Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678131 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7005 on: September 06, 2018, 03:22:56 pm »

Humanoids species pack and Distant Stars pack just got some new free content btw: https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1037749722038067201

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: September 06, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »

Any detailed info on what has been added to Distant Stars? Trying to find it, but no luck.

EDIT: This is all I could find.
Quote from: A Paradox Dev
The intent of this is to more fully flesh out several of the key anomalies and events in Distant Stars, especially those relating to the L-Cluster.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7007 on: September 06, 2018, 05:11:53 pm »

Any detailed info on what has been added to Distant Stars? Trying to find it, but no luck.

The intent of this is to more fully flesh out several of the key anomalies and events in Distant Stars, especially those relating to the L-Cluster.
They haven't detailed everything, just that there are apparently some new outcomes for L-Cluster and some new events. Listing them would kind of spoil it tbh. I'm sure you could look through the files to find out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: September 06, 2018, 05:16:35 pm »

They haven't detailed everything, just that there are apparently some new outcomes for L-Cluster and some new events. Listing them would kind of spoil it tbh. I'm sure you could look through the files to find out.
I was hoping for info on the lines of how many new event chains of each category, rather than the exact nature of those events.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: September 06, 2018, 06:39:39 pm »

I do remember people finding the content if that DLC quite underwhelming when it came out. Hopefully this does something to alleviate that.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: September 06, 2018, 06:47:03 pm »

I do remember people finding the content if that DLC quite underwhelming when it came out. Hopefully this does something to alleviate that.

I've had a dead L-Cluster every time, so it's just a free if slow bunch of gateways for me and I usually forget it's there.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: September 06, 2018, 10:01:18 pm »

As I recall, one of the things they mentioned in passing on the forum was that they regret making the "good" outcome of the L-Cluster so boring, so I'd imagine at least some of the new content will include something along those lines to address the dead cluster outcome. 

Well, I hope so, at least.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: September 07, 2018, 09:12:37 pm »

So I'm fighting a federation and they keep taking back those cruddy little outposts I zig-zagged through on my campaign of fire and doom. I decided to punish them for their insolence with my new design, a defense platform I call the Speed Bump.

It has massively underleveled shields and armor but the highest damage output weaponry I could muster. Whenever I take a  sacking runty little outposts I like to leave one or two behind. They won't hold the system against any kind of real fleet but they tend to kill ships without giving them a chance to retreat. Since I went pure offense they cost half as much as one of my standard platforms in minerals and upkeep. Every system they take back means 2-3 ships, they're reducing occupation but it's costing them a lot of war exhaustion they aren't getting back.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: September 07, 2018, 09:28:19 pm »

How much of a difference does it make to skimp on armor and shields?  Were you competing with the weapons for power, or just trying to minimize cost?  Unless something changed, defense platforms don't cost minerals to upkeep, but I guess cutting costs to build them helps when they're likely to die soon after the shooting actually starts.

In my last game I was tempted to see how many repeatable techs it took to get a bastion to the point it could handle a fallen empire fleet.  The Contingency corrupted the ancient caretakers, and they kept attacking me (to no avail), but I was curious how well my 50K bastions would fare against their 80K fleets.  Probably not too well, but if I took the ascension perk for extra platforms, slapped on a defense grid super computer and then started actually researching the +10% platform damage techs, maybe eventually they'd kind of be able to handle one fleet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: September 07, 2018, 10:36:57 pm »

How much of a difference does it make to skimp on armor and shields?  Were you competing with the weapons for power, or just trying to minimize cost?  Unless something changed, defense platforms don't cost minerals to upkeep, but I guess cutting costs to build them helps when they're likely to die soon after the shooting actually starts.

In my last game I was tempted to see how many repeatable techs it took to get a bastion to the point it could handle a fallen empire fleet.  The Contingency corrupted the ancient caretakers, and they kept attacking me (to no avail), but I was curious how well my 50K bastions would fare against their 80K fleets.  Probably not too well, but if I took the ascension perk for extra platforms, slapped on a defense grid super computer and then started actually researching the +10% platform damage techs, maybe eventually they'd kind of be able to handle one fleet.

Platforms don't have any mineral upkeep but they do take energy. Cutting the armor and shields meant less build cost and energy per month and also let me use a cheapo power source, the energy consumption and the mineral cost are both half of a standard platform. They're totally disposable because either they're going to be destroyed the first time they see combat or they're going to survive and then be a pain in my ass when I have to take the system back. During my last war I had to get by on selling research agreements to stay out of the red.

I never really think of bastions as stand alone defense, I typically just use them as a place it really sucks to fight.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: September 08, 2018, 03:02:27 pm »

The speed bump has been effective enough that it's changed my doctrine. I'm now slapping the biggest possible guns on all my ships, I don't hit as often and it's cost me a few fights but I'm not longer fighting decade long wars where nobody dies.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7016 on: September 08, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »

Wiz is doing one of his little LP things on Twitter.

He's playing as a race of Pingus.
NOOT-NOOT

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: September 08, 2018, 09:07:09 pm »

The speed bump has been effective enough that it's changed my doctrine. I'm now slapping the biggest possible guns on all my ships, I don't hit as often and it's cost me a few fights but I'm not longer fighting decade long wars where nobody dies.

Yeah, I think this is common practice now, for that reason.  Battleships with gigacannons and neutron launchers are good for that, because they give fewer chances for enemy ships to disengage.  Most of the players on Paradox's forums seem to disdain defensive stations in general, but they seem to favor the station aura that decreases enemy disengagement chances.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: September 08, 2018, 09:54:59 pm »

Yeah, I think this is common practice now, for that reason.  Battleships with gigacannons and neutron launchers are good for that, because they give fewer chances for enemy ships to disengage.  Most of the players on Paradox's forums seem to disdain defensive stations in general, but they seem to favor the station aura that decreases enemy disengagement chances.
I've been using the FTL debuff from stations, black holes, and Titans and even all of them put together pale in comparison to just outfitting all of your ships with the biggest guns possible. I mean there's a lot of fun you can have setting up different designs to counter different things but there's no combination of techniques and tactics that works better than BFG all day every day.

I mean it kind of bums me out because I really like designing fleets. I spent more time in X3 with a calculator working out how to outfit my carrier group than I did playing the game. I was intimidated by the ship designer, I spent a while reading about all the different mechanics and devising different fleet compositions and occasionally when I was out doing things I'd have an idea and I'd be all excited to get back home and play. It's really annoying that the emergency retreat mechanic means that the optimal strategy for any ship in any role is basically always the same.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:02:15 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: September 08, 2018, 11:02:41 pm »

I've been using the FTL debuff from stations, black holes, and Titans and even all of them put together pale in comparison to just outfitting all of your ships with the biggest guns possible. I mean there's a lot of fun you can have setting up different designs to counter different things but there's no combination of techniques and tactics that works better than BFG all day every day.

I mean it kind of bums me out because I really like designing fleets. I spent more time in X3 with a calculator working out how to outfit my carrier group than I did playing the game. I was intimidated by the ship designer, I spent a while reading about all the different mechanics and devising different fleet compositions and occasionally when I was out doing things I'd have an idea and I'd be all excited to get back home and play. It's really annoying that the emergency retreat mechanic means that the optimal strategy for any ship in any role is basically always the same.

Well, in Vanilla at least.  With something like New Ship Classes or something similar, the situation may prove to be different.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 632