Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Mouse/hotkeys usage habits

Hot...keys? I have to stare at the list for hours to find what to build/designate.  I am still in babysteps and therefore don't get a real say here.
- 1 (0.4%)
Keyboard is slow and clunky, I hardly ever use it. I use the mouse whenever possible and if I cannot use it I make a new suggestions thread.
- 9 (3.7%)
I never touch the mouse, and even if I did it wouldn't make anything easier or faster. Keyboard4lyf!
- 116 (47.7%)
I use keyboard and mouse together in harmony. I also hug trees and eat dead bodies.
- 70 (28.8%)
I am too unique to fit into any of these foolish attempts at polling choices. Good day to you sir.
- 47 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 243

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What is all the fuss about wanting to use the mouse?  (Read 7051 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: What is all the fuss about wanting to use the mouse?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »

Ideally, controls would be like autocad: commandline+hotkeys+mouse

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 03:28:39 pm »

I'm certainly right there with smjjames on the construction icon. I have a rather large construction and it fills the entire screen on my 23 inch monitor and it is very overwhelming time to time.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 04:17:56 pm »

I'm not sure what "new screen" or "new button" even is suppose to mean in this case. It could either be literally new screens he's introduced (like, the new squad screen?)

I'm pretty sure it's those, yeah.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »

I use keyboard and mouse together in harmony. I also hug trees and eat dead bodies.: 29%

OMG! So many elves among dwarves! Armok save us!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »

Oh, hush. We don't need more racial tensions. *waves iron dagger*
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 04:23:41 pm »

90% of the menus in dwarf fortress need to be replaced with mouse interfaces. Remembering every last key is literally impossible. Not joking, it's actually impossible. Maybe not for like two people. I'm talking overwhelming majority. Not that they will save a majority of newbies any struggling time.

They should still list the hotkey, after the name of course.

We also need a point and click (and click again) method of designating a length of wall too.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 04:34:05 pm »

You know what irritates me because it makes my eyes hemmorage blood? Setting a room or designation where the tiles intermittantly flash neon blue. Like dining rooms, bedrooms, studies.

Try pressing shift-D.  I never bother to try and make caravans come in from only one place, because that flashing red and green makes me nauseous after about 5 seconds.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 06:45:45 pm »

The only time I'm ever tempted to use the mouse is when the alternative is to mash keys repeatedly to get the same results as one point-and-click operation.  Otherwise, the keyboard alone is just fine to me.
Sanity is for the weak.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 06:59:35 pm »

I'd prefer the ability to use both keyboard and mouse; not just for myself, but others as well. Nine times out of ten when I ask people why they don't play DF even though they have an intense interest in the game it always falls back to the same thing.

The interface is god-awful, why can't I just use the mouse?

Plus, I'm sure I've gotten a RSI from planting down cabinets, chests, and beds in 200 quarters, then defining all those bedrooms. And a dining room for each family as well.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:33 pm »

I only use the keyboard in DF, it would be nice to have the mouse and flashy buttons you can click but doesn't have to be since it is pretty easy to use the keyboard once you learned the hot-keys.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:05 pm »

I'd like to be able to use the mouse to make fancy swatches of constructions, but in the current version I only use the keyboard.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »

I must be one of those keyboard savants mentioned by eerr. I've yet to find a time when I needed to check the DF window to find a hotkey, but all too often I stare at my keyboard for 10+ minutes thinking "where the f- did my key go?". I need to get better at this whole knowing my keyboard nonsense.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 12:01:26 am »

I don't know, the keyboard system was real hell for me for the first few weeks I played, but once you've used it enough, the keyboard system is incredibly fluid. There's a few workshops I'm still unfamiliar with (for example, I've never bothered with querns before) and I don't use the job screen or job manager much, but aside from those, everything's more or less mentally mapped out for me. If I were to use the mouse to designate digging tiles, for instance, I would have to actually move my hands away from where they are rested on the keyboard, making it much slower for me.

That being said, I can understand why adding mouse support is highly desired by some. But replacing the keyboard with mouse actions I am heavily against. I use the keyboard system way faster and more comfortably than I ever could with the mouse.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:18 am »

Keyboard is slow. To get 3 tiles left, you have to press left, left, left. Hotkeys are faster with keyboards, though.. and we have limited mouse support for designations. I usually use the mouse when making doors for bedrooms and stuff. It's a lot faster. Silly to say that you don't need the mouse at all.

But then, using the keyboard for hotkeys is the optimal way. Unless you have a hard time finding which keys are where on your keyboard, it shouldn't be a problem.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 01:08:41 am »

But replacing the keyboard with mouse actions I am heavily against. I use the keyboard system way faster and more comfortably than I ever could with the mouse.

Well then you have nothing to worry about, because I've never seen anyone advocate that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5