Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 52

Author Topic: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set  (Read 428213 times)

Midboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.07v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New Human Monarchs)
« Reply #240 on: August 11, 2014, 12:37:26 am »

It would be nice if there was a unit from the race showing as the civilization icon in embark mode like a lowly peasant for a village and a king for the capital or an option to customize this in the phoebus tileset assembler. I had no idea the cabinets represented goblin settlements until I started doing some research for this post.

Version 40 of dwarf fortress seems to choose dwarven icons in the legends historical map for dwarven races and so on but I would like to be able to tell on embark rather than remembering where everyone extends their power when switching to embark mode. It also seems that on world generation it describes what race inhabits which settlements but then the historical map no longer describes which race is in the settlement.

Please implement this suggestion.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 11, 2014, 09:54:01 am »

It would be nice if there was a unit from the race showing as the civilization icon in embark mode like a lowly peasant for a village and a king for the capital or an option to customize this in the phoebus tileset assembler. I had no idea the cabinets represented goblin settlements until I started doing some research for this post.

Version 40 of dwarf fortress seems to choose dwarven icons in the legends historical map for dwarven races and so on but I would like to be able to tell on embark rather than remembering where everyone extends their power when switching to embark mode. It also seems that on world generation it describes what race inhabits which settlements but then the historical map no longer describes which race is in the settlement.

Please implement this suggestion.
No.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2014, 10:42:33 am »

Maybe another suggestion?

All tilesets except Ironhand have some duplicate wall tiles. Literally the same graphics, although they are used differently in the game. Some of the are wall-to-wall and other are wall-to-natural-rock. Your set has 4 tiles that exist 3 times, looking the same, although they could look different and would improve the look of a fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did a quick mock-up with paint to show exactly what I mean:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suggestion: Make 8 new tiles for the ones I mentioned, and blur the most common inorganic/rock tile you have into these walls, so that you have a natural, flowing progress from smoothed wall to natural rock wall.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:28:17 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2014, 03:20:21 pm »

Is there any reason why the graphics set could not be used on versions 40.05 through 40.08? It's labeled as 40.07 only, but is that really the case?

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2014, 03:28:04 pm »

You could probably use it on those versions. Idk why you'd want to as it was more buggy in previous versions and dwarf therapist has been updated now to the 0_40_07 version. If you really wanted it to be compatible though you'd just add everything but the raws/objects folder.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:05 pm »

well... to answer the question about whether it could be used from 40_05 to 40_08 depends on if anything was changed in data or raw between those versions that affect creature tiles.

at least with 40_07 and 40_08 nope.  So the 40_07 phoebus data/init folder can be copied over a 40_08 installation

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »

The only thing that needs to be updated then is the title of this thread? :D
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2014, 06:00:23 pm »

Is there any reason why the graphics set could not be used on versions 40.05 through 40.08? It's labeled as 40.07 only, but is that really the case?

Some of Toady's bug fixes include changes to the raws. If you use raws from an older version, you don't benefit from the bug fixes.  However, the latest release from .40.07 to .40.08 only has a new binary exe. the raws were not changed.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2014, 06:04:54 pm »

Some of Toady's bug fixes include changes to the raws. If you use raws from an older version, you don't benefit from the bug fixes.  However, the latest release from .40.07 to .40.08 only has a new binary exe. the raws were not changed.

yes, exactly.   My point was I hit up on a winmerge comparison between the two folders before my post.

It's entirely trivial.  Open up winmerge (free app), and compare two folders.  If nothing in creature*.txt or plant*.txt or .\data changed, you're good.

But it makes more sense after a while, because Toady documents his file changes apparently.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:09 pm »

Correct, the 40.07 graphic set is compatible with 40.08.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.40.08v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (DF Version Updated)
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »

*Updated* 0.40.08v00
Updated to Dwarf Fortress 0.40.08.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.08v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (DF Version Updated)
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2014, 08:01:13 pm »

*Updated* 0.40.08v00
Updated to Dwarf Fortress 0.40.08.

Good job!  ;D

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:24 am »

Thanks for the tile set, it is my favorite. Just one question, is there some trick to stop strings from overwriting parts of the UI? i.e. the blank area that sometimes extends out further than the end of the string.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2014, 10:04:10 am »

Thanks for the tile set, it is my favorite. Just one question, is there some trick to stop strings from overwriting parts of the UI? i.e. the blank area that sometimes extends out further than the end of the string.
No. TrueType helps a bit, try pressing F12 ingame.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:44 pm »

Is there anyway to make the swarm of flies show up as anything but tile 177? In creature_insects they are tile:250 but they don't show up as it, and if you add them to the graphics, graphics_nwkohaku_bugs for example they still don't show up as anything different. Not that it really matters.  :'( I think they probably carry the miasma around with them maybe which gives them the tile 177.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 52