Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Enter the Gungeon - Isaac meets Nuclear Throne?  (Read 25460 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Enter the Gungeon - Isaac meets Nuclear Throne?
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2016, 03:17:12 pm »

That's pretty cool.

I seem to have hit the competency tipping point. Went from rarely being able to get past the 2nd boss to routinely getting to the 3rd floor and just now got down to the 5th floor for the first time. Had a great synergy set of items early on that made it possible, though. Comm4nd0 (fires homing rockets), Potion of Gun Friendship (Increased damage and knockback for a while), and the Drum Magazine (clips hold more shots). Being able to fire off super powered homing missiles in 6-shot clips let me Flawless several bosses and get through those fights pretty easily. Also got a passive that slowed down enemy bullets on the 3rd level, I think, which also helped a ton. Those plus quite a few decent guns for room clearing made for my best run yet.

Died due to traps on the 5th floor, sadly, but it was a great run. Unlocked quite a few things and learned a lot about the lower floors for the future.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »

Gun Friendship also improves your reload rate by a decent amount. I know it worked super well with an RPG once, for bosses especially since it almost removed the biggest drawback that thing had and allowed me to pelt the bossess with explosions very quickly.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2016, 12:16:18 am »

Second run, smashed a Winchester Rifle, which has high damage but low RoF, and a Luxin Cannon, which rapidfires energy balls and can be charged for a huge shot, together to create the Corsair, which fires a sail-propelled round that sails around the room before exploding.

mfw

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel like me and this game are going to get along just fine.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2016, 12:32:31 am »

Corsair is so visually distracting that it causes me to get hit.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2016, 12:35:27 am »

You don't actually smash the guns together in the Muncher, it's just a way to discard two guns you don't need (or don't have the ammo for anymore) to get one new gun. Otherwise, yep. Plenty of fun guns to be had. :)

I think the Corsair gun would be even more fun if the main projectile fired broadsides at enemies it passes by. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:20 am »

Also fun is the bait launcher. Especially when you've got that (one of the?) item that makes your bullets larger.

I was definitely somewhat startled the first time a giant tiger jumped onto the screen and mauled something to death.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2016, 09:18:36 pm »

Just learned something cool. The Hunter's dog barks at mimics.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2016, 09:37:30 pm »

The only time I've ever been killed (not wounded, killed) by a mimic was when I found that out.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2016, 11:53:51 pm »

They also twitch a bit whenever you're standing close to them (or you can just take a pot shot at every chest to be safe).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2016, 12:20:32 am »

Yeah, it's not a big deal. But I thought it was a nice touch.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2016, 12:32:23 am »

I actually quite like mimics. It's much easier to fight them than find keys, especially when you find that one hidden room. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2016, 01:07:34 am »

Well, I can definitely say that there's a skill-based component to this game - when I started, I died horribly to all the bosses.

Now, I'm nearly guaranteed to pick up the first master chamber, pretty much regardless of drops. Second and third chambers I've got this horrible talent for getting hit exactly one time killing the boss - apparently just to make sure that when/if I get down to level 4 and 5 I'll promptly keel over and die.

I've now managed to see the orcish gun merchant three times, and all three times I've managed to be short on shells, so I still have yet to bring him to the Breach.

Current clear count is now 50+/34/14/4/0 at 44 hours played, and still loving the game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2016, 11:00:04 am »

I need to get better at not dodge rolling into bullets. I die far more often than I should because of that.
Come play Mafia with us!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »

Man, can't feel more like an ass than right clicking to roll around in Stardew Valley. Maybe the similar style of art confused my meatbrain?

EDIT: And to clarify why I felt like such an ass, I didn't try to roll just once. Let's just say there was some confusion whenever something came at me for a good half hour or so.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:03:37 pm by Man of Paper »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2016, 06:38:55 pm »

Finally got around to doing a fairly proper cheat run. Rainbow chests every room for the fifth floor and endgame.  It...
Spoiler: Things got silly (click to show/hide)

Turns out you can one-shot the lich with enough powerups and a railgun. And I don't mean that weird meaning of one-shot where they mean get it in the first try. I mean left clicking three times to see all of it dead.

Also, did you know? If you have enough power-ups and guns, the chests will actually start repeating themselves. Giving you duplicate items, guns you already have (is just ammo, which was pointless in this go 'cause cheating~), etc., etc. It can cause things to get somewhat out of hand. More out of hand, 'cause things have gotten well off the rails to reach that point to begin with, but still. Bullet enlarging is actually something of a downside past a certain point -- I actually couldn't use the serious cannon by the end, ferex, because the cannonballs were too big to spawn. It was a thing.

And... yeah. That item = gun thing is... something to see when you're in a state like in that screenshot. Everytime I used an active the game hung for a little while, and then the screen basically whited out :V Regardless of the actual gun, though some were worse than others. BFG made me think I had actually managed to straight up crash the game, ahaha. Also the projectiles for stuff like the BFG or black hole gun go real damn wonky once they get big enough, apparently.

Anyway. Was fun. Would recommend if you like pretty colors everywhere.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8