Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678096 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2115 on: May 14, 2016, 05:38:39 am »

Missile weapons take LOOONG time before shot reaches the target and also they have hard counter, meanwhile laser weapons( especially tachyon  lances, they are just fabulous) start outputing damage in the same moment you get in range for them to work and dont have actual counters.
Plasma guns + disruptors is already pretty cheesy combo, as AI fleet managed to inflict some casaulties on my battleships despite them having sentient AI, 2700 shielding and top tier weapons. And energy weapon research grants you arc lightening guns, which combine good damage + high chance to bypass shield + bypassing armour + they not only damage one ship, but lightening jumps form one ship to another, so large parts of mosquito fleets can be wiped out in first minutes of battle.

Corvettes are worth sticking best possible engine and defensive computer on them, because you can achieve something like 60 % dodge chance.
Hangars, well, there is kind of defensive stations, which make enemy to perform their ftl jump right on top of the station,such fortress right above the star and filled with bombers and minefield can be rather brutal, bonus points for going full Rogal Dorn and surrounding this fortress with one more long ranged weapon fortress with minefield on each side + give each of those fortresses one of four kekworthy effects like - 20 % shields for enemy fleets, - 20 % firerate and stuff.

Is there way to break into psyonic research after unlocking everything of value as materialists?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 14, 2016, 06:35:53 am »

Side note: I was looking at the Stellaris wiki for various insights, and I am very amused by the fact that the "Diplomacy" section has under it such topics as "Trade", "Alliances and Federations", and "Orbital Bombardment". :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 14, 2016, 06:55:46 am »

So apparently, Xenophobic neighbours don't like it when you adopt the Free Vote policy. Your immediate thought is probably that that's a no-brainer but it's a bit funny because well, I get that the intended point is that Xenophobes don't think aliens should have voting rights but since this is a policy in my empire, they're basically hating on me for allowing them to vote should they ever migrate to my state  :D

Edit: It also seems that apparently you cannot orbital bombard a colony being established if you're not in contact with the race making it, even though you have aggressive First Contact protocol :/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:01:24 am by Sartain »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2118 on: May 14, 2016, 07:02:51 am »

Side note: I was looking at the Stellaris wiki for various insights, and I am very amused by the fact that the "Diplomacy" section has under it such topics as "Trade", "Alliances and Federations", and "Orbital Bombardment". :P
I like how orbital bombardment is the only one of these that isn't totally broken
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: May 14, 2016, 07:32:49 am »

I like how orbital bombardment is the only one of these that isn't totally broken

It takes 30 years to wipe out 3 units of pop, yes, not broken. Same as 8 range of aircraft.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 14, 2016, 09:40:19 am »

Is there way to break into psyonic research after unlocking everything of value as materialists?
The only way for Materialists to get access to psionic research is if they luck out and get a scientist leader with the Psionic trait - they will then have a chance of it turning up while that leader is assigned to Society research.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 14, 2016, 09:53:20 am »

I've heard that the AI in the game is really bad, is this true ?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: May 14, 2016, 10:00:56 am »

true. not just the empire ai, but also the single unit ai

also every piece of the UI is infuriating, from single/double click inconsistency to menus that have focused by default the wrong option, up to and including the load screen, which select the latest empire but the oldest save by default. I mean it's 2016 how hard is it to get the save/load process right?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:05:59 am by LoSboccacc »

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 14, 2016, 10:58:37 am »

I was worried about a certain crisis eventually eating up the galaxy because there is a bug that prevents the AI from dealing with it.
Things turned out... differently.
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

Luckily I managed to dance around their fleets to avoid taking on more than one at a time and to quickly destroy the source of the problem. As a result my genocidal empire saved the entire galaxy. A few years later, and everyone hates me again.
Time to use the advanced tech I got out of this "crisis" to purge those ungrateful xeno bastards.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 14, 2016, 11:18:45 am »

Thats a pretty ideal spawn right there :)

edit: And yes the AI is very bad.  Apart from endgame spoiler foes theres nothing to threaten the strategic player, they are simply incapable.  And the spoilers manage threat by sheer speed of development, still no smart moves.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:53:02 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 14, 2016, 01:42:35 pm »

Oh lord is it awful. For 4x standards its bad, but when you compare it to previous paradox games you have to wonder what went wrong. Rushed release? Incompetent AI development team? Bugged implementation? A combination? Regardless, it's bad.

Stellaris in general isn't as grand as I hoped, literally. They're marketing it like a grand strategy title, but it's just not. It's just a 4x, no more, no less. I like the empire customization abilities - that's definitely better than most 4x I've played - but the rest of the game is very simple, shallow, and... well, not paradox. In one night you can probably uncover every little thing this game has to offer. I think a lot of the people loving it are diehard paradox players who aren't used to the 4x genre and like that it's something new.

But, in true paradox fashion, It has the possibility to become a lot more than it is if you give it several years worth of DLC. I cant suggest the game to anyone until then. This isn't a 30 dollar mid-2016 title, it's a 100 dollar late 2017 title. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:46:01 pm by Rex_Nex »

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 14, 2016, 02:04:47 pm »

This game is like crack, I really got lost in time and space, and that only happens to a small set of games. It beats the "one more turn" of civ because of all the parallell developments making up a quick series of mini "new turns". Shouldn't have decided to try it out last night in other words :P

Nice bladerunneresque music that fits the pace of the game. No comment on the AI though, as I haven't had any wars yet ~130 years in (I like that you don't have to fight). But yes, I think expanding has been a bit too easy, the AI doesn't catch up. The game is clearly inspired by MoI, and there (at least in the one and only MoI 2) the AI is difficult. But it could of course be due to handicaps.

Now I just need to finish this one game and wait until the never ending stream of DLC-to-be stops :D

Is there a bug with the "spoilers"? I just encountered them.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:06:35 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 14, 2016, 02:32:00 pm »

I went collective materialists, researched synthetics (after several long and hard decades, sentient machinery refused to pop up) and purged my original population. I am now the robot collective.

Pro: I don't need food
Pro: Production bonuses
Con: Pop needs to be built
Con: That energy consumption

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 14, 2016, 02:52:24 pm »

...so if the rebellion event fires you'll literally lose.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 14, 2016, 03:28:10 pm »

You mean literally win
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 632