Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677295 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4755 on: April 26, 2017, 12:28:47 am »

But the big stuff, the star wars and star trek overhauls, a comprehensive balance and gameplay extension mod, that stuff is still just dreams. Right now you've got a couple races, generally not even compiled into a pack, some basic gameplay modifications, and people who just throw tons of content at the game in the assumption that quantity begets quality.

Star Trek New Horizons is quite playable, though at present the restricted weapon choice is problematic compared to normal Stellaris. In STNH weapons are restricted by nation, so as a particular race you can't use other races' weapons, which means you're restricted to the weapon properties of your nation's weapons and can't specialize to defeat particular ship types.

Compare Star Trek Online: You can use any weapon type on your ships (meaning phasers, disruptors, plasma, antiproton, etc), regardless of whether you are Federation, Romulan, or Klingon.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: May 09, 2017, 08:42:33 am »

The Abrabs update (1.6) is released
Along with the "Creatures of the Void" portrait pack, for free!
(Plus 3 entirely new portraits, which are included in the DLC.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:45:40 am by Ultimuh »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: May 09, 2017, 09:19:21 am »

Try looking at your DLC list at your game's front page. (Not the Store Page.)
Is it located in that list somewhere? If not, try verifying your game?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: May 09, 2017, 10:12:33 am »

So I finally got this through the Humble Monthly bundle and, I have to say, it's by far the most accessible Paradox game I've yet encountered and is quickly becoming the most enjoyable 4X I've played. I think it has to do with the mix of events and focus on the unique governing style of your race. Reminds me of STARS! in that way.

My first game, which I've only played for about two hours, consists of me, the despotic, autocratic, militaristic fungus, surrounded by at least three different kinds of insects, all of which hate me. Of course, with the update out, I'm not sure if I can continue with that save, which is a bit of a bummer.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:15 am »

If it wasn't posted somewhere already - base game is available through humble monthly for 12$ (remember to unsubscribe, as it's subscription):
https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

edit: looks like someone posted this when i was writing

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: May 09, 2017, 10:59:48 am »

Loaded a game in 1.6, suddenly my food production is not +20 but -30 because sectors stopped producing any food. Yeah. Not nice.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:46 am »

Rule #1 of everything Paradox ever: PATCHES BREAK YOUR SHIT, AND THEY BREAK IT GOOD.

Seriously, even the tiniest bugfixes seem to mess up my save files completely.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37:34 pm »

Apologies for my lazy arse, as I'm sure this has been asked many times already - can someone give me a quick breakdown of what does the Utopia DLC give you as compared to the free patch that was released with it? I get there are those megastructures, but what else?
I'm thinking of buying the game, but from what I've read the mid-to-late game can be hollow in vanilla. Is this DLC practically essential in order to fix this, or has it been more or less fixed with the free patch content?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: May 09, 2017, 01:12:42 pm »

Patch 1.6. was told explicitly to be save compatible.

Re: utopia, it adds megastructures, space habitats, species rights & privileges, hive minds, ascension perks, some civics and detailed purge/slavery types.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: May 09, 2017, 01:13:03 pm »

• Megastructures: Build wondrous structures in your systems including Dyson Spheres and ring worlds, bringing both prestige and major advantages to your race.
  • Habitat Stations: Build “tall” and establish space stations that will house more population, serving the role of planets in a small and confined empire.
  • Rights and Privileges: Set specific policies for which of the many species under your thumb will have the rights and privileges of full citizenship.
  • Ascension Perks: Collect Unity points and adopt Traditions to unlock Ascension Perks that allow you to customize your empire in unique ways. Follow one of the three Ascension Paths and achieve Biological Mastery, give up your biological forms in a Synthetic Evolution, or unlock the full psionic potential of your species through Transcendance.
  • Indoctrination: Influence primitive civilizations and make them adopt your ethics through the use of observation stations, preparing them for enlightenment or annexation.
  • Advanced Slavery: Maximize the benefits of slavery by choosing specific roles for enthralled species. Have them serve other Pops as Domestic Servants, fight for your empire as Battle Thralls, or keep them as Livestock to feed your people.
  • Advanced Governments: Adopt unique civics and authorities for your government. Play as a Fanatic Purifier and shun all diplomacy, become a Hive Mind to avoid political strife or create a multi-species empire born of Syncretic Evolution.
I have no

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: May 09, 2017, 01:51:13 pm »

•Megastructures: Build wondrous structures in your systems including Dyson Spheres and ring worlds, bringing both prestige and major advantages to your race.
•Habitat Stations: Build “tall” and establish space stations that will house more population, serving the role of planets in a small and confined empire.

Disappointed that these end up being... Extremely pointless... In fact Habitat Stations end up detrimental due to how this game handles research and Unity.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: May 09, 2017, 02:08:58 pm »

* It is now possible for Fanatic Xenophobe Spiritualists to be Fanatic Purifiers

All will join the Unity, in time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: May 09, 2017, 02:23:18 pm »

So the portraits seem buggy.

I want to DL, but Steam instead launches the game when I try. Not unusual if the DLC's installed, except it's not (unless that's only CotV, and the other portraits are in the base game now)
Paradox having problems with free DLC on launch seems pretty normal.

Also it launched the game for me too, but it also downloaded the DLC.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:25:22 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: May 09, 2017, 03:58:47 pm »

•Megastructures: Build wondrous structures in your systems including Dyson Spheres and ring worlds, bringing both prestige and major advantages to your race.
•Habitat Stations: Build “tall” and establish space stations that will house more population, serving the role of planets in a small and confined empire.

Disappointed that these end up being... Extremely pointless... In fact Habitat Stations end up detrimental due to how this game handles research and Unity.
If you didn't dedicate habitats then it was pointless.

If you did, they were powerful research/energy producers. Food and minerals are pretty eh though.

They count as their own planet. So their research essentially creates parity

Plus the whole Unity penalty occurs either way.

To admit it isn't the worst though.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: May 09, 2017, 04:18:59 pm »

Apologies for my lazy arse, as I'm sure this has been asked many times already - can someone give me a quick breakdown of what does the Utopia DLC give you as compared to the free patch that was released with it? I get there are those megastructures, but what else?
I'm thinking of buying the game, but from what I've read the mid-to-late game can be hollow in vanilla. Is this DLC practically essential in order to fix this, or has it been more or less fixed with the free patch content?
You get to actually build Megastructures. The 1.5 Patch doesn't do that.
The Hive Mind Ethic is is open for use by the player, plus its own exclusive civics.
You can also choose several Ascension Perks with the DLC. What that means.. Might as well just google it.
And other minor things.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 632