Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678230 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3705 on: November 10, 2016, 11:06:13 am »

A sufficiently advanced empire with the right tech should be able to send in agents that are genetically modified to pass as the enemy species and influence them, with the success of infiltration being based on enemy ethos, scientific advancement in sociology in comparison to yours and certain genetic traits, or something like that. That way, technologically advanced empires have more ways to bring other, less advanced empires into the fold, even if the enemy has a more powerful military and larger territory, and also prevents you from doing gamey things such as trying to influence fallen empires, altough it would be nice if there was a decent way to make fallent empires cooperate with you, with enough effort.

Right now diplomacy seems very limited since the only way to actively increase relations is to make deals.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:08:44 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: November 10, 2016, 11:28:11 am »

You can send disguised agents onto primitive worlds without genetic engineering, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: November 10, 2016, 02:25:25 pm »

Brings a rather amusing image to mind when you're seven foot tall birb-people and they're two foot tall fungi.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: November 10, 2016, 02:28:37 pm »

2' tall violet mushroom: "Bob, are you a bird?"

2'1" tall green mushroom: "What? No, what the fuck are you talking about?"

7' bird wearing a portabella as a hat: "Yah, me neither. You want to go skateboards?"
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: November 10, 2016, 02:30:38 pm »

Well, may be it is something like chameleon cloak and holo projector combo  :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: November 10, 2016, 02:33:56 pm »

I was always under the impression that it went like this:

1. Passive observation = Watching them from space
2. Active observation = Kidnapping them to probe their many anuses
3. Uplifting them = Overly revealing yourselves to be better / superior / smarter / more guns / godlier than them, and then "guiding" them to becoming a spacefaring race.

Though I do also seem to remember some events talking about how our genetically modified agents got themselves elected or something.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: November 10, 2016, 02:42:32 pm »

There's a fourth level, where it's infiltration to directly annex them as another world. Uplifting turns them into a vassal state, where you're all "And THAT'S how you harness the fifth level of energy..."

Infiltration is where you have agents getting elected to then ask your government to annex the planet.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: November 10, 2016, 03:13:54 pm »

There's a fourth level, where it's infiltration to directly annex them as another world. Uplifting turns them into a vassal state, where you're all "And THAT'S how you harness the fifth level of energy..."

Infiltration is where you have agents getting elected to then ask your government to annex the planet.
Ah right, forgot about that.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: November 10, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »

There are also several events like one of the infiltrators falling in love with a native and going rogue.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: November 10, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »

There are also several events like one of the infiltrators falling in love with a native and going rogue.
Brings a rather amusing image to mind when you're seven foot tall birb-people and they're two foot tall fungi.

The mental image created by these two together is captivating. Truly, love knows no boundaries.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: November 10, 2016, 07:36:10 pm »

Maybe in the Stellaris universe, the SEP effect is a universal technology. A primitive mammal will subconsciously ignore the fact that its world's new Global Leader is a purple slug-thing because it, and every other member of its species, assumes that it is Someone Else's Problem.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: November 10, 2016, 09:46:32 pm »

I like to imagine EVERYONE in Stellaris is really fucking oblivious.

Infiltration mission on Sol 3 goes wrong...
'OK, so the perp was 7 feet, bright blue, and had four legs?' 'Yeah' 'God dammit, that's describing fucking everyone on the planet.
Maybe in the Stellaris universe, the SEP effect is a universal technology. A primitive mammal will subconsciously ignore the fact that its world's new Global Leader is a purple slug-thing because it, and every other member of its species, assumes that it is Someone Else's Problem.
Either or both of these interpretations explain sector AI perfectly.

"Frank, you ever notice we produce 2.5 times as much food as we eat?"
"Can't say I do, Bill. Can't say I do."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: November 10, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »

Having properly won my first game of Stellaris (instead of being the best and strongest and getting bored), I have to say. How the heck can people play in normal sized or larger galaxies? A domination victory took forever, thanks to only being able to gobble up a limited number of planets per war. The last 10~ hours or so was pretty much cleanup to get to that point. Liberating and vassalizing and liberating and vassalizing... Big pain in the ass. Now if you lowered the number of habitable planets then I can understand having a larger galaxy, since that's less tedium to deal with in the endgame. But keeping everything else as it is, even a small galaxy is too big.

It'd probably help if the other nations weren't so bland. In CK2/EU4 they're similarly wooden and unimpressionable, but that's modified by the fact that they're historic nations and you have the same starting position each game. So we have stuff like the 'Big Blue Blob' meme that livens them up and gives them some personality. But Stellaris has nothing of that going on. I wonder what would be the best way to give the AI nations some personality? In my finished game I had an event where a neighbouring nation had a scientist that wanted to investigate my holy cluster of stars. Having something like that, light, fluffy events that involve the other nation, might be an option to make them less interchangable and forgettable. Though unless you have a ton of events, it's going to get repetitive in the end. Hmmm...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: November 11, 2016, 12:21:05 am »

I like to imagine EVERYONE in Stellaris is really fucking oblivious.

Infiltration mission on Sol 3 goes wrong...
'OK, so the perp was 7 feet, bright blue, and had four legs?' 'Yeah' 'God dammit, that's describing fucking everyone on the planet.
Either or both of these interpretations explain sector AI perfectly.

"Frank, you ever notice we produce 2.5 times as much food as we eat?"
"Can't say I do, Bill. Can't say I do."
I've always wondered why sectors are so...inefficient. Or on why there's a giant leap in science capacity needed for every planet. :I
Newbie question: I usually play with Fanatic Spiritualism (but Intelligent to get the 10% Materialist bonus), and I've been wondering if the Peaceful Bureaucracy is helpful with science (given that it gives +5 to 'core' planets, so that's a nice x/10 cap at the start and I don't like sectors).
Though I have forgotten--do planets in sectors contribute to that science capacity limit? (The number where you hover your mouse over and it displays the # of players and population over 10 being a % addition?)

Next is the question about late game crises:
...Is it feasible that one could survive with a 25% inhabitable system? I like playing small systems instead of delegating sectors (which are broken as far as I'm aware? :/) and wonder if my small # of planets (...5.) and a late game research workforce/military can aptly work.

...As an aside, I've always wondered if they'll fix the whole 'science ship in combat! Emergency FTL or any "Retreat" button press is a game crash!'
Which was imagined like:
"Doctor Heisenbrach! We have to leave! Our shields are falling and our hull is taking heavy damage!"
"Our equipment is too sensitive apprentice. If we warp out like that, severe instability issues will occur. It is inefficient."
"But ma'am, we will all die!"
"It is more stable if our ship explodes that way then."

And then I pressed "retreat" because the ship was too slow and under attack by a single station :v And then the game exploded crashed.

Although I do love the option of sending science crews as scouts -- the leader can be 'recalled' into a newly made ship anyway and I can dismantle the distant ship. Especially if I've got a new model and goodness would it be hard to recall 'this one ship' just for refitting. :3
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:45:07 am by Tiruin »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: November 11, 2016, 12:47:41 am »

I'm playing through (have never properly finished a game, and now (100 years in) is the farthest I've gotten, and my second or third game total) but I'm not gunning to win
I'm gunning to be big stronk cash cash money freedomland, win the late game crisis, then call it a game

(I'm doin' the united nations)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:49:49 am by Powder Miner »
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 632