Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678186 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2085 on: May 13, 2016, 04:27:53 pm »

I've found Sol a couple of times.

First time was during WW2, and the second modern-day. It has uniquely named armies.

I've found Sol too but the strongest alliance (after mine) holds it, and the empire holding it has the weird habit of turning every small neighbor and uplifted species into vassals.
I'll eventually fight them, but will take a while since it'll probably be the last war in this first playthrough..and I kinda want to wait for patches otherwise it'll take days just to take all over.  ::)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 13, 2016, 04:29:39 pm »

well on the topic of sol i figured out how to kill the duplicate sol. i went into the save and found the pop IDs and then consoled all of them. that deleted the empire. i like sol but not when I'm the humans playing as sol already.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 13, 2016, 05:12:24 pm »

In the pre-release stream the Blorg found the Sol system and it was covered with mutated radioactive cockroaches that gained sentience after a nuclear war.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 13, 2016, 05:36:09 pm »

What about making a race called the Ethereals, building an observation outpost on Sol III and infiltrating the species?

"This is how XCOM happens from the other side" - Scott Manley about Stellaris.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 13, 2016, 05:52:21 pm »

It would be funny a pre-space race could fight off your forces and then suddenly invent better versions of your own tech.

I imagine most players would just get annoyed and devote all their resources to stamping them out...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 13, 2016, 06:12:42 pm »

There actually is a X-Com series of events that can be triggered when infiltrating or aggressively investigating a sufficiently advanced pre-FTL species.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 13, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »

This game has so many funny little details once you work out some of the quirks, I can totally see this replacing CK II as my Paradox go-to game once it gets a bit more polish and maybe a few balancing patches/fixes.
In my current multi-culturalist game, I conquered a planet from a neighbor of mine. Unfortunately that planet had both regular and Trans-versions of the Steccashi race, and the Trans ones were really xenophobic and not very happy with being under the heel of benevolent alien overlords. Cue 15 years of domestic terrorism and general shitty times on planet Tirnaga.
Then I attacked the same foe a second time and liberated a handful of planets peopled mainly by Trans-Steccashians, thus creating a fawning Trans-Steccashi ally. A few diplomatic talks later and every angry Trans-Steccashi on the planet I own gets a free ticket to the newly formed Trans-Steccashi League territory, ridding me of domestic terrorism and even giving me a diplomatic bonus to boot. And the beautiful thing is it's a one-way agreement so they aren't coming back either  :D

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 13, 2016, 07:58:15 pm »

My Empire just elected a Science Ship captain and immigrant from one of our allied races as High Priestess of our Transcendent Republic. In other news, fungus people from some yet another religious empire have started immigrating to Tirnaga. I think my empire must be the melting pot of the galaxy, we now count 7 different species in it, not counting the droids. I wish I had orbital mind control lasers to brainwash everyone :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 13, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »

So... I am noticing that peaceful doesn't necessarily mean peaceful.

It seems incredibly hypocritical in fact.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2094 on: May 13, 2016, 08:36:42 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 13, 2016, 08:51:19 pm »

Tried LU playthrough, glorius liberal materialist human union, which sees every new species as equal part in grand mosaic of the universe.
Everything went pretty well, as I managed to get some good and cheap researchers and workers with similar views from unhappy warmongering shitholes, so economy and research skyrocketed.
But then started immigration of religious militaristic rapid breeding bugs, which make everyone around them unhappy.
Then said bugs get unhappy because everyone around them is not religious enough. Borders cant be closed, goverment is forced to spend all political influence on bribing bugs leaders, because immigrants start blowing up my food producing buildings and cause even more rage with starting starvation, plan of supressing information via degree to stop ethics divergence does not work out, as with not enough influence your degrees stop working. And it is totally impossible to change any damn policies, because of 10 years waiting period.

Meanwhile one of shitholes I accepted immigrants earlier rightfully liberates planet with grand part of LU industry and their industrious awesome avian ex-citizens, which immigrated to me earlier, the invasion was so swift, that it looked like AI prepared specially for this day. Bugs elect their own president, who has food production bonus, so starting human population begins leaving due to being unhappy with being overwhelmed by religious insects  and bugs use food surplus to reproduce even more on my capital.
To finish that on the last remaining noncapital world insectoid separatists liberate themself from my ,, opression "( u wot, like I was liberal island of freedom, science and prosperity  in sea of militarist underdeveloped religious unhappy shitholes with slavery before you guys started immigrating, then you ruined everything, but I am still guilty somehow?)
So ends liberal union gaming experience.
Imperium policies worked waaay better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 13, 2016, 08:52:51 pm »

You want to use certain policies to limit them. As well genetically modifying them so they aren't ugly helps a lot too.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 13, 2016, 08:58:10 pm »

in the  long term, it is fine. The problem is if you start spamming colonies everywhere like if it was Civ 3. Sure, after they are well developed you will beat those who stayed small. But for a while, you will develope slower. Expansion makes you more powerful, but the game punishes you for fast overextension. As soon as players adjust, that should no longer be much of a problem.

Why would you develop slower? When you start a colony you only have 1 population on the planet, so it's only a 2% addition to science modifier. As long as you make every 3rd of 4th improvement a lab, you completely offset the modifier. The ONLY downside to starting a colony in this game is the temporary Energy Credit deficit you experience while the colony is being set up on the planet and that's temporary. It's easy to offset the lost credits in a couple months as well, as long as you build a power plant on the new colony or a mining station on a nearby Energy Credit node.

I also like that every colony can have a Spaceport, which in some cases is reason enough to expand.  More ships with less upkeep?  Yes Please!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 13, 2016, 09:03:26 pm »

Tried LU playthrough, glorius liberal materialist human union, which sees every new species as equal part in grand mosaic of the universe.
Everything went pretty well, as I managed to get some good and cheap researchers and workers with similar views from unhappy warmongering shitholes, so economy and research skyrocketed.
But then started immigration of religious militaristic rapid breeding bugs, which make everyone around them unhappy.
Then said bugs get unhappy because everyone around them is not religious enough. Borders cant be closed, goverment is forced to spend all political influence on bribing bugs leaders, because immigrants start blowing up my food producing buildings and cause even more rage with starting starvation, plan of supressing information via degree to stop ethics divergence does not work out, as with not enough influence your degrees stop working. And it is totally impossible to change any damn policies, because of 10 years waiting period.

Meanwhile one of shitholes I accepted immigrants earlier rightfully liberates planet with grand part of LU industry and their industrious awesome avian ex-citizens, which immigrated to me earlier, the invasion was so swift, that it looked like AI prepared specially for this day. Bugs elect their own president, who has food production bonus, so starting human population begins leaving due to being unhappy with being overwhelmed by religious insects  and bugs use food surplus to reproduce even more on my capital.
To finish that on the last remaining noncapital world insectoid separatists liberate themself from my ,, opression "( u wot, like I was liberal island of freedom, science and prosperity  in sea of militarist underdeveloped religious unhappy shitholes with slavery before you guys started immigrating, then you ruined everything, but I am still guilty somehow?)
So ends liberal union gaming experience.
Imperium policies worked waaay better.

I had a similar problem with my Xenophobic Individualists (aka the United States before Brown vs Board of Education).  You really have to watch whom gets your migration agreements.  It might have been possible to fix your problem, but without the save dunno really.

Losing is fun, right?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2099 on: May 13, 2016, 09:48:27 pm »

You want to use certain policies to limit them. As well genetically modifying them so they aren't ugly helps a lot too.
Whilst searching for alternative ways to Stalin conquered people into nonexistence without incurring the wrath of the galactic community (orbital bombardment is unfortunately impractically inefficient to killing them all, at its best I managed to turn half a gaia world into a wasteland but survivors still clung on) I found some liberal democratic xenophilic federation builders - the problem being they were uncharismatic and hideous things, desperately trying to make friends with everyone around them whilst their neighbours were grossly detested by their presence. Federation building aint easy
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 632