Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678289 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3555 on: October 31, 2016, 02:56:30 pm »

I'd still stay away from feds, there are still aspects of them that are still bugged. Not really worth losing the 20% fleet strength unless you really need the protection.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: October 31, 2016, 03:06:35 pm »

I'm still new with the game, but it seems the extra research you get from expansion is enough to counter the tech penalty. You need more planets and stations to increase naval capacity, so they seem necessary to increase the "relative strength" calculated by the game against other empires. And you need high "relative strength" to get others to do what you want, even if they are your friends.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: October 31, 2016, 03:18:18 pm »

The ethics divergence is easily the least significant of the real problems, though. I can deal with pops being unhappy because I purged and they're xenos-loving traitors, I just resettle them onto a useless border world or purge them.

I've fixed the idiotic "the more powerful you are, the more your vassals hate you" thing, but the whole process of uplifting/integrating/&c. is just a total pain in the ass compared to killing everything. It's the same end result, only it takes far more time and resources. It's not like terraforming and gene-modding aren't things you can do that are just flatly more effective than getting subject pops and hoping that they've got the right tolerances or traits.

I say this because all I'm trying to do is get a save to the endgame to do some weapons testing against real threats, but even if you're a fanatic xenophile with the other species happiness trait you're still going to have to conquer some idiots, and being a xenos-lover like that just means that when you do it's harder to deal with them (since they're inevitably xenophobic/spiritualist/militarist jackasses that won't get along), since you can't just purge them or sit below your target warscore while you sloooooooowly kill their pops with orbital bombardment.

:I
Question: why not engage in wars of liberation? Replace the xenophobic militarist leaders of your enemies with ones that see your point of view, then become besties with them until they decide to join up with you. The pops won't necessarily change, but that's what propaganda and divergence-reducing stuff is for.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:53 pm »

And so the Kingdom loses a THIRD science vessel+scientist to RNG. After failing a special project, everyone on the ship went insane and killed each other, destroying the ship in the process. Say good-bye to my nearly 4-star scientist who was going to examine a special homeworld soon.

The RNG seems to be particularly sadistic with this event. I've rolled it at least a dozen times and I've literally never had anything but this happen to them. Even when the chance of failure is in the single digits, they still went insane and killed each other. At least if you reassign the scientist during that ~30 day period after failing the event they can escape being killed.

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: October 31, 2016, 05:34:08 pm »

The one that always gets my science ships is the one where it disappears, then reappears as two different ones.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: November 01, 2016, 01:32:18 am »

The one that always gets my science ships is the one where it disappears, then reappears as two different ones.
I had this recently and killed the second one, just to be safe.

I'm still new with the game, but it seems the extra research you get from expansion is enough to counter the tech penalty. You need more planets and stations to increase naval capacity, so they seem necessary to increase the "relative strength" calculated by the game against other empires. And you need high "relative strength" to get others to do what you want, even if they are your friends.
SORTA.
Recently playing a "don't colonize at all" game and the tech boost is fucking absurd.
Basically how it works is you have to think of it like fractions.
Its pretty much impossible for you to deck out EVERY planet you grab with 80% science labs, but its not TOO horrendously hard to do it with your capital.
So yeah, crazy tech times.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: November 01, 2016, 06:29:15 am »

So, yesterday I got an event I never had gotten before. Turns out the head of my physics research just kind of went poof, and I get 3 locations in which he might be in, all around my capital. After searching around for a bit, I find him, he says he can't go back because he's "searching for the window". After trying to convince him, he just tells me he's going away but he's leaving behind these drones he found. Said drones never actualy show up and the scientist just disappears forever, with no actual follow up.

So, bugged event, or something?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: November 01, 2016, 08:14:33 pm »

Speaking of bugged events, I finally completed a Precursor quest chain! But, you know, their homeworld had already been surveyed by another empire so nothing happened. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than just not being able to find enough precursor anomalies to get that far.

Maybe in another eight months and two patches the game will be able to handle the concept of a "quest chain." It's a pretty sophisticated, cutting edge concept, though, so I can understand it taking a while.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: November 01, 2016, 08:54:32 pm »

Speaking of bugged events, I finally completed a Precursor quest chain! But, you know, their homeworld had already been surveyed by another empire so nothing happened. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than just not being able to find enough precursor anomalies to get that far.

Maybe in another eight months and two patches the game will be able to handle the concept of a "quest chain." It's a pretty sophisticated, cutting edge concept, though, so I can understand it taking a while.
While quest chains in general might be still a ways over the horizon, the precursor events specifically are on the short list for the next patch, which was inserted between Heinlein and Banks in the latest Dev Diary.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: November 02, 2016, 02:39:33 am »

Precursor thingies are a huge letdown anyway. You don't really....get anything for them. The best is the Cybrex which gets you engineering research (15 I think, for their home system?) and Living Metal. It would be nice if the precursors were tied to the FE's somehow, tho. So you could, say, gain a boon to a relationship with one or learn their weakness or something.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: November 02, 2016, 11:10:40 am »

I found three pre-spacefliht civs in neighbouring systems. So far I have inspired them all to become fanato spiritaliasts via crop circles on one of them and caused another to interrupt into a huge religious war after my head scientist made the locals believe he was a god.

We're totally researching, guys, not just pissing about.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: November 02, 2016, 11:29:22 am »

Are you using that mod? The one where you can deliberately set your people up as gods or guardians?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: November 02, 2016, 12:36:10 pm »

Are you using that mod? The one where you can deliberately set your people up as gods or guardians?
Nope, no mods.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: November 02, 2016, 01:47:27 pm »

So I finished my first war with a Fallen Empire. Instead of operating with multiple task forces, I just gathered my armada into one giant sledgeball and bashed their fleets apart one by one. Ended up coming out of it with a great deal of high end technology, so my next generation ships are going to be twice as powerful... which is a good thing, as my (remaining) southern neighbors declared me their rivals, and they have something like six nations in their federation, so I imagine that I'll need to some some fleets down there to sort them out.

Aside from build time, is there any reason NOT to just send fleets composed of only battleships at enemies? Destroyers and cruisers just sort of melt in fleet battles, and don't seem to do a lot of damage in return.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: November 02, 2016, 02:21:46 pm »

Aside from build time, is there any reason NOT to just send fleets composed of only battleships at enemies? Destroyers and cruisers just sort of melt in fleet battles, and don't seem to do a lot of damage in return.

Strangely enough, when I've sent fleets with a good amount of each ship type into battle, it's the cruisers and destroyers that survived the most/longest. My corvettes died when the enemy looked at them, and my battleships seemed to attract enemy fire, but while they lived my cruisers and destroyers were totally fine.

I imagine it had something to do with targeting preferences/ship class behavior, but hell if I know. Also, I realize this doesn't answer your question at all. Hm.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 632