Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 71296 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2011, 01:18:27 pm »

In any case, what do you hope to get out of flavorfishing?

What do you think wouldn't be gotten out of flavorfishing?  I'm the one who started it, after all, and the point was to discover any commonalities in things that don't look role-sensitive.

The uninformed majority needs some information, and we might just as well try to get it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »

Flandre:  I have the most trouble reading Jim, Vector, and Ottofar, though Otto I tend to read as scum rather than town.  I think Jim could pull it off the best through sheer force of personality.
Okay. What is it about Ottofar that constantly gives you these scum readings?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 02:49:28 pm »

Vector:
In any case, what do you hope to get out of flavorfishing?

What do you think wouldn't be gotten out of flavorfishing?  I'm the one who started it, after all, and the point was to discover any commonalities in things that don't look role-sensitive.

The uninformed majority needs some information, and we might just as well try to get it.

Hard to say, given that we don't know the full implications of flavor.  I still want to hear his answer on the subject.

I'm here as a merchant, with no references to books.  Also, I'm male.

Flandre:  He is extremely succinct, tends to lurk, and almost never explains his accusations/votes, regardless of his alignment.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »

*Sigh* My double posting and badly trimmed quotes lead my to think I have come down with Panda syndrome, where as my ability to post fails when I'm tired. This will be my last before bed then.
I'm not sure what you mean by four types of roles to look our for. We know of townie/witch/miller/lyncher, right ? Unless have access to some information i'm not aware of ? Or i missed something important ?
???

Witch, witch aligned, magical and killers. How did you not know that?
What the hell are you talking about ? I understand role types as jester,lyncher, godfather,roleblocker etc. what you listed are alignments as far i know. And aside from that i read your question as "which three role types..".

Simple:  Do you agree that failure to know the townie wincon means that you're not a townie?
If it wasn't listed in the OP then i could agree. Also i believe that asking "are you scum?" isn't very efficient way to scumhunt but that's just my opinion.

Also a general question : does anybody else pm doubts the witches existence ? I find it bit disturbing.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2011, 02:55:37 pm »

If there were no witches, or at least nobody we had to lynch, we would have filled our wincons, packed our bags, and be in post game as soon as d1 kicked off.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2011, 02:57:20 pm »

If there were no witches, or at least nobody we had to lynch, we would have filled our wincons, packed our bags, and be in post game as soon as d1 kicked off.
Yeah but it's bastard game for some reason or another :P Bluh, not that we could do anything about that at this stage anyway.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »

Well there was no kill night 0, unless the scum weren't given/don't have at all a kill.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2011, 04:23:13 pm »

Thank you, Toaster. Unvote.

For those that are interested, I am the eldest son in my family. My father is a lumberjack who spends most of his time in a tavern whenever he is not working, while my mother and myself worked as farmhands just to scrape by. Maybe not so helpful, but there it is.

Max: What significance do you think the absence of a N0 night-kill has on the game, other than the possibility that witches do not exist?

FlandreWhat role you would not want to see in this setup ?

Simple: I do not find the presence of any common role particularly worrisome, but since this is a bastard game, I would be wise to brace for any unpleasant role-related surprises. An exception to this might be the Vigilante in the hands of a dumb townie, for obvious reasons. Is there a role you would not like to see, Simple?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »

Allowing a night kill before anybody has had a chance to post is a bit of a bitch slap to who ever signed up then get killed, so it seems reasonable that the scum didn't have a kill.

Having said that, there are different sorts of scum, we could be dealing with a cult, that recruits a player each night instead of killing one, or an arsonist mafia, that works by 'priming' a target each night, then igniting them all at once, leading to mass death. Both tend to be harder to spot than a normal mafia because they don't limit the number of players in a game.

Or, if somebody had a protect or block or something, we could have gotten very lucky.

And yes, that information I believe will be useful, thank you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »

Hard to say, given that we don't know the full implications of flavor.  I still want to hear his answer on the subject.
Sorry, didn't notice this before.
Umm, can I tell you after we get some more info? I don't want people to know what I'm looking for, lest they try to give me what I want to hear, or avoid what I don't.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »

Allowing a night kill before anybody has had a chance to post is a bit of a bitch slap to who ever signed up then get killed, so it seems reasonable that the scum didn't have a kill.
Do you think something else might have happened overnight to justify the existence of N0? If so, what do you think it was?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2011, 04:48:26 pm »

Maybe...
Having said that, there are different sorts of scum, we could be dealing with a cult, that recruits a player each night instead of killing one, or an arsonist mafia, that works by 'priming' a target each night, then igniting them all at once, leading to mass death. Both tend to be harder to spot than a normal mafia because they don't limit the number of players in a game.

Or, if somebody had a protect or block or something, we could have gotten very lucky.

Beyond that, I don't have a good guess as to anything else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2011, 04:58:37 pm »

Max White:

IronyOwl: Hello! Firstly, this has been bugging me because I don't know and everybody else seems to, where is your avatar from? Also, let's say you were a third party role with a wincon that revolved around having a witch night killed rather than lynched, how would you go about achieving this.

That is a very specific question.

This was such an understatement I laughed.

That is indeed a very specific question. I'd like to see it answered.

Why'd you ask this question?

Let's extend because no one looks like they have any idea on who to lynch.

Think0028, what do you make of all the flavor information that's been coming out? Useful? Not useful? What's your strongest lead so far?

Tolyk, I noticed you've been pretty quiet. In fact, you haven't made a single post. Maybe you're in a position where you know more than the rest of us and are staying away from all the theorizing because you're worried you'd give yourself up somehow?

Bdthemag, same question as Tolyk, even to how you haven't posted yet.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2011, 05:03:56 pm »

Oh, camouflage. I wasn't sure if I was going to claim, and I mostly have a motive for asking questions, as such an oddly specific question about a third party with an unusual wincon would draw all attention away from the miller question.

Also, day 1 is always a slow day as far as getting the RVS out of the way, but are where is everybody? Extend I guess.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2011, 05:05:16 pm »

I feel silly for making you reiterate your own posts, Max. I need to read instead of skim more often... My apologies. Unvote.

Bdthemag: If someone was lurking in such a way as to appear irrefutably scummy, would you vote for that person, or withhold judgement to avoid a comment directed at your own notorious lurking habits?

Also, Extend.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39