Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Warhelm: Spartan Fortress (community)  (Read 4982 times)

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhelm: Spartan Fortress (community)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 09:11:28 pm »

So.... when's the next update coming?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »

Soonish. I'm having to wait long periods in between zombie slayings for "rest and recuperation", which takes forever without medical care, so in the meantime, I think I will copy the world and find some historical events that happened to the civ (the roughness of selling) to tell tales about.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 12:38:07 pm »

Soonish. I'm having to wait long periods in between zombie slayings for "rest and recuperation", which takes forever without medical care, so in the meantime, I think I will copy the world and find some historical events that happened to the civ (the roughness of selling) to tell tales about.

lol. I feel really dumb right now. I thought I had already posted chapter 4; this will make much more sense now.

Also, THIS FORT WILL NOT BE ABANDONED! I WILL NEVER SUCCUMB TO AN INVASION! NECROMANCERS NUMBERS WILL COUNT FOR NOTHING! BECAUSE THIS! IS! SPARTA!!!!!!!

Anyhow, on with the story...

Chapter 4: Doom

~~~
The three soldiers stood facing the staircase, weapons in hand. A human corpse stumbled down from the level above, not noticing them until it was too late. Another one came following it, and before the spartiates could attack it, a black furry shape burst out of the staircase below, savagely bashed the zombie against the wall, and retreated back to whichever floor it had come from. Darkmaul was just turning to ask Peregarrett if he knew what it was, when more thumping was heard. At an unspoken command, all three ran up the staircase together.
As he broke into the sunlight, Peregarrett was stunned. He had no idea that there were so many zombies! They came from all directions. Soon he was back to back with Darkmaul, fighting off the advancing waves of enemies. He slashed the corpses to pieces, but almost immediately they rose up again, animated by one of their necromancing commanders. ‘That vampire should be here by now!’ thought Peregarrett. As if on cue, Zas ran up from the staircase, ignored by the zombies, driving of the necromancers with her spear. The corpses stopped rising, but there were still too many to fight. Udil, the speardwarf, was swarmed by a dozen corpses and went down beneath their sheer weight, fighting to the end. Darkmaul’s flew past Peregarrett, who was helpless to stop a zombie from killing him with a punch while he was unconscious. Then an undead dwarf finally got a lucky strike in, hitting his hand and forcing him to drop his shield. With just a sword, he stood no chance. Then it too was knocked from his rapidly weakening grip, and he went down under a horde of the undead. The zombies swarmed down the stairs, slaughtering the helots and women that came to fight them. The fortress was ended.
Except for one dwarf.
Zas Tomusid, Vampire.
~~~

The Writings of Zas Tomusid

The brave dwarves who defended this place have fallen bravely, but in vain. The necromancers, before I killed them, brought back almost all the dead as zombies, including Peregarrett, Darkmaul, and Udil.
I am now forced to live in an abandoned fortress, surrounded by despicable undead creatures. I have started to purge the halls, but there are just too many strong zombies right now. I am only able to slay lost arms and the like.
A partial skeleton managed to get a lucky shot in and broke my right floating ribs. I went to the hospital to rest the injury, but now some insidious force has taken hold of me and I cannot get up from my bed. Perhaps once my ribs are fully healed I will have the strength to fight it, but for now I must wait.

===
Stupid broken bones. Takes forever to heal without splint, and there isn’t exactly anyone who can put a one on Zas. That’s irritating.
===

While I lie here helpless, a ghost has decided to vent his rage at being kept from the afterlife at me. He somehow, despite lacking corporeal form, managed to tear my right lower arm off. I felt no pain, and it barely seems real; perhaps I am merely dreaming. I do not know.

===
Uh oh. Violent haunt. Not good. Please heal faster, ribs!
===

Ever and anon, I hear squawks and cries, quickly silenced. All the zombies have left the lower halls for the surface, and I assume that they are tormenting whatever wildlife they can get their decaying hands on. I shudder to think what would happen if I were not a vampire. When I first became one, as punishment for speaking out against Nish Kolozram, I felt it a curse, but it has saved my life many times, but at the cost of banishing me from society.
With this final reflection, spring has come, bringing no new hope for the foundering fortress of Warhelm.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:12:18 pm by ShadowHammer »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 01:44:28 am »

How does a broken rib harm a vampire?  Those things don't feel pain!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 01:50:35 am »

Also, THIS FORT WILL NOT BE ABANDONED! I WILL NEVER SUCCUMB TO AN INVASION! NECROMANCERS NUMBERS WILL COUNT FOR NOTHING! BECAUSE THIS! IS! SPARTA!!!!!!!

If Sparta had as much undead as Warhelm, Xerxes may have thought twice before invading. :P

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 05:03:39 am »

Truly epic stand!
Spoiler: First (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: And then (click to show/hide)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 01:53:27 pm »

Chapter 5: The End
Perhaps there is hope for the fortress, after all! Unlooked for, three goblin ambush parties arrived. The bowmen slew at least fifty of their undead foes before they were finally destroyed in melee. While they are cowardly thieving creatures, the goblins may yet be our salvation.
~~~
Gozru, goblin captain, advanced slowly up the hill, almost the exact same way that his comrades two years earlier had. No word had ever come back to the dark fortress about what happened to them, but Gozru was certain that his force of bowmen would do better. Almost immediately upon entering the dwarves territory, he sensed something was wrong. He crept forward, and found a mutilated dwarf corpse lying on the ground, rotting. He was about to call back to his soldiers to come investigate when, without warning, the corpse rose up and attacked him! He wrestled it to the ground, yelling goblin curses, and then four arrows thudded into it, and it once more went still. He ran back to his squad, calling out orders, as an army of zombies crested the hill behind him. The bowmen reloaded and fired another volley, running back and forth to confuse the obviously slow witted undead creatures.
Gozru, not wanting to be outdone, rushed the foremost zombie. He struck at it with his spear, feeling the sharp copper head slide through muscle and fat. When he pulled it out, he expected to see his enemy fall over, dead once more, but instead it punched him in the shield arm, fracturing the bone. He stabbed again in quick succession, and it finally was deanimated. Gozru stood his ground before the oncoming wave of rotting corpses, but was soon overcome by the evil strength that dark magic gave to these foul undead monsters.
His bowmen too stood firm in the face of the enemy, keeping up a steady barrage towards the advancing foes. The arrows seemed able to slay the rotting foes in a single hit, but there were only so many in a quiver, and once they ran out, the goblins didn’t last long in melee. They had given a good fight, killing nearly a quarter of their 230 foes, but in the end, there were 167 zombies left, and 9 goblin corpses feeding the earth.
~~~
A forgotten beast has come!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had hoped that the zombies occupying the fortress would go to fight it, but at the same moment, three more goblin ambushes came, distracting them. A few of the undead went down to face it, but were mercilessly slaughtered by the beast. I can hear it now, thundering up the staircase towards me. I hope that it will pass me by and go to the zombies on the surface, but I know that it is a vain hope.
I, Zas Tomusid, Dwarven vampire, will finally pay for my crimes. Hundreds of murders, finally avenged. I was the last dwarf of Warhelm; now there will be none. The beast shall slay me, and then join the battle raging on the surface. Who will win, I do not know; 170 zombies, 12 goblins, or 1 forgotten beast? Whoever emerges victorious shall have the right to boast that they broke the strength of the Spartans of Warhelm.

~~~
The adventurer emerged from the necromancer’s tower, eyes blazing with rage. The story would not end that way. The dwarves did not die in vain; their legacy would live on forever. The adventurer set off towards the mountainhomes, heart filled with determination to seize Warhelm from the victor of the final battle. Though all the goblins, zombies and forgotten beasts of the darkness below should stand against him, he and his kinsmen would emerge victorious and reclaim what was theirs. He strode through the wilds filled with such confidence that every monster and enemy he passed slunk meekly back into the bushes, not daring to attack this fearsome foe. Warhelm would be retaken!
~~~

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 12:00:03 am »

So, undeads were taken off by goblins and finished by forgotten beast who also killed the last dwarf vampire. Holy carp, that's awesome.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »

Sorry I'm taking so long with the next update; the weather has been nice so my mom is forcing me outside, because
Quote from: my sister
if you stay downstairs playing dwarf fortress all day, you'll turn into a mushroom!
But I should be able to get it done by tomorrow.

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 10:49:23 pm »

Yeah I hated tht eventually she just gave up.

Also Id like to be dwarfed as the bookkeeper or manager or both or if not that a mechanic or craftsdwarf
Named Spirallances
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 12:48:44 pm »

Urgh. Turns out that I wasn't informed of some family plans, so I may take even longer with the update than I thought. Sorry about the wait. *grumbles into his imaginary beard about the annoyance of being social*

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 03:44:38 pm »

One of the joys of being an adult is that YOU define what "Being an adult" means.  Such as becoming a mushroom, or saying "fuck it" to your Phd in mathematics in order to make the most complicated roguelike in existance...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »

===
I had to try this several times, because when I first reclaimed, there were ~60 zombies lying in ambush, and this happened:

That would have been a rather ignoble end for Ranz.
===
Chapter 6: Reclaim
The Journal of Shadowhammer II
After two months of lobbying the monarchy to authorize a full scale expedition to Warhelm, I finally gave up. I managed to get together a group of 3 followers, along with their helots. There are seven of us in total. I decided to take the name of the late expedition leader Shadowhammer, and one of the women has decided to do the same with Lalasa. When we arrived at the destination, I was shocked at the absurd amount of clothing strewn all over the ground. No doubt a pack or two of kobolds has been scavenging through the wreckage.
There are still many zombies wandering around, and Lt. Alfred and I, both proficient with our chosen weapons, didn’t wait for them to attack; we took the battle to them.
~~~
Lt. Alfred looked around. In this fortress, with all its nooks and crannies, there was no way to be sure where the next zombie would spring from. He had already paid the price for letting his guard down; an undead elf had snuck up on him and cut open his arm. He walked up the stairs, ever wary. Then a shuffling noise started up behind him. He tensed, but kept looking forward, pretending to be oblivious to the rotting enemy sneaking up behind him. He continued admiring the smooth, reflective surface of the wall, and when the zombie was close enough, he whirled around, blade at chest height. His foe was a human, though, so instead of tearing through its chest, the lieutenant’s blow disemboweled it. He followed up the stroke with a bash to his enemy’s head, and then it finally went down after a punch to the right arm.
He turned wearily away from his fallen foe, leaning against the wall. Then, without warning, he was thrown violently against the staircase. Using the human as a distraction, this elf, who had clearly retained some of its sneaking skill even in death, had managed to ambush him. He turned and fought it, all the way up the stairs and onto the surface, finally managing to end its undeath with a desperate last stroke. He managed to drag himself back to the stairs, and then passed out from pain.
~~~
Lt. Alfred was found unconscious on the stairs of the fortress today. He was quickly rushed to the hospital, but no one in this fortress has any experience with healing. Kadol, a helot, foolishly took it upon himself to attempt to care for him, but his surgery failed, and now Alfred is dead. I was about to sentence him to a hammering, carried out by myself, but I was saved the effort. The ghost of Warhelm’s first healer rose, tore off Kadol’s leg, and then drove him insane. This act of just retribution put him to rest without the need for a tomb.

===
That’s odd. He literally rose, battered Kadol, and then was put to rest, without any sort of memorialisation. Huh.
===
At this point, the writing in the journal changes. An unknown author has taken up the story.
Shadowhammer was found dead in the caverns. No one saw him die, but from the bites in his armor, it is clear that he was slain by a cave crocodile. Perhaps he was trying to save our periokoi, who was found a few steps away, having met the same fate.
Some migrants have arrived. Only one of them is a Spartiate. His name is Ranz, and he wields a mace. Another one who will likely be useful once we get all the mess cleaned up is Beneviento. He is a clayworking periokoi with a knack for bargaining; he will make and sell trade goods to keep our economy thriving.
A dwarven caravan has arrived. They told Beneviento that the trees were too thick to manoeuvre wagons through, and if we wanted more goods, we’d have to cut a path through them. It is too late this year, but maybe in the spring we will. On a similar but unusual topic, I was helping haul crafts to the Depot, and when I got there, I noticed a few odd pieces of junk that were set out, including human bone crowns, dwarf bone earing, and amulets made out of hair. I’m no expert on trading, but who would buy these? I informed Beneviento of my opinion, but he assured me it was fine.
Well, it turns out that I was right and Beneviento was wrong; the merchants wouldn’t even consider buying the human bone goods. He insisted that they were in style at the mountain homes, but the traders wouldn’t buy it.
===
For some reason, the dwarfs won’t bring the crafts to the depot; they’re listed as pending, but no one is making any attempt to retrieve them. Maybe because they’re unethical?
===
We have finally begun the massive project of moving all the corpses to a refuse pile. Some idiot decided to put it in the mines, but by the time I noticed his error, it was too late to change it. I forbade all the corpses on the surface, to prevent any grumbling about the sunlight.
Something has been in the back of my mind for this whole year, and I finally realized what it was: every dwarf in this fortress has silver eyes! I have never seen so many people of any race that have the same color of eyes in one place before.
Kadol, lying forgotten among the piles of the dead, has taken revenge. He arose as a ghost, violently battering Lalasa in the middle of the dining room. She bled to death within seconds. I had already commissioned a memorial to put him to rest, but now I will have it built, put him to rest, and then, when magma is found, I shall take the slab and cast it into the fiery deeps.
Before this year ends, I have decided to designate a mineshaft to be built, down to the 100th level. Granite was soon struck and next year, I will have the miners dig through it in search of valuable gems.

~~~
Beneviento was in the soldier’s barracks admiring the workmanship of the training stand when he heard the first scream. He rushed into the hallway in time to hear the sounds of battle on the surface. Instead of charging like a fool into combat, he ran down the stairs to find the rest of the citizens, thinking that perhaps he could assemble a squad of helots to help. Then he realized: there was no one left in the fortress. They had all run to the surface to fight whatever enemy was attacking the fortress.
Beneviento had reached the dining room by the time the noises of combat ceased. He quickly retreated into the barracks, thinking to excuse his absence from the fight by telling the other dwarves that he had been so focused on his combat drill that he hadn’t noticed the alarm until it was too late. A flimsy excuse, especially considering he wasn’t even a soldier, but better than being labelled a coward.
He heard footsteps in the hallway, probably from an injured soldier judging by the stumbling gait. He walked out of the door and found himself face to face with a dwarven skeleton. The undead dwarf seemed completely unsurprised to find a living enemy here, and began raining blows down on Beneviento. He tried his best to defend himself, but soon this corpse was joined by others: a one winged raven, a rotting elf, and even the original fortress’s broker, Brag. They all crowded through the doorway, and in no time they had filled the room, leaving no space to dodge into and nowhere to run. Beneviento died well, fighting to the last, but nothing could have stopped the onslaught of these undead. Warhelm had finally truly fallen, never to be retaken again. The land was said to have been accursed, for so many Spartans to have died upon it, and never again did a dwarf set foot upon the territory claimed by bold, doomed Shadowhammer.
~~~
This is the last page of the journal, and the end of the short lived but valiant fortress of Warhelm.

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:37 am »

Well that was anti climactic why didnt you jut lock them in then not deal with the zombies?
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:54 pm »

That's cowardly! Spartans would never leave an enemy unfought in front of their gates! What do you think this is, Athens?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4