Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52

Author Topic: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set  (Read 428834 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.03v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Bugfixes)
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2014, 04:33:35 pm »

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
At the bottom of the map is a conifer forest, but only one default 'pine' conifer forest tile isn't replaced by individual tree tiles, it's above the elves.
At the top of the map is a marsh with grass/bush tiles.
Most of the map is swamps, but half of the swamps have the default 'willow' swamp tile, in the other half the default 'willow' tile is completely replaced by individual tree tiles.
I don't understand the process.

I'll be odd man out, I like the center tile.
I also prefer the center tile. I've been thinking of creating a square tile with rounded corners to replace or supplement the current pillar tile. It would be more appropriate for
Edit.: the mushroom core tile than either the center or trunk tiles. IMO
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:48:34 pm by Phoebus »

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2014, 04:40:38 pm »

It would be more appropriate for
for...?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2014, 09:20:54 pm »

Seeing as the two primary problem tiles are the Willow and Palm/Weight tiles, I'll just use those two tiles for tree leaves. The problem will fix itself. Occasionally we'll see some pine here and there, but I'm sure we can live with that.
+7 free tiles.

While I'm at it, I'll upgrade the sapling tile. And I'll create a flower tile with a leaf background for trees.

So that leaves 7 "¿".

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »

Phoebus, do you have any intention in using the Text-will-be-text plugin, to get more tiles?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »

I need to know what you think about this map style. Is it better? Worse? Acceptable?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Phoebus, do you have any intention in using the Text-will-be-text plugin, to get more tiles?
Depends of the cost/benefit. Requiring every Phoebus tileset users to use the plugin is very restrictive.
If I maintain a version of the tileset that does not require the plugin, then plugin users can also use that version, or a slight modification to it.
If the plugin reaches the point that it's clearly superior (stable, no gamemode limitations, etc.) to vanilla for the vast majority of Phoebus tileset users, I'll migrate to TwbT.
Until then, I think it's wiser to stick to vanilla.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:43:11 pm by Phoebus »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2014, 10:08:40 pm »

I think you need more contrast between the two leaf/canopy tiles.

The other concern I have is that you're loosing the distinction between the four forest biomes. So maybe have 4 different canopies, one for each kind of forest.

Another thought: how would the shrubs, saplings and pine trees with dark leaves in the backgrounds?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2014, 11:27:19 pm »

I think you need more contrast between the two leaf/canopy tiles.

The other concern I have is that you're loosing the distinction between the four forest biomes. So maybe have 4 different canopies, one for each kind of forest.

Another thought: how would the shrubs, saplings and pine trees with dark leaves in the backgrounds?
Saplings represent shrublands, not forests, and are used ingame. Shrubs represent many non-forest biomes, and are also used ingame.
I could add a leaf background to the pine tree tile.

Swamp is easy to identify without a specific tile, it's a mix of forest and shrubs. Only the willow and mangrove are pure swamp trees, yet many other trees can spawn in swamps. So I don't think it's worth using a tile for a single tree and an unreliable biome identifier only used in map mode.
Conifer forest are bugged, they are everywhere yet are full of non-conifer trees. But I can't reuse the conifer tile because it's also an up arrow tile, so I was already kept using it for conifers anyway.
Tropical trees could have their own tile. I think that's a good idea.

I'm going to improve the contrast between the leaf tiles.

Thank you for your input.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2014, 11:41:21 pm »

I need to know what you think about this map style. Is it better? Worse? Acceptable?
Please do not quote the image.

Depends of the cost/benefit. Requiring every Phoebus tileset users to use the plugin is very restrictive.
If I maintain a version of the tileset that does not require the plugin, then plugin users can also use that version, or a slight modification to it.
If the plugin reaches the point that it's clearly superior (stable, no gamemode limitations, etc.) to vanilla for the vast majority of Phoebus tileset users, I'll migrate to TwbT.
Until then, I think it's wiser to stick to vanilla.
I think that's an improvement to the world map and I really like the style. 

Regarding TwbT - you don't have to require it at all.  I've set up Phoebus graphics with TwbT as the default in the 34.11 Starter Pack; the difference is adding a pure text tileset, item tiles, and the overrides config (which should be standard for vanilla).  You can get more out of it by removing text from the map tileset to get more usable tiles - and thus requiring TwbT to be playable - but that can wait since it would mean maintaining two distinct sets. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2014, 12:05:57 am »

A mix of normal and tropical trees, with a few conifer tiles in the NW.

I think that's an improvement to the world map and I really like the style. 

Regarding TwbT - you don't have to require it at all.  I've set up Phoebus graphics with TwbT as the default in the 34.11 Starter Pack; the difference is adding a pure text tileset, item tiles, and the overrides config (which should be standard for vanilla).  You can get more out of it by removing text from the map tileset to get more usable tiles - and thus requiring TwbT to be playable - but that can wait since it would mean maintaining two distinct sets.
That makes sense. I could just make a few tiles to take advantage of it without making the tileset dependent on those tiles. For those who wish to use them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:43:25 pm by Phoebus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2014, 12:15:05 am »

Twbt would allow you to add more tilesets, without altering the "normal" Phoebus set. Its an addition for people that want it, it wouldnt necessarily affect the tileset you release now in any way, if you dont want to.

Options are for example a font/text only tileset, or overrides for items or specific buildings/constructions. For example the hardcoded bins, which look like an X, or the hardcoded coffins that look like an 0, can be given unique tiles. The tiles on the Phoebus tileset would still look like X and 0, but in the additional tileset you would have special graphics for them.

If people play without Twbt, this second tileset will simply do nothing. It can also be installed, enabled and disabled on the fly, without genning a new world.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:27 am »

I like the first map more.  Looking forward to the tiles!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2014, 01:13:55 am »

Looks good.

The suggestion with the pine was not to change it to a canopy, but to put a canopy behind it. Like so:

Speaking of which, I wonder if it'd be better to make all the direction arrows be rotations of this tile. It'd make it more consistent. This is nothing to do with DF14 though.

Aydjile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:47 am »

Is it better? Worse? Acceptable?

way better! +1
Reality exists is only in our imagination.

Мой канал о жизни крепостей из Дварф Фортресс - https://www.youtube.com/user/Aydjile

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »

Jungle Tile vs Palm
vs
Palm+Forest A vs Palm+Forest B

I like the first map more.  Looking forward to the tiles!
I can't contextually figure out which first map you are referring to.

Looks good.

The suggestion with the pine was not to change it to a canopy, but to put a canopy behind it.
I understood the first time, but can't I be lazy? Why can't I just be lazy?

Speaking of which, I wonder if it'd be better to make all the direction arrows be rotations of this tile. It'd make it more consistent. This is nothing to do with DF14 though.
Nope. I would turn the pine into an arrow before I would turn the other arrows into pines.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:09:37 pm by Phoebus »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »

Jungle Tile vs Palm
vs
Palm+Forest A vs Palm+Forest B
I like the second image best. You can make out the palms best there, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52