Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678250 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8550 on: March 31, 2020, 07:09:10 pm »

You can both restrict people from working some jobs, forcing them to work other jobs that would normally be lower priority, and you can mark jobs as high priority, forcing pops to fill those jobs ahead of all others.

Yes, and it's a terrible way to almost do the thing I want to do. If I could say X pop works Y job I could then ignore it until something cataclysmic happened. Under the current system I have to add back jobs when my population grows and stare at my prioritized enforcer job wondering if the gold marker is just a present to assuage my hurt feelings while the job remains vacant. It also provides no way for me to control which species work which jobs and while I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff under the hood around pop assignment I'd really appreciate veto power for when it fucks up or just when I find a certain mix more thematically appropriate.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: April 01, 2020, 02:19:54 am »

That's one thing I miss about the old system of pops and tiles. You could micromanage who did what just by dragging and dropping. Put the pops with the industrious trait on the mineral tiles, and so on. I also seem to recall being able to enslave and purge individual pops as opposed to entire species, and even if it may not have had much practical use, I count the removal of a 'fuck this guy in particular' button as a net loss.

That reminds of something odd I witnessed back then.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8552 on: April 01, 2020, 07:41:29 am »

Maybe the gestalt pops could survive for as long as the independent hive mind stellar swarm existed? Autonomous, but not separated from the hive mind?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: April 01, 2020, 10:20:36 am »

That could be it, but I think it's more that the hive-minded pops skipped a check when they were displaced from onto my worlds, which normally isn't possible. If the game finds a gestalt pop in a non-gestalt empire, then purge. Displacing must have skipped the 'find' part, but after I conquered the Ravager's worlds, the game 'found' some gestalt pops to purge.

It's a real shame, if gestalt consciousnesses could mingle better with normal pops I'd consider playing them more often. Less like rogue servitors or assimilators and more like a normal empire that went for synthetic ascension. But nope, all we get are borg and zerg because we absolutely must stick to the tropes.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: April 01, 2020, 12:00:05 pm »

My hive mind is lonely and wants to invite a few billion friends over.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: April 01, 2020, 12:26:13 pm »

People might get a bit creeped out when a sector-sized organism invites them to live in it.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: April 01, 2020, 01:53:32 pm »

I'm suddenly reminded of the archeology dig where you discover that the tunnels you're digging in were originally a planet-spanning worm which had a civilization develop in its guts, only to be killed by indigestion when they discovered this and tried to kill it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: April 01, 2020, 02:15:57 pm »

That's pretty cool.  Somehow I don't think I've seen that dig site yet.  That is something I'll say for Ancient Relics: I've seen every anomaly a dozen times, but I'm still coming across dig sites I haven't seen.

Also, now that I've mostly completed a game, I can say with some confidence that the AI is smarter in this version.  It's still nowhere near a human who understands the game, but the empires I've looked at closely seem to be doing a much better job with their economy.  The war AI also seems a lot smarter and organizes real death stacks now instead of just suiciding fleets one at a time at the enemy.  I'm seeing the Contingency routinely group together 2M fleet power for its offensives, which I've never seen before.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: April 01, 2020, 07:53:21 pm »

That's one thing I miss about the old system of pops and tiles. You could micromanage who did what just by dragging and dropping. Put the pops with the industrious trait on the mineral tiles, and so on.
Yes... but it was obnoxious and pop growth/balance meant you couldn't reliably get the pops with the industrious trait to exist on the right world in the first place.

I count the removal of a 'fuck this guy in particular' button as a net loss.
The loss of meaningless fuck you buttons is always tragic, yes.

Also, now that I've mostly completed a game, I can say with some confidence that the AI is smarter in this version.  It's still nowhere near a human who understands the game, but the empires I've looked at closely seem to be doing a much better job with their economy.  The war AI also seems a lot smarter and organizes real death stacks now instead of just suiciding fleets one at a time at the enemy.  I'm seeing the Contingency routinely group together 2M fleet power for its offensives, which I've never seen before.
My experience is "smart enough not to ram into my defensive station with the fleet nearby, dumb enough to go aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way around letting me snap up territory while they're busy instead."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:08 pm »

That is something I'll say for Ancient Relics: I've seen every anomaly a dozen times, but I'm still coming across dig sites I haven't seen.

The other thing about archeology, which may not be immediately obvious, is that some dig sites can have different outcomes from the same base site. That adds some longevity even once you've seen everything, just because you don't always know what the outcome will be this time around.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: April 02, 2020, 11:17:29 am »

Finally am having a successful game. I decided to re-make the very first empire I did when the game launched, since I had luck with that one, but also slap onto them the Hegemony start.

And boy the Hegemony start is good. Sure, you miss out on the two guaranteed colony worlds, but having two minions friends at your back more than make up for it. I've also used the hegemony CB to create new empires (with my ethics and who auto-join the hegemony) out of my non-complying neighbours and have just finished gobbling up a Determined Exterminator empire that was squatting in the SW corner of the galaxy. Just after taking out the Exterminators, the neighbouring megacorp that was being bullied by them spontaneously asked to become my vassals.

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: April 02, 2020, 11:31:05 am »

Is it bad that I can look at the blank spots on that map and tell where the fallen empires, marauders, and leviathans are at a glance?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: April 02, 2020, 11:39:10 am »

Is it bad that I can look at the blank spots on that map and tell where the fallen empires, marauders, and leviathans are at a glance?
The Marauders are the little black empire in the top-middle. The blank spot in the left side is indeed a fallen empire, xenophobes. The area near me in the bottom is just empty space that I am going to claim eventually.

Looks like one of my hegemony partners declared war on the Assimilators near them. I was planning on doing that, anyway, but wanted to upgrade my fleets first. Oh well.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: April 03, 2020, 11:43:40 am »

Finally am having a successful game. I decided to re-make the very first empire I did when the game launched, since I had luck with that one, but also slap onto them the Hegemony start.

And boy the Hegemony start is good. Sure, you miss out on the two guaranteed colony worlds, but having two minions friends at your back more than make up for it. I've also used the hegemony CB to create new empires (with my ethics and who auto-join the hegemony) out of my non-complying neighbours and have just finished gobbling up a Determined Exterminator empire that was squatting in the SW corner of the galaxy. Just after taking out the Exterminators, the neighbouring megacorp that was being bullied by them spontaneously asked to become my vassals.

Yeah, Hegemony feels strong. And even if it's not strong, it's just much less hassle. Yes, I could conquer and manage all these planets myself, but I'll settle for just letting the AI run them and having it build 70% of its fleet power for me.

But I'm guessing it's legitimately strong, actually. Mostly because it leverages Admin very well, it's a very efficient method of conquest with the Hegemony CB. The federation fleets are also highly efficient, because they ignore fleet cap size and automatically use the best technology among all federation members.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: April 03, 2020, 12:13:07 pm »

Yeah, Hegemony feels strong. And even if it's not strong, it's just much less hassle. Yes, I could conquer and manage all these planets myself, but I'll settle for just letting the AI run them and having it build 70% of its fleet power for me.

But I'm guessing it's legitimately strong, actually. Mostly because it leverages Admin very well, it's a very efficient method of conquest with the Hegemony CB. The federation fleets are also highly efficient, because they ignore fleet cap size and automatically use the best technology among all federation members.
Yup.

The latest development was the Khan arising... and promptly taking a wormhole into the former Exterminator's territory (now a bunch of my federation members that I released). And I can't do shit against them because they're rocking at least 40k in fleet power while I can maybe scrape 20k.

I feel like the Great Khan event fires way too early, since in every single game I played it has always popped before anyone can really stand a chance against him. Guess I'll just use some of my federation as a buffer until the Khan dies naturally.
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 632