Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678096 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »

They're really promising the world galaxy, there.  I'm not even hype, but I do have some hope.  It's Paradox after all, maybe they can deliver some of this.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2015, 06:43:46 pm »

And why every game in space has ship design  :'(

Um, because it's great?

Anyways, that article actually makes me really hopeful for the game. It makes it sound like the space strategy i've always wanted! I can't wait.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2015, 06:54:35 pm »

The real question is why not every 4x has unit design.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2015, 07:29:41 pm »

The real question is why not every 4x has unit design.
Because no one care what warrior have at first. Warrior have club? Club good. Until bow beats club. Then, archer good. Until next step up.

Spaceship have guns? What kind of guns, and do they look fancy or do they look practical? Is this a scifi ship or a mil-scifi ship? How big is it? Is its name a running gag or is it not important enough to be named uniquely? And how many of them do you have!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2015, 07:36:35 pm »

Except bows don't always beat clubs unless the game is simplified a lot. I mean unless Firaxis made it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2015, 07:40:33 pm »

Except bows don't always beat clubs unless the game is simplified a lot. I mean unless Firaxis made it.

Against heavy armor, I'd actually much prefer a big-ass club
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2015, 08:18:40 pm »

I have 2 word for you: Agincourt.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2015, 08:25:49 pm »

Looks like only one word, mate.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2015, 08:30:47 pm »

Glorious welsh longbow folded bazillion times by Japanese swordsmiths to create finiest axes known to batkind.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »

You're thinking of Welsh longbows I think.  They're *like* clubs, in that they're... uh... made of wood?
But yeah, it's a strange truth that weapon technology always outpaces armor.  With one notable and hilarious exception I know of, the Monitor vs the Merrimack.  The ironplated ships of the American Civil War.

Glorious welsh longbow folded bazillion times by Japanese swordsmiths to create finiest axes known to batkind.
yes
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2015, 08:53:43 pm »

Hey, that was more utter incompetence against bows. I think clubs or even rocks would have been enough.

Also, the thing about unit design, is that it's just another mechanic for min maxing.
Either it doesn't matter, and in this case, why add it ?
Either it is important, and force you to min-max to get good units (or good counters, but that's often rock-paper-scissor style).
Imo, it just doesn't add anything to a grand strategy game. Most 4x games would be better without it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2015, 09:00:39 pm »

Normand go home
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2015, 09:09:44 pm »

Its also like games designing your characters looks. Why bother doing that in a singleplayer RPG? Why do so many games waste effort on letting someone design their character?

In an MMO maybe yeah.

But like Skyrim? Does changing my height make me stronger/faster/slower or anything? Nope. Its just to waste time and create an illusion of difference.

More RPGs would do far better like in Witcher 3, a pre-made character with more of a focus on leveling/skilling and doing quests and killing monsters. Cause why the heck does it matter how my character looks in a singleplayer game? It doesn't change the game at all.

Its exactly like designing space ships in 4x games, but even more waste of a time because making a character skinny, taller or whatever doesn't even change the game at all lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2015, 09:14:25 pm »

Witcher
Eh, despite being a pretty cool guy all-around, Geralt doesn't have tits.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2015, 09:15:44 pm »

Its also like games designing your characters looks. Why bother doing that in a singleplayer RPG? Why do so many games waste effort on letting someone design their character?

In an MMO maybe yeah.

But like Skyrim? Does changing my height make me stronger/faster/slower or anything? Nope. Its just to waste time and create an illusion of difference.

More RPGs would do far better like in Witcher 3, a pre-made character with more of a focus on leveling/skilling and doing quests and killing monsters. Cause why the heck does it matter how my character looks in a singleplayer game? It doesn't change the game at all.
Well, games in general are "to waste time and create an illusion". Clearly someone enjoys it (maybe they enjoy it enough to pickpocket someone and take their place in the Skyrim focus group meeting)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 632