Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678262 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3870 on: November 28, 2016, 07:55:58 pm »

Don't Fallen Empires have fleets within the 100k+ range? Based on my near-complete lack of experience, I would just say accept becoming a thrall. Maybe conquer some other thralls to consolidate your power and eventually overthrow your alien overlords. Y'know, the usual.

Damn. Well next time I'm modding the FE to wake up later. 100 years is a bit early.

But side question: Has anyone found defense stations effective? I just don't get them. The best ones you can get are something like 2k power. But with maintenance and the fact that you can't have a fleet of them, how are they effective at all at actual defense? The only real use I see for them is for FTL interdiction and the occasional homefield battle support.

Other than defense roses, they're worthless I say.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: November 28, 2016, 07:58:07 pm »

Interdiction and fleet support are the best uses I've found for them. Stack several different stations with different auras around a major space port and it will take a fairly overwhelming force to destroy them all, assuming they have half-decent technology available.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: November 28, 2016, 08:18:33 pm »

Yeah defense stations and fortresses are great in conjunction with space stations. Just make sure they're armoured or shielded depending on your enemies main weaponry.

I only really build them on absolute front line systems where I need things to hold out for a fleet to arrive.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: November 28, 2016, 08:33:08 pm »

I just had a population on one of my planets genetically engineer themselves with the normal event dialogue, like 2 months after I unlocked the tech, into Synthetics. As in, the third tier of robots. They can grow as a normal pop but are otherwise identical to normal synthetics.

Keep in mind, I haven't even unlocked robots, let alone synthetics.

I didn't even know this was possible. Bug? Feature? I mean, turning yourself into a robot is a thing in Sci-Fi but you'd think it'd be more explicit that this is what happened...
Now see this is a good bug. I mean, it's still kind of incomprehensible as to how it even happened, but in a might make a nice feature way, not a why is a third of the game nonfunctional way.

On the topic of fortresses: In addition to the uses already mentioned, I once had the great fortune of having one draw all of an enemy fleet's fighters towards it, thus leaving my own bombers a relatively clear path.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: November 28, 2016, 09:18:50 pm »

created galaxy of custom races with 25% habitability planets and max difficulty. started next to two of the most aggressive empires and had all of 4 planets that are habitable. blocked in by two nice empires that aren't nice enough. attacked with a fleet three times my strength. welp, next time i wont complain about an op stating position and reload. at least the AI does do a great job with the critters though on insane and aggressive, i could hardly get to them before they were destroyed. might go for a bigger galaxy next time and with a more advantageous staring position not in the center of the galaxy.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: November 29, 2016, 01:33:34 am »

Turns out the synths don't breed, even though at least one pop on their "homeworld" grew via breeding? I'm not really sure. They all died when I unlocked robots and the game auto-chose "Outlawed" instead of "Servant." Maybe cuz I'm a spiritualist empire.

They may not have bred, but the "ROBOT_POP_TIER_3" on that world got both fast breeder and strong as genetic traits. :P

Methinks t'is a bug.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: November 29, 2016, 02:10:49 am »

My main use for defense stations/fortresses is during invasions. I build an interdictor on the outskirts of a system where I've conquered the planet, then jump my fleet out to the nearest uninhabited star. Generally the AI jumps all over the 'undefended' world, and either feeds all of its ground transports into the station's guns, or jumps in with its primary fleet that's been cat and mouse with my doomstack main fleet and its allies. While the AI fleet is busy blowing up the station, I can jump back in with my main fleet and force them into a fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: November 29, 2016, 02:27:31 pm »

Game is on sale on steam right now. What do people think? Worth getting? Or should I hold off a while longer for more content to come out?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: November 29, 2016, 03:14:49 pm »

I've had fun with it.
I'd say get it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: November 29, 2016, 04:00:02 pm »

I'd keep waiting.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3880 on: November 29, 2016, 04:05:27 pm »

It's a lot of fun as-is. I have very much enjoyed it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: November 29, 2016, 04:40:12 pm »

Get it or don't. Up to you. Keep in ind that it currently has two DLCs, one cosmetic and one with actual content.
It is however getting a new update soon-ish.
And you might want to read up on various Developer diaries, unless you don't want to be spoiled of anything.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: November 29, 2016, 06:34:57 pm »

Game is on sale on steam right now. What do people think? Worth getting? Or should I hold off a while longer for more content to come out?

I'd wait for the next DLC drop - I'm kinda annoyed (all my own fault) that I burned myself out with it. Each DLC/patch has improved it a lot, and I really wish I'd just waited a year and really loved it rather than gotten it early and been a bit so-so. It's good fun and a good 4x, but I think in a patch or two it'll become really, really impressive.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: November 30, 2016, 10:36:04 am »

From someone playing on steam sharing, it's something worth getting :)
But content-wise, there's the late-game drop of familiarity and time given the current status of the...probably-bland AI and rigidness with the (initial impression of) diverse choices at the start. But that takes some time to get to though!

Although I'm someone who aims for the steam achievements first before enjoying the game >_> Grrr, stuff not saving for SOME reason despite me playing in Ironman/no mods.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: November 30, 2016, 10:59:34 am »

I recommend trying out alpha mod. It adds a lot of stuff and has a bunch of module and compatible mods to go with it.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 632