Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678270 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #345 on: October 12, 2015, 03:14:34 pm »

Still faster than Hivers, who had/have a stargate-like network but had to slowboat at STL speeds if they didn't have a gate at the destination yet (or didn't have enough capacity for all the ships they wanted to send).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 12, 2015, 06:44:14 pm »

Unsurprisingly Wormhole seems to be the community favourite at the moment with most people outlying it's huge offensive potential.

One thing that might be worth noting about Warp is there could be possibility of rushing out-of-the-way anomalies before the other factions can focus their FTL.
Might allow you to advance your civ much quicker which might make Warp's inherent slowness less of a down side

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 12, 2015, 06:48:04 pm »

Don't you mean defensive? Because wormholes seem to require setup, much like Hivers of SOTS. A turtling FTL if you will, it takes time to spread and take hold but once it does the only way to take territory back is to go at it in several systems so it has to split up the fleet.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 12, 2015, 06:58:26 pm »

You have to choose the destination then spin up the wormhole for a while (with the time dependent on the size of the wormhole, and thus the fleet you can send).  So it sucks for reacting to things.
Plus, if your fleet is in a system where you don't have a station, it takes like twice as long:  First you have to open a wormhole to your fleet with your station, then that station has to open up another wormhole to the real destination.

On the other hand, deep-strike fleet with no warning.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:19:44 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 12, 2015, 07:17:11 pm »

Don't you mean defensive? Because wormholes seem to require setup, much like Hivers of SOTS. A turtling FTL if you will, it takes time to spread and take hold but once it does the only way to take territory back is to go at it in several systems so it has to split up the fleet.
Not from what they said. What I got from it is that, unlike SOTS, you don't need a station at the destination. So you could strike deep into enemy territory. The wormwhole is also two-way, but it evaporates as soon as whatever you sent is through so you'd need to be pretty fast to use it in reverse. It's also not as defensive as the Hiver teleport because it apparently has a "warm-up" time and can only target a single destination at a time. And, of course, whatever you sent is going to have some problems retreating if things go bad.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 12, 2015, 07:18:27 pm »

Ah, the way I read it you had to have a station on both ends. That actually does seem like a very sneaky way. Heck, you could probably do multiple deep strikes like that with weaker fleets to tie the enemy up and then just beam in a big one to an open system or something.
AS - IG

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 12, 2015, 07:51:45 pm »

It definitely sounds like it'll lead to a less turtle-fortress game than playing as or against Hivers, if they keep it this way.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 12, 2015, 09:29:42 pm »

I'm wondering if one type of FTL will know much about the other type's fundamental basics. If you use wormholes, would you know just where the various hyperspace lanes connect? Or would you be guessing where they came from (it might be pretty obvious depending on scanning technologies or repeated attacks)?

Will it be worth keeping a couple of "ace-in-the-hole" hyperspace lanes unused until you're ready to hit them (or split their fleets/strike unopposed), so warpers and wormers never actually know that you can strike from that direction in force until it's too late?
It's a game. Have fun.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 12, 2015, 09:58:39 pm »

Well my guess/expectation is that once a race has interacted with another race which uses hyperspace they'll probably figure out a way or two detecting the lanes or even messing with them in some way. Same with the other two techs I guess. It's only natural to want to develop something to counteract an enemy activity or mess with it in some way.
AS - IG

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:42 pm »

Sounds a lot like Star Ruler 2's methods of FTL travel. I'm particularly fond of Gates, which while they decrease your FTL energy generation per Gate made, allow for instantaneous travel between any that are built, and they also cut down on labor costs based on distance, allowing for a slow moving, but ever extending empire that can react at the drop of a hat.

The other options are:
Hyperdrive (cut and dry, one time point to point travel, but relatively cheap and slow in terms of FTL speed, requires a charge time)
Slipstream (tears a temporary hole between two points, like a temporary Gate, but anyone can use it, nearly instant travel and allows for return travel)
Fling Beacons (basically a structure built version of Hyperdrive, but you have to slowboat back if you don't build another in the system you target... it can also throw orbital structures like space stations or other beacons, or even planets)
Skip Drives (an artifact bonus that can later be researched, allows for instant transportation that requires Energy instead of FTL power, only really useful for jumping around inside a system)

From what I'm seeing of this game so far, I think it'll be right up my alley, though.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 12, 2015, 10:18:26 pm »

I'm hoping that the different FTL styles aren't necessarily exclusive.  I assume each empire will focus on one, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to use others.  Particularly once they make contact, maybe even capture an enemy wormhole station.

Gameplay before realism though.  Having a single wormhole station would probably provide most of the benefit of delayed deep-striking.  Though it might have limited range and capacity, without the proper tech and/or racial affinity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 12, 2015, 10:21:43 pm »

Sounds a lot like Star Ruler 2's methods of FTL travel. I'm particularly fond of Gates, which while they decrease your FTL energy generation per Gate made, allow for instantaneous travel between any that are built, and they also cut down on labor costs based on distance, allowing for a slow moving, but ever extending empire that can react at the drop of a hat.

The problem I had with the Gates though is that they're just SOOOO expensive in a game where money pretty much decides your maximum everything.

Fling Beacons (basically a structure built version of Hyperdrive, but you have to slowboat back if you don't build another in the system you target... it can also throw orbital structures like space stations or other beacons, or even planets)

O.O

I did not know about the planetthrow
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:35 am »

Okay after reading through the diary, the warhammer 40k warp fuckery doesnt only apply to warp drives.

The larger your fleet and the more you bend the laws of physics the higher the chance of terrors from beyond.

So the Wormhole Drive might actually have the greatest chance of releasing warp daemons and cthulhu into normal space.

Imagine preparing a massive war fleet tearing a wormhole and your entire fleet gets eaten by daemons before you can even declare war XD

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 13, 2015, 06:08:56 am »

I will name my first science vessel Event Horizon and hope for there to be !!Fun!! unleashed through its actions eventually.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 13, 2015, 06:23:48 am »

I will name my first science vessel Event Horizon and hope for there to be !!Fun!! unleashed through its actions eventually.
Don't send the Event Horizon to some scrub planet like Mars. Instead send it on an improbable mission like an close unexplored star system. I'm sure the scout vessel you send to explore that mysterious transmission coming from deep space will have no issues at all.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 632