Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new  (Read 5472 times)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ReWolf31:
<STRONG>1: begin fortress, horribly naive...
2: everybody DIES
3: begin fortress, slightly less naive...
n: PROFIT!!</STRONG>

Sounds like my plan.  :) I'll try my darndest to keep'em alive, but it'll all end in tears, I know it.

Once I get the hang of surviving, though, I'll try settling cool or weird locations, and see what kind of crazy 3D designs and dwarfy contraptions I can make. Yay physics!

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2007, 07:09:00 am »

I wonder how good the physics are? I think I'll try to go 2 units deep and then carve out an ENORMOUS empty cavern. My main fortress will be suspended in the very middle of this space by a thin rock thread, somewhat like a beehive.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2007, 08:40:00 am »

How will you deal with hydration, Name Lips?

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2007, 09:18:00 am »

Easy, waterfalls with bridges to syphon off water into storage tanks...

Anyway, my impenitrable fortress:

This is simmilar to Nilocys design but its just coincedence :P

Im going to start in the plains with a large river running through it then follow these steps:

1. divert river and build stone aboveground work town.

2. dig huge ass hole as far down as I can go without too deeping or whatever

3. construct three towers to my own design with rewall and the stone I have quarryed, one shal have farms and storage, the seconds shal have manufactureing and the third will have residential and the safehouse.
Each tower will be conected to eachother and the land around with draw bridges and have a small balista/marksdwarf bunker mounted on top.
Each tower will also have the bottom most layer mined to form stilts, this will alow water to flow under them and stop anyone from digging up into the fortress.

4, construct greenglass tubes connecting each tower, these will be used to move from tower to tower, at the same time build the windows, floodgates and pressuredoors.
These floodgates will be positioned to flood farms and provide the ability to flood the whole tower section by section if required. pumps in a smaller tower alongside each main tower will provide the ability to remove the water.

5. destroy above ground town and divert the river back to its origional course, this will flood the hole and help provide an impenitrable defence.

6. In the event of a seige, the dwarfs will retreat into the safehouse, if the seige is small, my army will man the bunkers and fight them off, if the seige breaks throigh this defence and somehow gets onto a tower, the tower is flooded till the invaders drown.
The dwarfs in the safehouse will have acsess to food and the pumps so that they can reclame the fortress after the seige.

Oh, each maintower will be sectioned off into three parts each, so that if only one needs to be flooded the rest of the fortress can still opperate.

About the only way I can think of breaking this place is to climb down the pumps, but that can be avoided by flooding the pumps from the bottom and then pumping lake water upwards

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

You mean for farming? There will be a carefully constructed channel on the surface leading to a 1-tile wide hole. This narrow waterfall will decend into a single-square-wide opening somewhere on the "roof" of the beehive, filling up my resevoir. A series of floodgates and channels will release water for farming.

If the resevoir fills up, the water will start cascading down the side of the beehive, which some of my dwarfs can witness looking through their windows.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

It'll be intesting to see if we have to defend against enemies that can tunnel or fly. Kind of changes the strategy a bit.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »

has there been word about when the new version will come out?

PTTG?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://2funnyguys.com
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by elipsis:
<STRONG>has there been word about when the new version will come out?</STRONG>

Yes, actualy, three and a half words:
"when it's done"
And that falls somewhere between two weeks to 50,000 years from now.

But anyway, can't wait to build a Dwarven Biodome, a sphere of rock emerging from a mountain, bristling with defences, and containing a tight network of passages, farms, forges, and more built around a centeral core of a pure adamatine Vault of Tusks and Doom. The only way I think that that's possible is if we just get a stop-gap cave-in rule like: If this here rock not be attached to the ground somewheres, it go down, bubba.

.@..**@.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

Another idea i just thought of. I'd prolly find a place with some sort of waterfall/river. I'd dam it up, creating a massive lake. And use that to wash away all my enemies. Or, have fun mucking around with the new water physics and stuff. Just making smaller rivers and stuff... will be quite fun to see what happens.

I'd prolly end up diverting the river around the area i'll damn up, i.e building an underground passage. Like the do irl. And the once my damn/lake walls are finished i'd let it fill up and stuff... the dwarves get their own little boating pond aswell :P

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

I want to build some skylights, or maybe whole rooms of glass like PTTG's biodome; I wonder if big fliers would be able to break the glass and get in?

Skylights might be a bad idea til we can make metal grates...hm.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by elipsis:
<STRONG>has there been word about when the new version will come out?</STRONG>

As was said, "when it's done."

But the "to-do" list is getting very, very short.

And we're assuming that it will be done when the to-do list is empty.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

It's unclear to me how cave-ins will work in the new version. Does it still collapse if it's larger than 7x7 (in the xy-axis  :p)? In the 'draining a pool' video for example there was a huge area the didn't collapse. Was it because it was a 'natural' cavern, or has the cave-in "rules" in fact changed?

But the first thing I'm going to do... Like many other said: find new creative ways to get killed  :p .

Another thing is to find a cave river and ... redirect it! I'll dig a channel for the water to flow, and then collapse the original route. It's going to be legen-DARY!

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure at that point there were no cave-ins in the code, so it may just be that. Not sure how natural caverns like that will work, though, maybe they will be exempt, maybe they'll always form within the rules, who knows? It would be pretty cool if you couldn't build a big room without supports, but if you found a big natural cave, you could use it. You know, it just happens to have the exact right geology to be a huge cavern...or something.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »

What would be nice would be an "auto support" feature, which could be enabled or disabled by the player. Whenever you select an area to mine, certain squares would turn blue to indicate where supports are automatically going to be placed to prevent a cave-in.

Alternately, it could be set to automatically turn your selection deadly RED when you've selected too large of an area. You could still mine it out if you want to... but you're accepting the possibility of a cave-in.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Name Lips:
<STRONG>What would be nice would be an "auto support" feature, which could be enabled or disabled by the player. Whenever you select an area to mine, certain squares would turn blue to indicate where supports are automatically going to be placed to prevent a cave-in.

Alternately, it could be set to automatically turn your selection deadly RED when you've selected too large of an area. You could still mine it out if you want to... but you're accepting the possibility of a cave-in.</STRONG>

You just need to keep focused when ordering mining tasks  :p

/me walks away whistilng like he hadn't caused a cave-in a moment ago :.

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10