Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678191 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6135 on: March 15, 2018, 12:05:39 pm »

Hard to tell how different it is without seeing it in action, between reduced WE gain and the 2 year grace period, you might almost never see a situation that's utterly idiotic.

That said, making the utterly idiotic outcome rare doesn't mean the outcome stops being idiotic.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: March 15, 2018, 01:43:59 pm »

It feels like their own first idea was bad (WE instantly ending the war) so they went and implemented a better and more obvious idea (WE giving penalties) but did it really freaking poorly (I think anyone could have seen before implementation that giving people the ability to lock others into a war with WE penalties was a terrible idea.) and then instantly gave up on the better idea and turned back to their first bad idea instead of trying to make the better idea actually work.

You should have been able to negate the WE penalty by offering Status Quo to the enemy, or not get them unless the enemy offers Status Quo to you and you refuse. That way you preserve the ability to keep on fighting if it's worth it in penalties to you, but no one can lock you into penalties just because they aren't ready to end the war yet and you can't surrender because they are fanatic purifiers or something.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: March 15, 2018, 04:13:40 pm »

That could also work but I think goes against what Wiz et all are trying to do with WE. Namely differentiate between short brawls for land and big, empire-ending clashes and stopping the former from always turning into the later. Having WE scale much better based on the goals/type of war would be a big step forward for that and probably better than fiddling with 100% WE behaviour until that is finalized.

Spoiler: Pointless Rambling (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: March 15, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »

The other side not accepting surrender or other empires joining the war against you raising the Exhaustion cap makes sense. Your people are still as tired of fighting, but it's also becoming more clear that not fighting is not an option.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: March 15, 2018, 04:28:37 pm »

That could also work but I think goes against what Wiz et all are trying to do with WE. Namely differentiate between short brawls for land and big, empire-ending clashes and stopping the former from always turning into the later.

It certainly doesn't do it any worse then the current system. Your solution looks... Well, pretty complicated. Which a complicated solution very likely is the best one, but it's at least understandable why it's not done. I just don't understand why they not only want to go with simple solutions, but simple bad solutions when there are other solutions that seem obviously better and are similarly complex that they aren't even trying.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: March 15, 2018, 04:46:38 pm »

to what end tho? it prevents many classical sci-fi situations (like bug crusade after buenosaires was hit with a meteor etc)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: March 15, 2018, 05:06:00 pm »

It certainly doesn't do it any worse then the current system. Your solution looks... Well, pretty complicated. Which a complicated solution very likely is the best one, but it's at least understandable why it's not done. I just don't understand why they not only want to go with simple solutions, but simple bad solutions when there are other solutions that seem obviously better and are similarly complex that they aren't even trying.

To be fair, I'm probably massively over-complicating my explanation. Handling a bunch of edge-cases at the same time doesn't help make it clear either. You could easily summarize it as 'Global WE that scales with how fucked you are if you lose'. But if I did then it wouldn't be pointless rambling, would it?

For what the Stellaris team is trying to achieve, I think there's no simple solution to it. Players usually want to fight every war to the utmost, so they rarely end wars without being obviously outclassed or enforcing their demands. So having a war end without being a war to the death is hard to happen naturally or in an enjoyable way. So Wiz et all are going to have to complicate their solution. The question is mostly how and how much. Hopefully they eventually stumble upon one that everyone can enjoy.

to what end tho? it prevents many classical sci-fi situations (like bug crusade after buenosaires was hit with a meteor etc)

To allow more limited conflicts. Slow down blobbing until better wargoals are acquired. Allowing smaller empires to better resist a larger one from annexing them. And a few others I'm probably missing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:09:41 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: March 16, 2018, 10:33:45 am »

Decided to show off a bit of the game I'm in right now. It's been shaping up interestingly.

Spoiler: The Great Hall (click to show/hide)
Dwaaaaarves Iiiiiiiin Spaaaaaace! You can see the core of the empire here. I built out a solid area to work in and then went for habitats and megastructures. We have a very large population now, and quite mixed with races from all over the galaxy. You can still see the remnants of one of the Marauder clans off to the west. The Eastern one was up against the galactic center, but got wiped out at some point while I wasn't looking.

Spoiler: The Galaxy (click to show/hide)
Here you can see the galaxy over all. The Scourge has taken the entire NW corner of the map. Before they arrived most of that was owned by the sliver of teal just north of the brown and red empires to the west. The red empire to the north was also considerably larger before they arrived, and there were a few small splinter & vessel states in the area that no longer exist. Also of note, there used to be an Awaken Empire up there but they proved to be nothing more than a speed bump against the swarm.

Spoiler: The Factions (click to show/hide)
There are, essentially, two major factions in this empire (not counting the swarm). My Grand Alliance is the vast swath of purple taking up most of the South & East. I've focused more on helping my allies expand rather than build out myself so I'm much smaller than most of them, though still the most powerful by far. The Sanguine Coalition is the red group on that map, excepting the far SW bit which is actually a FE that seems quite content to let the swarm devour everything while they sit in their little hideout.

There is also that green bit to the north of me, a Hivemind. I was at peace with them for a very long time, until my SE neighbors finally joined the Alliance. They had been warring off and on with the Hivemind most of the game and getting the worst of it every time. Once they had a very powerful set of friends, we quickly waged several wars to not only gain back all of their lost territory but took a large chunk of hivemind territory in the last war. The arrival of the Scourge ended all that before another war broke out.

Far to the West is an isolationist empire (the brown one) that has held out alone for quite some time. The Scourge has only recently started doing any actual damage to their empire. We can only hope that they can hold out a bit longer, as we have no real way of getting ships that far over to help.

I expect, should we defeat the Scourge, that we'll win the game shortly after the crisis ends.

Spoiler: The Northern Holdings (click to show/hide)
One of two enclaves I have outside my core Empire. This one was a pair of worlds taken from the hivemind in the war right before the Scourge arrived. My initial plan was to use it as a base of operations (I installed a Gateway on the system with a Gaia world) to carve out a nice little area and help the next war against them. Once we'd pacified the area I was planning on setting the area free as a vassal state. With the arrival of the Scourge this has become a staging point for the northern fleets. The Gateway has proven instrumental in allowing me and my allies a way to quickly get fleets up there. The stations there also have Shipyards and provide a lot of the reinforcements on their own.

There is nothing of note in this system. It was a pirate stronghold for much of the game, unclaimed by the weak empire that bordered it and not useful enough for anyone else to claim. But when the Scourge arrived I saw an opportunity, and sent out a small fleet to clean out the system and claim it. Then I built up a formidable Citadel here and installed a Gateway. This the Bastion against the Scourge, and the first real line of defense between it and any of our actual systems. It is surrounded by a fragmented set of nations that splintered off from their home empire, leaving several 1-2 system empires. A few of those have joined us, the others are now vassals to various other powers. The home empire, the Concordant Of Dir, is part of the other Federation. A more worrying aspect, I suppose, if the galaxy wasn't in Crisis right now.

It is the jump off point for our Western Fleets, and should the Scourge get down this far should be a fairly defensible point as I can pump reinforcements in quickly using the Gateway. It's defensive systems are also all specifically tailored to be strong against the Scourge ships.

Spoiler: The Front (click to show/hide)
This is the line I am holding against the Scourge. They push, we push back. Sometimes we send fleets deep into their territory to strike at weakly defended systems. Sometimes they push forward and we have to push back. Sometimes we can't for a while, and entire planets are infected and their people destroyed.

We have Cleansed many worlds with our Neutron Sweeper Colossus. We expect to cleanse many more.

For now, we are holding. As our technology and those of our allies continues to improve we fare better and better against the invaders. I hope that someday this threat will be destroyed.

But for now, we are the Dwarves. We come from the Mountainhome, and we will not stand idly by while this threat consumes our Galaxy!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: March 18, 2018, 12:14:57 am »

So ive got this "Spectral Wraith" megacreature jellyfishing its ass around in my frontier regions next to an extremely valuable system, and im wondering how much military power is going to be necessary to bring it down? It of course displays a death mask, which isnt very helpful. I have about 2.1k total military power at the moment, in pretty primitive ships (my tech and fleet power are way behind)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: March 18, 2018, 12:19:05 am »

Yeah that won't remotely be enough. You'll want to be somewhere in the realm of 50-100k for anything with a skull icon.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: March 18, 2018, 01:38:04 am »

Alright then, thanks.

I was terrified for a minute because it said it was pathing to a system for which the shortest route would be through one of my most inhabited planets and my homeworld, luckily it seems to have chosen a longer route, though i cant see it now. Do those things go after planets and pop?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:40:08 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6146 on: March 18, 2018, 08:09:05 am »

Alright then, thanks.

I was terrified for a minute because it said it was pathing to a system for which the shortest route would be through one of my most inhabited planets and my homeworld, luckily it seems to have chosen a longer route, though i cant see it now. Do those things go after planets and pop?
No they mostly just hang out at a star for a while then move on, attacking any ships along the way

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: March 18, 2018, 08:33:06 am »

Yeah that won't remotely be enough. You'll want to be somewhere in the realm of 50-100k for anything with a skull icon.

You don't need nearly that many for the wraith. "Skull" can range from around 10k to 60-70k in my experience, and the wraith is on the weaker side of skull marked enemies. I think probably around 20-30k should do it.

Although talk to the curator enclave, I can't recall if the wraith is one of the things they know about, but I think it might be. If it is you can ask them if your fleet is strong enough to take it, and you can buy a massive damage boost against it. Also wraiths are weakened by certain color of star, depending on the color of the wraith. So fighting one in that type of star is the best idea.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6148 on: March 18, 2018, 12:48:40 pm »

They're not hard to kill if you have the right ship setup. You can do it with as little as like 4k fleet power.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Man, the RNG can be HARSH in this game. I just started a new game and got to exploring. There are four exits from the little bitty cluster of 5 stars I have spawned in. On the exit to the north, there is a xenophobic fallen empire. On the exit to the south, there is a marauder empire. On the exit to the east, there is the second marauder empire. And on the exit to the west, there is a 1 system choke point with what I think is the dimensional horror (it killed my science ship without even triggering an alert). All I have in this little blotch of space is the 2 auto generated planets, one of which is too close to the fallen empire to actually make use of. I normally don't restart due to bad starting conditions, but this one takes the cake - I would be getting hit constantly by the marauders and not be able to expand at all.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:25:11 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6149 on: March 18, 2018, 08:19:32 pm »

Hardest thing about the wraith is just tracking it down. The bugger rolls around all over the place
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 632