Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677307 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8700 on: April 24, 2020, 02:08:26 pm »

I have to wonder why the tooltips aren't automatically generated from the job configs.  This keeps happening and it at least seems like the sort of thing that should be possible to do.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: April 24, 2020, 05:49:51 pm »

why is such a pain in the ass to use fleet automatic reinforcements? is there any mod to make it better or at least slightly more reliable?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: April 24, 2020, 06:03:06 pm »

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Edicts Rework?  I dunno, maybe its just me.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: April 24, 2020, 06:37:06 pm »

It depends on how it's handled. I'm not in love with what they're proposing, but I'm also not in love with the current system where there's a bunch of options you eventually are renewing every time they expire. Adding to the significance of influence doesn't thrill me, though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: April 25, 2020, 12:21:51 am »

I don't really like the changes all that much either.  It feels like what they're proposing is... policies.  Like, how is it different if you are setting something that's ongoing?  It just costs influence now.  And it's mixed in with the unity ambitions and campaigns that are increasingly different from edicts but still stuffed in the same window.

I don't hate it, but just kind of don't care I guess.  I'll echo what I read on their forums and say I'd much rather see a tradition rework.

why is such a pain in the ass to use fleet automatic reinforcements? is there any mod to make it better or at least slightly more reliable?

I wish I knew, because like everyone else, I keep having issues with it.  The big issue I'm having is that if you try to reinforce your fleets while in battle, the game inevitably decides that your ships are unreachable and just plops the new ships at the shipyard in new single ship fleets that you then have to send over manually and merge manually, which involves fixing the fleet size later and disbanding the fleet you just merged.

From a developer's point of view I understand how they came to compromise on this system, but it's still a massive pain to use.

Is there a key or way to tell fleets to merge like the fleet manager does?  The only way I know how to do it is to drag and drop ships, which does annoying things like leave the empty fleet in the fleet manager and increase the destination fleet's ship count, potentially well beyond the fleet command limit.  If there was a way to issue a merge that didn't do that, I'd complain much less.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: April 25, 2020, 01:07:52 am »

I'd be less mad if they just named these dropped reinforcement fleet "reinforcement for X" then you'd know where to send them, and it would make it bearable if dropping reinforcement would change the total ship count, so that you wouldn't always have mergers fail for over capacity

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: April 25, 2020, 10:16:29 am »

Is there a key or way to tell fleets to merge like the fleet manager does?  The only way I know how to do it is to drag and drop ships, which does annoying things like leave the empty fleet in the fleet manager and increase the destination fleet's ship count, potentially well beyond the fleet command limit.  If there was a way to issue a merge that didn't do that, I'd complain much less.
Select the fleets you want to merge and click the Merge Fleet button or "G" key.  There are no location restrictions, though you may want to double-check which fleet the game decides to merge the selected fleets into: I think it prefers fleets with custom names and older fleets first.  For my part, I didn't even know you could drag and drop ships between fleets in the fleet manager.  I try to handle the fleets directly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:18:18 am by Culise »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: April 25, 2020, 04:08:39 pm »

It depends on how it's handled. I'm not in love with what they're proposing, but I'm also not in love with the current system where there's a bunch of options you eventually are renewing every time they expire. Adding to the significance of influence doesn't thrill me, though.

I don't really like the changes all that much either.  It feels like what they're proposing is... policies.  Like, how is it different if you are setting something that's ongoing?  It just costs influence now.  And it's mixed in with the unity ambitions and campaigns that are increasingly different from edicts but still stuffed in the same window.

I don't hate it, but just kind of don't care I guess.  I'll echo what I read on their forums and say I'd much rather see a tradition rework.

I guess the real problem is that it continues to burden the Influence resource, which is generally the rarest resource in most stages of the game.  It's the manpower resource of Stellaris.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: April 25, 2020, 06:14:12 pm »

Yeah. And since they changed expansion to be province based vs the more organic(imo) system of before, they can't really change how influence works in terms of gaining it, because then you'd unbalance the early game's expansion.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: April 25, 2020, 08:03:09 pm »

Select the fleets you want to merge and click the Merge Fleet button or "G" key.  There are no location restrictions, though you may want to double-check which fleet the game decides to merge the selected fleets into: I think it prefers fleets with custom names and older fleets first.  For my part, I didn't even know you could drag and drop ships between fleets in the fleet manager.  I try to handle the fleets directly.

I don't know if you can do it from inside of the fleet manager, since I was just talking about dragging and dropping them between selected fleets out in the galaxy / system view.

I'll give the merge button / G key a try though.  I must have overlooked it before.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: April 26, 2020, 10:11:55 am »

Yeah. And since they changed expansion to be province based vs the more organic(imo) system of before, they can't really change how influence works in terms of gaining it, because then you'd unbalance the early game's expansion.

They can, but it would require adding in late techs or suchlike that add influence. They already do this early on by having that one single tech that adds influence.

Or they could make "internal influence" separate from "external influence", which would probably honestly make more sense given how vague and fungible influence has become.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: April 26, 2020, 01:15:21 pm »

Don't overlook the endgame Ascension edicts like I tend to:  They're pretty affordable, and there's one that gives +5 influence/month for its duration.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: April 26, 2020, 02:05:03 pm »

Well, I had the smart idea to play as a Militarist, Authoritarian, Xenophobe, thinking that my neighbors would then be peaceful, egalitarian, alien-lovers.  One was a Federation Builder...and the other an Honorable Warrior.  And slightly further out were all xenophobe authoritarian.  I pushed the Militarilist to dump one of the others, and get the Authoritarian dumped.

My massive plan to get neighbors that were decent folks that would band up against me, and whom I could then reform myself and join too, failed.

I understand why people play various forms of purgers, because they're all assholes in Stellaris.  Lots of respect for the hivers and assimilators, at least they understand its the governments and not the aliens (mostly).

...and of course, I prefer building to fighting, so being ultra-miltarist is actually pretty weak.  I'm going to start a war just to tech up from enemy salvage.  Maybe I'll break out into open space, might lose an uncolonized system, but whatever.  Give my people what they want I guess.
Yeah, I don't know why, but it definitely feels like Xenophobic Authoritarians are overselected for in my games. They're bloody everywhere.

On a different note, anyone else notice that Primitives who advance to FTL during the span of the game *always* get the enlightened origin - even if nobody was in their system the whole time? It's throwing me off a bit that primitives don't get their own Origins.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: April 26, 2020, 02:47:28 pm »

Don't overlook the endgame Ascension edicts like I tend to:  They're pretty affordable, and there's one that gives +5 influence/month for its duration.

...while becoming Yet Another Edict that you just auto-renew every time it expires. Because it's bought with Unity, and that has 0 other use at that point.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to say there's a number of things that would make as much or more sense to be a function of Unity than of Influence.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: April 26, 2020, 06:10:38 pm »

...while becoming Yet Another Edict that you just auto-renew every time it expires. Because it's bought with Unity, and that has 0 other use at that point.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to say there's a number of things that would make as much or more sense to be a function of Unity than of Influence.

Agreed.  I unlock over half the traditions before I even qualify for half the Ascension perks.  I'm full up on Boost Research, Increase Fleet Size, and other rather meaningless +1 that perks because I can't get anything else.  Tempted on my next game to just replace every unity boosting building with something else (probably either research or admin).

And I'm NOT happy that every upgrade requires RARE substances.  Yes, I can trade for them, but why am I bothering?  Am I getting such a clear boost that its worth the extra expense?  So every planet that wants one facility to be boosted needs a resource that I'm lucky to have one of in my galaxy.  And that crap clogs up my research slots so bad that I really can't even avoid it.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 632