Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Perfect computer for DF?  (Read 5473 times)

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect computer for DF?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 01:34:34 am »

And will only be helpful if Toady decides to rewrite the whole game to handle multithreading :P
Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 05:54:39 am »

With Murphy's Law, PCs with that amount of power will soon be readily available.

And you can shove in too much RAM - the CPU has to address all of it, and it can reduce performance by consuming CPU cycles.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 06:15:19 am »

With Murphy's Law, PCs with that amount of power will soon be readily available.

And you can shove in too much RAM - the CPU has to address all of it, and it can reduce performance by consuming CPU cycles.
It actually doesn't matter how much you shove it in.  The general limitation is the OS (how much can OS handle).  Other then that, memory addressing itself tend to not be the issue (memory address can be stored/sent as a single integer, 32-bit machine can address about 4GB, 64-bit can address an un-godly amount of memory)..

However, the issue may-be your memory bandwidth.

EDIT:
The point I'm trying to get at is that the cost of encoding/decoding address is negligible compared to the bottleneck created by the memory bus and hard-drive paging.  The first can be alleviate by spreading your memory across however many memory slots you have (6 slots for most modern machines, if I remember correctly), the second can be alleviated by having a lot of memory.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:17:30 am by sweitx »
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 06:37:20 am »

I sincerely hope you meant Moore's law.

Unfortunately when it comed to DF performance im afraid Murphy's law will just awfully make sense...
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 06:40:03 am »

serious: there are few places on earth as funny as hardware related posts in game related forums XD

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 06:47:14 am »

On a second thought i would be quite interested if someone could have some detailed i7 perfs. And i dont care about embark FPSs. I can embark on my P4 just fine!

What id like to know is how an i7 copes with like a 200 dwarf fort , 2-3 waterfalls, powermill, magma-wall entrance,tens of mils of created wealth,etc . We'd really need a bencmark sticky thread with some sample forts.(saw a couple ppl mention this already)

fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 09:21:57 am »

On a second thought i would be quite interested if someone could have some detailed i7 perfs. And i dont care about embark FPSs. I can embark on my P4 just fine!

What id like to know is how an i7 copes with like a 200 dwarf fort , 2-3 waterfalls, powermill, magma-wall entrance,tens of mils of created wealth,etc . We'd really need a bencmark sticky thread with some sample forts.(saw a couple ppl mention this already)
i'd be interested in a "benchmark savegame" too. I just got a new i7 laptop and would like to see how it behaves. However i got a lot of work at the moment so i can't really play a DF game until things get interesting enough to test FPS.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:50 am »

I agree, lots of times people say yeah the computer on my desk is flashing weird colors at me and the hard drive on the side of the computer just makes a buzzing whirring sound. 

At least people stopped calling 3.5" floppy disks "hard disks" because they were hard, compared to 5.25" inch disks.  Then again many people using computers today have probably not seen such things.
igless

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:52 am »

I have done. When I was young I had my dad had a 286, with green-screen display, and a 5.25" floppy drive. It didn't have Windows on it, but it did have a few classic games: 3-Demon, Alley Cat, Test Drive, Sopwith, Tetris, Police Quest...
I'm not actually that old, some of those were made before I was born!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:24 am »

The good ole' DOS days... I also played a lot of games when I was a kid that were made within a year or two of me being born.

Considering I'm not particularly old, feeling nostalgic seems out of place somehow. My family still has that old 386, gathering dust in a corner of the garage, seriously doubt it still works XD
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 11:17:32 am »

Hang on, where'd the topic go? We can't have wandered that far away without noticing, it has to have run away from us! Damn, we'll never catch it now.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 12:25:26 pm »

damn!
 i googled bout that turbobutton, and i found some pics. im totaly sure my computer has such one button, too. sadly, its broken and will crash my computer :(

Hang on, where'd the topic go?

to me it seems this topic was about how much we need a sticky benchmark thread an an automated launcher/framecounter..
people seem to talk computercrap if they can not just post a benchmark result.

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 12:48:09 pm »

I miss the turbo button... of course doubling the clock rate on current CPUs would not have what one could call pretty results XD
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 01:06:22 pm »

turbo never doubled the clockrate.
it divided it (often by 2) to achive compatiblity to the first ibm-pc´s because many programms ran to fast with faster cpus.
most likly you can have your clockspeeds divided by 2 with your bios in case your nostalgic feelings shuld get stronger.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:08:28 pm by motorbitch »

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 03:01:17 pm »

My mistake, heh. Must have been confusing the divide with multiply XD

And if my nostalgic feelings grow, I have DOSbox :P
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells