Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678094 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7140 on: October 19, 2018, 07:56:45 am »

the absolute madman...

wiz finally drops a good twitter spoiler

this is one time i'm willing to drop my realism objections

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: October 19, 2018, 08:27:03 am »

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1052937138231279617

I'm hoping this is them announcing the release date.
I hope it's a cure for alzheimers that researchers have decided to announce in the weirdest possible way.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: October 19, 2018, 10:52:53 am »

strangely alluring

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7143 on: October 19, 2018, 11:04:21 am »

Time to start remixing abominations, let's see what the chef can cook

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: October 19, 2018, 11:28:38 am »

I'm hoping that the "able to procreate" clause only checks the species policy, because it'd be hilarious to have half-synthetics get the Cybernetic trait.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:31:14 am by Trekkin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: October 19, 2018, 12:34:27 pm »

The true tragedy is that some people would indeed reproduce with a towering stack of fungus, given the opportunity
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: October 19, 2018, 12:44:34 pm »

I think it's sweet as long as I don't think about the details.  At all.
I would have assumed it was just consumer-grade artificial gene splicing except the blurb kinda... hints otherwise.  Or maybe they're talking about sleep schedules, yeah.

Huh I just realized the obvious real-world parallel.  You know they produced viable embryos from two female mice recently?  Probably a coincidence though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: October 19, 2018, 01:30:40 pm »

I think it's sweet as long as I don't think about the details.  At all.
I would have assumed it was just consumer-grade artificial gene splicing except the blurb kinda... hints otherwise.  Or maybe they're talking about sleep schedules, yeah.

Huh I just realized the obvious real-world parallel.  You know they produced viable embryos from two female mice recently?  Probably a coincidence though.

Oh, it has to be much more than that. There's no guarantee that any two species encode heritable information in the same polymers, let alone have interoperable translation apparatus, so even generating a hypothetical genome is an inherently arbitrary process. Actually translating that into a viable organism also requires dealing with any chemical incompatibilities between completely foreign metabolisms -- and without just making them mutually inert, since that will mess with everything from transcriptional control to environment sensing even if the parents' gross physiological parameters are a sufficiently close match for all the chemistry to work simultaneously in the first place.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: October 19, 2018, 01:45:07 pm »

Oh yeah it's definitely some sci-fi magic happening.  One of the default fungi races can grow up to a mile or more in diameter I think?  I have no idea what a human-fungus hybrid would even conceptually be, given effortless design tools.

I guess that's why there are blorbs with human DNA, and humans with blorb DNA.  The two hybrid races are presumably as incompatible as any other humanoid and fungus.  It might be just an aesthetic/cultural thing...  Blorbs with human faces genetailored onto them, perhaps.  Humans with tendrils?  Maybe some sort of fungal symbiote like our gut flora, but more so...

It's probably whatever we choose to imagine, heh.
Edit:  Oh but I guess it does give extra gene points, so I'm leaning towards the symbiote concept a bit.

"Potent Horatio sauce" - am I doing the meme right?  I still need to play Endless Space...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:46:46 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: October 19, 2018, 02:04:42 pm »

That moment when your daughter tells you she's been dating the fun guy, and you realise she didn't mean Steve, your neighbour standup comedian, but the mile-wide immigrant mycelium squatting under the sewage treatment plant.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: October 19, 2018, 02:32:13 pm »

That moment when your daughter tells you she's been dating the fun guy, and you realise she didn't mean Steve, your neighbour standup comedian, but the mile-wide immigrant mycelium squatting under the sewage treatment plant.
I guess I'm gonna need a bigger shotgun to make sure he gets her home by 11.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: October 19, 2018, 02:40:26 pm »

"Dad, where are you going with those 50 tonnes of fungicide? Dad? Please don't, I love him! We're gonna have a baby... spore... thingy?"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7153 on: October 19, 2018, 03:44:26 pm »

I just clocked that it's an ascension perk, which I don't like at all. It should be a technology thing that everyone should be able to have, not barred by ascension (why the hell can two species interbreed in one empire but not in another empire? Immersion breaking). The tech should progress from interbreeding within a graphical culture group, to interbreeding between the graphical culture groups. So you move from humanoids <-> humanoids, to humanoids <-> literally everything, instead of immediately going to literally everything <-> literally everything with an ascension perk. Idealliest it would be based on trait & graphical culture and not necessarily tech or ascension perk at all and it'd just be a natural occurrence

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: October 19, 2018, 03:47:44 pm »

Possible response:

1) All cultures do not allow such things. I can't see a culture embracing both slavery and interbreeding (actually, now that I've considered that, there should be a check against that).

2) The technology requires a special scientific focus, like genetics or cybernetics.

3) There is no natural occurrence that allows a gecko-man to mate with a mushroom.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 632