mindlessly wandering zombies - the maze keeps them lost, and they'll wander back and forth over the giant serrated blade traps.

When you get right down to it, crypts and the like can only serve two real purposes - A) to give some kind of solace/closure to the living, and B) To keep the dead IN their "final" resting places.

Now then, since we don't need A, because coping with grief is what legendary dining rooms are for, all that matters is B, making sure the dead stay dead.  As such, it is not only rational to invest in booby-trapped and drawbridge-enclosable crypts (and making sure your dead are corporeal), it is actually completely irrational not to ensure that you are prepared for the attack you know will be coming, eventually.

Though I do notice by my own limited observation that in mythologies that don't explain ghosts strongly tend to focus more on the "that is just how things are" in a similar way you wouldn't write an extra page about why the sky is blue.

This is caused by the oxygen-rich atmosphere we have, created by the planet's abundant plantlife, first starting with ancient stromatalites. The--- oh, wait, you DIDN'T want a page on why the sky is blue?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #4953 on: May 06, 2011, 01:38:46 am »

Though I do notice by my own limited observation that in mythologies that don't explain ghosts strongly tend to focus more on the "that is just how things are" in a similar way you wouldn't write an extra page about why the sky is blue.

This is caused by the oxygen-rich atmosphere we have, created by the planet's abundant plantlife, first starting with ancient stromatalites. The--- oh, wait, you DIDN'T want a page on why the sky is blue?

WHAT DON'T YOU KNOW
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: May 06, 2011, 03:45:10 am »

NW_Kohaku is probably a brain in a jar, hooked up to a computer. It's best not to question these things.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: May 06, 2011, 04:51:46 am »

I know there's been some stuff about Goblins eating habits, or lack thereof, but what about Kobolds?
Are they scavangers eating the rotting corpses and bones of the dead (bone marrow helps bring out a healthy, shiny coat after all) or will they be more into their plump helmets and wild berries?

As for the undead thing, this seems like guaranteed fun. Especially if you have a particularly bad siege involving a demon lord (will demons come back from the dead too - that'd be scary) and are in a race to stuff as many corpses as you can into coffins and then sealing the tomb areas.

I'm looking forward to actually seeing these temples in adventure mode as I only started playing adventure mode in the last few versions and seem to only find abandonded castles filled with local wildlife (my guy got kicked to death by a horse after killing 3 bandit leaders) and not much else. It'll be nice to have temple, sewers and catacombes to explore.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: May 06, 2011, 05:59:18 am »

As for the undead thing, this seems like guaranteed fun. Especially if you have a particularly bad siege involving a demon lord (will demons come back from the dead too - that'd be scary) and are in a race to stuff as many corpses as you can into coffins and then sealing the tomb areas.

Actually, that makes me wonder if there will be tags to prevent certain types of creatures from getting certain kinds of curses. If I mod in angelic beings, I'm not sure if they should become holy zombie angels. (No, wait, they definitely should; pretend I came up with a better example.)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: May 06, 2011, 07:08:39 am »

Could we get some more detail about effects of curses on bodies?
Which of these will be possible and available for custom/procedural curses:
-Changing materials of bodies(replace bones with rotten bones, skin with wood, etc.)
-Adding new limbs/organs(horns growing out of head) and what happens if a creature does not have what is needed(eg.: no back for curse that adds wings)
-Removing limbs/organs and what happens when they are not there(or never were, for that matter)
(I already asked that, but)-Regeneration of all or some of body parts
-Levels of progress(eg.: victim first grows horns, then hooves and a tail and finally gets wings and steel skin)
-Mixing different curses and resolving conflicts.

Also, what about effects on personality traits/physical properties?
I don't need a signature.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: May 06, 2011, 07:22:47 am »

With all this talk of adding more and more undead it makes me wonder if Toady has gotta around to fixing up the way they're handled with combat and the issues that arise from that.

It does make me wonder how you can handle having undead without any hitpoints in a way that's neither too weak or over powered. Guess the undead just aren't very realistic when you come down to it...

With that out of the way adeventure mode is starting to look like a game! I can't wait to tred through those sewers, killing monsters and gathering loot.
Can't wait 'till we get the issues with coins and other items not stacking. When that's out of the way it will be like a true roguelike!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28:45 am »

Actually, that makes me wonder if there will be tags to prevent certain types of creatures from getting certain kinds of curses. If I mod in angelic beings, I'm not sure if they should become holy zombie angels. (No, wait, they definitely should; pretend I came up with a better example.)
Well, there's already a CANNOT_UNDEAD tag, so I imagine if there are interaction/curse classes (a la creature classes and "reaction (material)" classes), that tag could be generalized into a new tag (NO_CURSE:UNDEAD perhaps).

Could we get some more detail about effects of curses on bodies?
We're only at the start of curse development. I'm certain Toady wants to do all of the  above and work out multi-cursed creatures as well, but chances are that he can't promise what details will be in definitely until he codes some more - and he may very well post what curses can do (and whether these things are creature effects that work in syndromes as well) on the dev log as the implementations come in (as he did with syndrome effects), long before he posts another "wall of answers".
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: May 06, 2011, 08:28:54 am »

I don't know... even when people did believe in the undead they didn't go through such lengths to destroy bodies.

Especially since depending on the culture a proper burial actually IS the best deterrant for the undead. Plus not all undead are "bad".

Those are the words of someone who hasn't lost 6 dwarves to a zombie plague.

Actually, I think that having crypts that are giant mazes and crammed with traps makes perfect sense in a world where those crypts are filled with mindlessly wandering zombies - the maze keeps them lost, and they'll wander back and forth over the giant serrated blade traps.

When you get right down to it, crypts and the like can only serve two real purposes - A) to give some kind of solace/closure to the living, and B) To keep the dead IN their "final" resting places.

Now then, since we don't need A, because coping with grief is what legendary dining rooms are for, all that matters is B, making sure the dead stay dead.  As such, it is not only rational to invest in booby-trapped and drawbridge-enclosable crypts (and making sure your dead are corporeal), it is actually completely irrational not to ensure that you are prepared for the attack you know will be coming, eventually.

I think Legion has broke out of Mass Effect....

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: May 06, 2011, 09:05:58 am »

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: May 06, 2011, 09:44:28 am »

I doubt there's going to be a 100% safe burial method for your dwarves, but being respectful will almost always be the better choice (although being respectful and also placing the coffin in a sheer pit might be the best choice in certain areas).

I think this could be a really bad idea. It's going to result in magma-frying the dead asap to prevent their zombification...

If there's no 100% safe burial method, magma-frying will present problems too. Probably ghosts.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:41 am »

I cant wait for curses they are going to be sooo usefull for modding. When is it going to be ready

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: May 06, 2011, 09:56:04 am »

I doubt there's going to be a 100% safe burial method for your dwarves, but being respectful will almost always be the better choice (although being respectful and also placing the coffin in a sheer pit might be the best choice in certain areas).

I think this could be a really bad idea. It's going to result in magma-frying the dead asap to prevent their zombification...

If there's no 100% safe burial method, magma-frying will present problems too. Probably ghosts.

*shudder* stuff like the old "Spirits of fire" would be interesting.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 342