Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566656 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #5055 on: May 09, 2011, 05:30:30 pm »

On that note, I'd love if dwarf fortress could naturally create "underworlds" where vampire and werewolf civilizations battle it out after having successfully taken over separate pieces of what was once humanity.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: May 09, 2011, 06:33:50 pm »

These issues will be solved at some point, won't they?
Well if they're issues, they're likely bound to be solved at some point.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: May 09, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »

I don't know which creeped me out most - an arcane tower built by a mad king's zombie armies, or ThreeToe wishing me  happy mother's day!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: May 09, 2011, 07:19:23 pm »

I must say that I am concerned that there are still enormous issues with the nobility and the military, even a year after DF2010's release. These issues will be solved at some point, won't they?

Dwarf Fortress is a work in progress. Many bugs are in fact placeholder features which will be finished properly in the future, and others are in fact constantly being fixed. Recently we had more than five releases with mostly bugfixes.

Currently the development includes a feature release (new stuff)  followed by a release fixing the bugs brought by the new features, followed by a release (or more) fixing old bugs. The next release will be a feature release, so you should expect new bugs with it (which will be fixed shortly after, as with the last cycle of releases).

By the way, the last cycle of bugfixing saw next to 150 issues fixed in about a month and a half.

Then that is good. I was just concerned that it appeared as though we were adding more content than we were fixing, but I have misjudged the situation.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: May 09, 2011, 09:15:51 pm »

I am loving the daily Dev Log updates just for the fact we're getting daily Dev Log updates.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: May 09, 2011, 09:22:51 pm »

Will adventures be able to learn these new "secrets"?(really want to play as a necromancer)
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: May 09, 2011, 09:47:47 pm »

Will adventures be able to learn these new "secrets"?(really want to play as a necromancer)
I can't speak for Toady and ThreeToe, but they want adventurers to be interactionable, and secrets are really just a special type of syndrome; it sounds like low hanging fruit, and the engraved secret slabs seem like a step towards it.

Is the raw implementation of necromancy a special case, or do we have an arbitrary interaction-effecting tag for creatures/syndromes? On that note, I take it that interactions have a fairly flexible raw framework themselves?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:02 pm »

Are 'secrets' the start of a spell type system?? Man, spells would be pretty cool in a system where ancient secrets are passed down and eventually obtainable by the adventurer. I could see necromancy as a player 'secret' split into a couple things. Proficency with the secret learned and parts of the secret you know.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: May 09, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »

Okay, things now starting to go from Awesome to Beyond Awesome. Wish we would also get ability to willing-fully conduct Dwarven Science in fortress mode, which could result in unexpected and apocalyptic results.
"- Urist, are you sure we should follow instructions on this ancient engraving? It does not mention outcome, and there was that big crater nearby...
- Sure we should. What possibly could go wrong?"

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:08 am »

If secrets are transferred by an artifact slab, is the ownership of the slab required to use the secret?

I'm basically asking, say if Baron Von Deadraiser finds a slab with the secret of necromancy on it and later it is stolen by Ben the Kobold. Will Baron Von Deadraiser still be able to use the secret or will he have to file paperwork for a new name?
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: May 10, 2011, 01:56:07 am »

Will possessed dwarfs have a chance to inscribe secrets on slabs instead of creating an artifact? Or maybe inscribe secrets whispered by the demon on the artifact itself? Also: will secrets be found only on slabs (and later, books) or will it be possible to find a secret on a sword blade, like a power word to make this sword ignite?

I'd like me some undead-raising-secret inscribed artifact bed. Raise skeletal armies from the comfort of your bedroom.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: May 10, 2011, 02:16:10 am »

I'd like me some undead-raising-secret inscribed artifact bed. Raise skeletal armies from the comfort of your bedroom.

A bed would be impractical, as rarely there are corpses over them. An artifact coffin, however...

Gods aren't active yet. Will demons and megabeasts with the death sphere be able to raise the undead? Will the undead megabeasts (Zombie Dragons for example) appear from the beggining or be raised after being killed?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: May 10, 2011, 02:29:24 am »

A bed would be impractical, as rarely there are corpses over them. An artifact coffin, however...

impractical until we have travelers' inns, then you'll have an endless supply of body walking in waiting for the soul removal process.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:44 am »

From a bug report of yesteryear...

I also had a zombie hydra defending the kobolds that killed it.
Kobold necromancers.

This is not a bug, it's a feature.  An awesome feature.
As much as I'd like undead megabeasts to come back and lead kobold armies, it's a bug.

Not anymore it's not!  This day was long in coming, but I knew it would come eventually.  Oh man, this is so cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:12 am »

Whoah. The possibilities. If I thought bloodlines could be easy to fake with curses, secrets could make them even easier if they can be passed on to descendants easily. Just make sure they're not engravable and not researchable, and make the secret-holder not be an anti-social tower dweller (I'm assuming that behavior is also raw-settable).

If the gods might give secrets to our adventurers, Hero of Time stuff too (without the time travel, of course).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 342