Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678129 times)

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #900 on: March 01, 2016, 02:52:03 am »

People care about multiplayer for Paradox games?
Yes. It's awesome.

There's two kinds of CK2 players.

There's the guy who plays it like it's Simcity. Slowly building, ein zwei ein zwei one two one two yes I have finished my building time to slowly build some more.

Then there's the guy who plays it like it's Simcity. As the giant robot that destroys everything.

Surely the first type of guy is going to throw his toys out of the pram when he dies and gets a regency for ihs 0 year old daughter?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 01, 2016, 03:13:38 am »

Yes. It's awesome.

There's the guy who plays it like it's Simcity. Slowly building, ein zwei ein zwei one two one two yes I have finished my building time to slowly build some more.

Then there's the guy who plays it like it's Simcity. As the giant robot that destroys everything.

Surely the first type of guy is going to throw his toys out of the pram when he dies and gets a regency for ihs 0 year old daughter?
Yup. Then they'll go online and complain.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 01, 2016, 03:50:09 am »

Yes. It's awesome.

Indeed. Those that desync and those that desync slightly later.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 01, 2016, 08:14:36 am »

Are you kidding? I only play CK2 and EU4 in multi [2-6 players] in the last 2 years. Roflstomping the AI isn't fun. MP is where the real fun [& challenge] is.

I think I'm going to need hard evidence before believing paradox can into stable multiplayer.
"Most stable yet" doesn't necessarily mean stable. Might just mean "it breaks slightly less often than our other games".

Heh, well yeah, let's wait and see, but they are trying at least.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:28:25 am by gimli »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #904 on: March 01, 2016, 08:46:36 am »

I don't play Paradox games MP simply because Paradox games MP is basically either even easier AI steamrolling or it breaks friendships.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 01, 2016, 08:55:46 am »

Minority of players are interested in multiplayer in strategy titles, but they tend to be a very noisy minority. I certainly have nothing against multiplayer, I just hope it doesn't take away effort from single player in a vain effort to balance things too tightly.

Personaly, I think playing stuff like CK2 in multiplayer just takes too much commitment. If I want to play multiplayer I play shooters or in the other extreme, something like Dom4 which can be played as PBEM.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 01, 2016, 09:12:37 am »

Personaly, I think playing stuff like CK2 in multiplayer just takes too much commitment. If I want to play multiplayer I play shooters or in the other extreme, something like Dom4 which can be played as PBEM.
You think that takes too much commitment but play PBEM with zero problems? A multiplayer game like this takes a few hours of commitment, Dominions takes MONTHS of it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 01, 2016, 10:15:38 am »

Multiplaying Paradox things takes commitment for hours on one sitting while coordinating schedules with lots of people to make it happen. Dom4 PBEM requires only a server that is running and everyone can play when they feel like it within the time limit set to the server. While the latter might take more time in total, it requires less logistics.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 01, 2016, 11:37:32 am »

^ Not really, if you play with your friends or active CK2 or EU4 MPers at least. We simply save the game if someone has to go, and continue on when everyone is available again. It works like a charm.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 01, 2016, 03:48:36 pm »

You think that takes too much commitment but play PBEM with zero problems? A multiplayer game like this takes a few hours of commitment, Dominions takes MONTHS of it.
I agree, actually. Something like CK2 takes your full attention for several consecutive hours.

^ Not really, if you play with your friends or active CK2 or EU4 MPers at least. We simply save the game if someone has to go, and continue on when everyone is available again. It works like a charm.
Well in practice, unless everyone involved devotes a huge portion of their life to idleness, that means you need to either coordinate a time or it's very unlikely that you'll get more than a session or two in the same game. So while a game session may not need the entire weekend, it'll need a pretty decent amount of time if anything is going to happen.

While the latter might take more time in total,
I wouldn't consider that necessarily true either, if you play both to completion. Dominions is like an hour a turn at most, if you don't do frivolous stuff like blogging about it, and it's not that common to get to even 100 turns. Playing from start date to end date in CK2 can easily exceed 100 hours, especially if you have a bunch of people slowing things down whenever there's a war.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 01, 2016, 07:14:11 pm »

Yes. It's awesome.

Yup. Then they'll go online and complain.

*looks around suspiciously* my friend is a bit like this. I'm actually playing two games - trying to grow and trying to also protect my friend regardless of alliance status because if he gets a dose of (very) bad luck, he'll just refuse to play the game.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 01, 2016, 07:36:58 pm »

I used to play with someone who would rage quit if they were losing a war or died prematurely in EUIV or CKII. It was awful, because a tiny bit of bad luck meant we'd lose a player and it would stop the game. However, I've also played long games of multiplayer with another friend of mine that were really fun. A surprisingly fun game is when two of you play as the same nation and have to coordinate.

Well in practice, unless everyone involved devotes a huge portion of their life to idleness, that means you need to either coordinate a time or it's very unlikely that you'll get more than a session or two in the same game. So while a game session may not need the entire weekend, it'll need a pretty decent amount of time if anything is going to happen.
You need at least two or three hours, and in the early game you can read a book or alt-tab if nothing big is happening. usually people are free at night or on weekends, so time isn't as big a deal for my friends playing EUIV.

While the latter might take more time in total,
I wouldn't consider that necessarily true either, if you play both to completion. Dominions is like an hour a turn at most, if you don't do frivolous stuff like blogging about it, and it's not that common to get to even 100 turns. Playing from start date to end date in CK2 can easily exceed 100 hours, especially if you have a bunch of people slowing things down whenever there's a war.
How many games have you played from 769 to the 1400s in singleplayer CKII?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 01, 2016, 08:02:59 pm »

I would be more interested in MP if it wasn't such shit.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 01, 2016, 08:39:03 pm »

I used to play with someone who would rage quit if they were losing a war or died prematurely in EUIV or CKII.

I'm this guy in SINGLE PLAYER. It's awful from my end too. Its like "oh remember those 40 hours you spent building this thing? GONE"
But yeah, if I were to play MP I wouldn't rage quit on you even if that happened. Once other people are involved its your responsibility to not flip out.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 01, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »

*looks around suspiciously* my friend is a bit like this. I'm actually playing two games - trying to grow and trying to also protect my friend regardless of alliance status because if he gets a dose of (very) bad luck, he'll just refuse to play the game.
I hate doing this so much. I have a couple of friends (and a sister) like this. Where I really want to play with them, but sometimes it's something where I'm just straight out better and have to coddle them so they won't ragequit.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 632