Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678204 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1950 on: May 11, 2016, 05:10:25 pm »

Okay, so my friend and I have been playing MP , and ever since this last patch, when we load up a save after a desync it doesnt work, and we desync day one of starting up the new game.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 11, 2016, 05:24:10 pm »

I have to say, the IGN review is pretty spot on: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/05/09/stellaris-review

I would ignore the score but I'm sure some people would raise arms about it.

This game feels like Sengoku.

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen at launch with this game. Hopefully they'll patch it or at least put out some decent DLC that makes it worth getting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: May 11, 2016, 05:27:56 pm »

I would take IGN reviews with a grain of salt.
But who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: May 11, 2016, 05:30:00 pm »

I would take IGN reviews with a grain of salt.
But who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do.
Here's what Paradox says you should do: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1solvon

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: May 11, 2016, 05:44:22 pm »

By Thor's beard they need to get someone to go over this with the 'quality of life and automation' brush!! Endlessly having to reschedule survey ships and not being able to see a list of viable planets and resources is just plain sloppy.

Whilst I've really, really enjoyed it - more than pretty much any 4x since GalCiv2 - it really, really feels like Paradox have designed this game from the ground up with DLC in mind. I'm more than happy for bits they can't add into the main game into it, but this goes too far. There seem to be whole parts of the game which may as well have a 'coming to stores near you' written on them.

Regardless, I found the early game about a billion times more interesting than most, and I found the other races to be pretty memorable and like..actual races rather than just 'green blob' and 'red blob with nasty ships'. All the complaints about midgame I sort of don't agree with - it just gives you freedom with which you actually have to DO something - you can slog away, or you can start radically changing up your society, or you can go on a crazy crusade.

Overall, I'd give it a 6.3 too. Whilst it's by far the best 4x game in recent times (and destined to probably become the best one ever honestly) I cannot, and will not, forgive the blatant DLCing and sloppy quality of life stuff. CKII and stuff weren't great at launch, but they seemed at least like a coherent product - this seems MADE for DLC. Urgh.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: May 11, 2016, 05:59:53 pm »

Is there way of increasing chance of getting some tech? Despite having all prerequisites sentient ai tech never shows up ;-;7
Yeah, certain ethos and government types get different tech priorities. Militarist tend to get more weapons. Materialists tend to get more research. Etc. It's stupid that the game doesn't tell you.

Also, looking at the wiki, your scientists traits can give better chances of getting certain types of tech.
They actually did this in the Blorg stream at one point. Though personally I haven't had much luck with it. The rather random nature of scientist traits combined with not being able to "refresh" the new scientist tab means its basically full random.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 11, 2016, 06:13:34 pm »

So, the whole alliance thing might be a bit wonky... I have 302 relation with a minor empire I liberated from a foe, I have EVERY possible deal with them, full embassy bonus and they still won't join my alliance because I lost around 20 points of Liberation relation while waiting for the embassy score to go up. And they're right next to their parent empire which is a lot bigger than them and should realistically be considered a threat

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: May 11, 2016, 06:30:18 pm »

Is there way of increasing chance of getting some tech? Despite having all prerequisites sentient ai tech never shows up ;-;7
Yeah, certain ethos and government types get different tech priorities. Militarist tend to get more weapons. Materialists tend to get more research. Etc. It's stupid that the game doesn't tell you.

Also, looking at the wiki, your scientists traits can give better chances of getting certain types of tech.
They actually did this in the Blorg stream at one point. Though personally I haven't had much luck with it. The rather random nature of scientist traits combined with not being able to "refresh" the new scientist tab means its basically full random.
I mean you *can* refresh the scientist tab... you just got pay a bit of influence :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: May 11, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »

First play session.  Put me at the base of a galactic arm.  Closest faction hates my guts.  I made my guys non religious militarists.  The other guys?  Fanatical zealots.

Fortunately we ended up observing some kind of an armed truce for a few years.   Long enough for me to find that I am boxed in by that guy.  With only 2 habitable planets to my name, unless I can find some way to jump the galactic gap to one of the other arms.  Fortunately he is also boxed in, by someone who likes me quite a bit.  Unfortunately they also like my rival quite a bit and are pacifists anyway.

Despite my best efforts my rival out techs me and out builds me.  I figure I can counter his weapon or defensive choice, but I can't seem to find any way at all to figure out what style of weapons they are using to properly counter it, since I can't enter their territory to scan their ships, and can't find a way to just plop a ship down on the border to scan their territory.

Eventually war is declared.  I picked two weapon options and 2 defensive options since I didn't know what I was up against and I was worried recearching all 3 would just make them all equally garbage.  Lasers and missiles, and shields and armor.   They picked missiles. Welp, my defensive recearch is pointless.  Maybe my big navy makes up for it...  Nope.  Twice my military strength.  And that's just the first fleet.  Welp, gg.   

I managed to try to put up one fight in the home system.  I caught them warping in to my home planet with my entire battle fleet there.  I move my fleet to be right on top of them when they warp in, since I noticed that when ships warp into a system they can't fight back for a good long while.  But apparently that is not so.

So 2 questions. 1) How to a gather intel on a potential opponent before war starts?  And second, how was my opponent able to immediately open fire when they warped into my system, when from my experience with bandits, my ships cannot fire for a good 10 or 15 seconds after warping? (that last bit was actually a little embarrassing, I was so pleased with myself that I audibly yelled out "surprise motherf*cker!"  Only to get immediately wrecked.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:35:37 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1959 on: May 11, 2016, 07:32:50 pm »

Rule 1: Do not attack space cows
Rule 2: DO NOT ATTACK SPACE COWS
Rule 3: WHAT TERRIBLE FATE HAVE YOU WROUGHT? DO NOT ATTACK THE SPACE COWS!

I sat down to play Stellaris, I thought I was disappointed. Then I checked the time and realized it was 1 in the morning. This is addiction, this is crack, this is what happens when Alpha Centauri and Hearts of Iron have a bastard baby together.
I can't believe the game actually managed to make me feel guilty for something.
I had three Earth-like planets. I was boxed in along an arm of the galactic spiral by some peaceful hippy avians to the galactic northwest and some federation traders to the southeast. Through aggressive satellite constructions all of my domain was efficiently harvested, but my domain could expand no further. The pacifist hippy birds who I had spent so long with peace and mutual cooperation did not realize I was eyeing their multitude of Earthlike planets with envy - the naive bird people didn't even care for them, preferring desert roosts.

Lacking advanced weapons, or shielding, or armour, the humanoid navy was comprised of big fucking destroyers fitted with big fucking missiles, and two dozen corvettes and salvaged alien warships. The embassy to the hippies was withdrawn. After buying out their mineral reserves, trade was cut. When war was declared the avians sent only one diplomatic message:
'Why?'
Warfleet One struck quickly into the underbelly of the avian Empire, destroying orbital stations and military outposts alike, paving way for the planetary invasion force. With the first planet subdued, I assembled all of my warfleets to a research sector, leaving a clear open path directly to my capital open. The avians took the bait and their technologically superior fleet found itself caught between Warfleet One and the Unity Spacestation - destroyers rolling out of their docks and straight into battle to replace the grueling losses that were inflicted upon the human forces. By the conclusion of the battle of Deneb, most of the human fleet was destroyed, Unity Spacestation was a sneeze away from destruction - but of the avians, total annihilation was achieved.
When a reinvigorated human destroyer fleet arrived above their skies, they surrendered to avoid more bloodshed of their kin.
Their kin were superior in societal management, in scientific development and in war. They began forming a powerful faction for rebellion, sabotaging our facilities and spreading corruption throughout the planetary government. Resettlement was impossible, integration failed, to avoid facing total insurrection from the planetary level at a time where the earthlike planets were being settled, reaction was severe.
Their robot serfs and friends were dismantled. Their people were purged. Their once proud cities became empty bowls of dust.
The naive avians renounced pacifism that day.

What was supposed to have been a quick war to secure the Earthlike planets turned into a bitter feud between the avians and humans, the humans forced to pursue and exterminate ever-Westwards the fleeing refugees, as the superior avian Empire could not be allowed to recover and seek revenge.

Their survivors are in distant trails, outposts elsewhere - soon I will take their capital and begin pushing for their strategic resources, until only the farthest corners of their Empire gives them safety. Once they reach the borders of the great celestial Empire I dare not approach, I will leave them be. Their people under my watch will be sterilized and resettled until slowly, none remain - the end goal of purging is the same but now it is efficient. I may send their robot friends with them to comfort them in the end.

I look at the now formidable fleet of battlecruisers emerging from my spaceports, my first voidcraft carriers entering service, my colony ships now taking over the tropical worlds - I wonder if it was all worth it?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:58 pm »

One thing that bugs me is that your transports cannot be upgraded-annoying when you're attacking an empire across the gap in the galactic arm and your transports can't make the jump while your fleets can(still managed to make him concede by blowing up absolutely everything he owned with my 4k deathfleet).
Other than that, I've already put in 33 hours according to steam, so safe to say I'm loving this a hell of a lot :D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: May 11, 2016, 08:23:11 pm »

My empire as of several hours ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Notice the xenophilic fallen empire chilling on the galactic rim.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1962 on: May 11, 2016, 08:43:54 pm »

When my brother declared war on pacifistic xenophobes, their response was 'B-but why?'. He attempted to white peace out because he felt bad (He had overwhelming force compared to them) but they refused and called him a coward.

After that he forgot his guilt.
I can sympathize with your brother, the Avians have just formed a federation and have an independent Empire now larger than mine. Seems getting close to the Celestial Empire did them some good.

Also found a solution to the conundrum to finding out what your enemy's geared up with.
If they're in sensor range of your planets you can zoom in and see all their missiles, shield generators, plasma chuckers and so on. Looks like I'm gonna be fielding some point defence corvettes to take the first wave in >:)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 11, 2016, 09:11:46 pm »

Eh, I should probably wait till the second DLC comes out, and purchase the base game + first DLC.  But I can't wait!

I sometimes cringe at how much I've paid for Crusader Kings II.  But if the DLCs are of the same overall quality as the ones for Crusader Kings II, then I'll probably be happy.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1964 on: May 11, 2016, 09:34:28 pm »

it really, really feels like Paradox have designed this game from the ground up with DLC in mind. I'm more than happy for bits they can't add into the main game into it, but this goes too far. There seem to be whole parts of the game which may as well have a 'coming to stores near you' written on them.
I can't really blame them here. DLC is their business model. I won't complain about spending ~$80 over the next few years on something that I'll (potentially) sink thousands of hours in.

I sometimes cringe at how much I've paid for Crusader Kings II.  But if the DLCs are of the same overall quality as the ones for Crusader Kings II, then I'll probably be happy.
We're probably looking at EUIV-style DLC (i.e. smaller and more frequent), with regular patches and so on.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 632